Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement

It’s a safe bet that most here played sports at least through the high school level. So, most understand what it means to be an athlete/competitor.

I can’t speak for them, but athletes usually know when they’re playing for something worthwhile. Anecdotally, I was on a football team that was bounced from Sectionals and we all wanted to just end the season. Playing down a class just to get an extra game in wasn’t a priority for the seniors or juniors. We were more or less forced to play. I think our eye-rolls during the game could be seen from the stands. What value did that game have?
If that’s your take then good luck with life. I would give anything to go back and play competitive anything again. I loved every second, the practices, the yelling, the pain, the drama. I ate it up and pushed harder and harder to win. It didn’t matter if it was a playoff game, a scrimmage, a regular season game. I took that into life, work hard and fight for everything. That has given me a pretty great life.

If that’s your take then good luck with life. I would give anything to go back and play competitive anything again. I loved every second, the practices, the yelling, the pain, the drama. I ate it up and pushed harder and harder to win. It didn’t matter if it was a playoff game, a scrimmage, a regular season game. I took that into life, work hard and fight for everything. That has given me a pretty great life.
Wait are you Tony Robbins?

This is a gigantic nothing-burger. No one outside of this fan base cares AT ALL about whether we were invited to the NIT, or declined. Hell, I bet a majority of our fan base doesn't care either.

Put out statement, or don't, whatever.
I care.

If the team can play, it should play.

Like it or not, the NIT is a national championship event.

At the very least, it affords the coaches more opportunities to coach in in-game situations.

I bet Jim Boeheim would have chosen to play.

I’m in my 30’s. I, too, miss playing competitive sports. I’m doing just fine in life. That meaningless glorified scrimmage after a week of nonsense practice at the end of the season wasn’t something to take pride in. Beating that school meant absolutely nothing.

The NIT, especially in modern hoops, means nothing.

I think our fan presence in away venues suggests otherwise.

Now if we continue to miss the tournament then, yes, eventually people lose hope and move on with their lives.
right hence the reason I included people with ties to the 315 (code for former residents).

I was on team, play in the NIT. It appears though now that we are going to be making major moves led by beloved former players to save the program their head coach built. I hope the major moves are successful and we continue the Boeheim legacy. If we aren’t, it’s ok, but I’m glad that the administration gave it a shot to see if we can move forward keeping it in the family. If we aren’t successful, hopefully we make a similar hire like UConn when they weren’t successful in keeping it in the family and we land a Dan Hurley type in 5 years.

I care.

If the team can play, it should play.

Like it or not, the NIT is a national championship event.

At the very least, it affords the coaches more opportunities to coach in in-game situations.

I bet Jim Boeheim would have chosen to play.
Not if most of his team was in the transfer portal. This is a new time.

You should NEVER decline an opportunity to play more and get better. IF they really declined to play in the NIT that is shameful.
Just curious, not being confrontational at all, but do you care more about NIT or getting better for next year and future? And answer can’t be both in this day and age unfortunately

You have red say in a pressor that you are going to take a bid to a post season tournament, then you see a story that says that the administration is not responding to reporter comments about whether they chose to not be included. Maybe spiraling is the wrong word but it's not hard to see how that can lead to some annoyance on the part of the fans and certainly raises concerns for me around why something as simple as responding to a reporter is a task that takes 2 hours. This isn't about the choice not to go, it is about this being yet another troubling pattern of communication lapses that seem to plague this school consistently.

You have the answers for everything. Just send JW a resume and get to fixing it all.

Just curious, not being confrontational at all, but do you care more about NIT or getting better for next year and future? And answer can’t be both in this day and age unfortunately

Time is precious, especially in the portal era. Being able to jump into the transfer stuff way earlier than most teams, the better.

Plus, the NIT to me as always felt like a test for new college rules (quarters vs. halves, shortened shot clock, extended three point line). No point playing in a tournament that treats itself like that.

This thread is a feeding frenzy /therapy session it seems for those not happy about the Red hire. Wow.

We are far from the only team to turn down an invite. Let’s play with a team of 3 guys and walk ons or with a bunch of guys who won’t be here so we can give them a chance to showcase to their future schools… while we are forced to slowplay the effort to replace them. What a grand idea…

This thread is a feeding frenzy /therapy session it seems for those not happy about the Red hire. Wow.
People have been waiting to feast on something with him. Wait until the guys who leave are leaving. Everyone who complained about the same players all year will blame red that they are leaving and it’s his fault. Should be a fun week of reading lol

I made a post a few days ago about how we seem to whine this year more than our players did.

This is what I meant.

I know many have a good head on their shoulders..

But I hope if the team gets a fresh start next year, so does the fan base.

Seems like it would be healthy for us all lol.

I made a post a few days ago about how we seem to whine this year more than our players did.

This is what I meant.

I know many have a good head on their shoulders..

But I hope if the team gets a fresh start next year, so does the fan base.

Seems like it would be healthy for us all lol.

Meanwhile gonna make sure and have enough refreshments to root on everyone we can’t stand to lose early in the tourney.

Meanwhile gonna make sure and have enough refreshments to root on everyone we can’t stand to lose early in the tourney.
And I just put money on Yukon to win everything at +400. Figured I might as well enjoy my misery with a nice weekend away with my wife courtesy of Dan Hurley.

People have been waiting to feast on something with him. Wait until the guys who leave are leaving. Everyone who complained about the same players all year will blame red that they are leaving and it’s his fault. Should be a fun week of reading lol
It’s the same people who think these players are the one getting us anywhere.

The only thing about this situation that will upset me is if we don’t spend whatever it takes to become an NCAA tournament team.

Stating that as the only goal is fine by me so long as we have the NIL $ to make it happen.

I don't think it's an either or...but...I'd rather be better next year. However, not playing in the NIT doesn't mean we'll be getting better for next year and the future. What I do know, is the more practice and game time my kids have the better they are (and become.) Facts.

No idea the logic behind the last sentence. It can't be both in this day and age ? Are you saying because we get some sort of recruiting/portal advantage by not playing/practicing anymore ?

Last edited:
You have the answers for everything. Just send JW a resume and get to fixing it all.
This is basic PR stuff that SU just bungles constantly. It happened with Boeheim all the time, then when Red took over it happened with his explanations (or lack thereof) for Jesse leaving, Benny being in and out and now this. It happens with football all the time too. Fans don't need to know every little thing that goes on, but other programs of our ilk as well as those we aspire to emulate don't seem to have these issues. Why is that?

I don't think it's an either or...but...I'd rather be better next year. However, not playing in the NIT doesn't mean we'll be getting better for next and the future. What I do know, is the more practice and game time my kids have the better they are (and become.) Facts.

No idea the logic behind the last sentence. It can't be both in this day and age ? Are you saying because we get some sort of recruiting/portal advantage by not playing/practicing anymore ?
100 percent an advantage. First in to the pool creates the biggest waves

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom