Summer Vaca? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Vaca?

Lake George is an awesome lake - the town very touristy. Did the para sailing several years ago. Foliage season a cool time to visit.

I've been going there for 24 years and I've been to lake George village maybe....twice? We stay at a place in Bolton landing where we rent cottages. Spend 95% of our team by the water. Town very touristy, place is dead in the winter. In terms of sheer beauty though, the lake has it. Crystal clear blue water. Unreal wealth on that lake, too.

I absolutely love people who pay likely a decent chunk of money (depending on place) to vacation/stay in a place around lake George and then they swim at the place's pool. Meanwhile a thirty mile lake is ten feet away. Hilarious.

Mayweather - Pacquiao??
Sort of but not really, but, let me explain... First of all huge boxing fans here, since my brothers and I were little kids. We host a lot of fights with a lot of my family. It started off as headed to Vegas to attend, before I was told it would be 3K per, at least. In saving for Atlantis, we declined. So then we got an offer for 3 nights free, due to.. (not my gambling habit), at NY NY. Of course we can't pass that up. Kentucky Derby, the NFL draft and Cinco de Mayo all in one weekend. Then we we planned on doing the closed caption viewing (since it is a MGM property), for $150 each. Well those started going for 180+ and sold out. So we're going to a friends house local Vegas, with an in ground pool and grill, and 96" flat screen. We'll hit the strip after and often for the weekend. We have the Golden Steer booked as we're huge steakhouse connoisseurs (food/history). I'll report back if I make it..

Last edited:
The wife and I are doing a seven day southern Carribean cruise in September. The boat leaves from San Juan and stops in St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. Last year we did a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. Spent three days in Rome before embarking. Took a train ride to Florence one of those days. Went to Sicily, Naples, Venice, Slovenia, Dubrovnik, Split, Montenegro and Corfu. We took a four hour Vatican tour. Took a tour of Pompeii. We've been kicking around the idea of going to the Seychelles next year.

Last edited:
MiniCuse said:
The wife and I are doing a seven day southern Carribean cruise in September. The boat leaves from San Juan and stops in St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados.

Love cruises and that seems like a nice route. Love St. Maartan. Does seem like 1 stop too many for a 7 day. I actually enjoy sea days.

Love cruises and that seems like a nice route. Love St. Maartan. Does seem like 1 stop too many for a 7 day. I actually enjoy sea days.

We pick our cruises based on itinerary. I've been to San Juan and St. Maarten once before. That was on the U.S.S. George Washington. Sea days on that aren't nearly as relaxing as having a late breakfast out on the stateroom balcony.

The wife and I are doing a seven day southern Carribean cruise in September. The boat leaves from San Juan and stops in St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados.

We are not cruise people but we are Caribbean fans. Been to St Maarten three times, St Kitts five times and Barbados three times. Obviously three of our favorite places so you should have a nice trip. Going to Antigua next month. If you need any out of the way non tour places to go to let me know.

We are not cruise people but we are Caribbean fans. Been to St Maarten three times, St Kitts five times and Barbados three times. Obviously three of our favorite places so you should have a nice trip. Going to Antigua next month. If you need any out of the way non tour places to go to let me know.

The wife and I have done one previous Caribbean cruise. That was a western Caribbean. Other than Grand Cayman, we were largely unimpressed with the itinerary stops. We like this upcoming itinerary much more. I'm an ex-Navy guy, salt is in my blood. There's nothing quite like being out to sea on a moonless, cloudless night. Just the stars above and the 20 knot whoosh of the sea below.

Unlike most, I will be trying to get away from society. Two weeks of fishing, drinking, eating and more drinking with a couple of friends deep in the woods of the Moose River Plains(Adirondaks).
We play/fish in the Rocky mountains all the time, but there's just something different and magnetic about the Adirondacks. I love it up there.

#Hardnosed said:
Floating around Canandaigua Lake as much as possible

Ahh I'm still seeing if I can squeeze a quick trip back this summer. If you ever see a crew wake surfing near the sand bar, good chance it's my crew.

Hola, from Sayulita, Mexico. There now with my wife and three year old. My take: amazing! Great beach for bathers and surfers alike, great weather (this time of year, though rainy season starts in a couple months) cheap rentals, and good food! Been here a week, next to the beach, no car rental, tons of fun, and my kid is happy!

Last edited:
The best vacations I've been on were the following:

St. Lucia - great place to go with the wife, leave the kids with grandma.

CM dude ranch, Dubois Wyoming - bring the kids, the whole family will have a blast. Beautiful.

Best vacation I have been on was a 7 day western med cruise from Rome.

Also did a Australia/New Zealand cruise although I feel it is not quite there as far as bang for the buck. That is an expensive trip and in all honesty, while they were excellent destinations, Australia and New Zealand were no where near as exotic as I thought they would be. Sydney for example was like a combination of LA and London. New Zealand had lots of natural beauty but not drastically different than Alaska which can be visited much easier and cheaper.

My girlfriend has been teaching English in Malaysia since New Year's, and she's from Australia/her cousins and grandparents still live in Australia, so we're meeting up in Australia to spend two weeks together. First week meeting her grandparents and cousins, 2nd week exploring the rain forest, scuba diving, chilling on the beach, etc.

The only other time I've ever left the country (not counting Toronto/Niagara Falls since its like a couple hours away) was to explore the Mayan Ruins and chill on the beach in Belize, so needless to say I'm extremely excited about this trip.

Last edited:
My girlfriend has been teaching English in Malaysia since New Year's, and she's from Australia/her cousins and grandparents still live in Australia, so we're meeting up in Australia to spend two weeks together. First week meeting her grandparents and cousins, 2nd week exploring the rain forest, scuba diving, chilling on the beach, etc.

The only other time I've ever left country (not counting Toronto/Niagara Falls since its like a couple hours away) was to explore the Mayan Ruins and chill on the beach in Belize, so needless to say I'm extremely excited about this trip.

I studied abroad in Australia my spring semester of junior year at SU.

University of New South Wales, like twenty minutes outside Sydney.

Best four months of my life by a wide margin.

Sort of but not really, but, let me explain... First of all huge boxing fans here, since my brothers and I were little kids. We host a lot of fights with a lot of my family. It started off as headed to Vegas to attend, before I was told it would be 3K per, at least. In saving for Atlantis, we declined. So then we got an offer for 3 nights free, due to.. (not my gambling habit), at NY NY. Of course we can't pass that up. Kentucky Derby, the NFL draft and Cinco de Mayo all in one weekend. Then we we planned on doing the closed caption viewing (since it is a MGM property), for $150 each. Well those started going for 180+ and sold out. So we're going to a friends house local Vegas, with an in ground pool and grill, and 96" flat screen. We'll hit the strip after and often for the weekend. We have the Golden Steer booked as we're huge steakhouse connoisseurs (food/history). I'll report back if I make it..
Sounds like a time. That is not a weekend for the faint of heart...

We stay in la jolla shores. My future retirement destination. I will never go to florida ever again
If you head south, never go beyond Jacksonville unless it's for a limited time.

Edit: I will say take a look at St. Augustine. Lot of history and some of the best beaches towards St. Augustine Beach. Better than Hilton Head.

Last edited:
Got a couple of good ones as well from a recent Charleston trip:
Jestine's kitchen
Nick's bbq
Swamp Fox Restaurant

Will check your place out next time around. :)
If you can get reservations, try Husk.

For fun, take the foodie restaurant tour.

realorange said:
If you can get reservations, try Husk. For fun, take the foodie restaurant tour.

Husk. Solid. Just ate there a few weeks ago.

I'm Bored.

Anyone going anywhere cool this summer?

Looks like I'm staying in state this year. Saving my monies for Atlantis. Planning on spending a lot of time on the Klutina river, trying to fill my freezer with king salmon.

Let me live vicariously through you guys? Where ya headed?

King Salmon? You just need to catch any salmon brother!

My wife and I are dropping the kids off at their grandparents and heading to Hawaii for a week and a half in late May. :)

That's where I am at this very second. Finishing the first leg of our tour - Kauai - and heading over to the big island tomorrow.

As for actual summer vacations, unlikely after spending all the dough we did on this one, but maybe the vineyard. The boy has two tourneys this summer for his under 13 lax team - Long Island and Ayer, MA. We might tack on a trip to the cape or the vineyard after the MA tourney.