Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement

As I mentioned to the board last summer…college brands are basically dead. It’s all about chance to play, $$$$ and coaching relationships. That’s it.
Then Duke must have one helluva brinks truck. Let's hope our basketball NIL sees an uptick similar to the FB resurgence. If we get outbid for a prized player during the off-season it's going to cement the idea that we can't compete in that space.

I can’t imagine the meltdown if Maliq blows out an ACL in an NIT game because Kyle Cuffe or someone else is playing out of position because others are portalling and refusing to play.

If you support NIL, then you have to support the business decision some of these players are making to protect their marketability.

There’s a lot of people in this thread who are trying to have it both ways.

I can’t imagine the meltdown if Maliq blows out an ACL in an NIT game because Kyle Cuffe or someone else is playing out of position because others are portalling and refusing to play.

If you support NIL, then you have to support the business decision some of these players are making to protect their marketability.

The number of “hero ball” & “lazy” h0t tAke comments on the board in response to an NIT blowout would flock like the salmon of Capistrano

100 percent an advantage. First in to the pool creates the biggest waves
Is this really true though? The only players that will be in the portal this week are on non-tourney teams. Sure there will be some good players available but more and likely better players will be available as teams are eliminated from the NCAA tournament.

Also, I'm sure the NCAA tournament teams have enough resources to closely keep track of the portal this week and contact portal players too.

People with no idea what's going on behind the scenes, telling them what they should do.

I would like it if we played in the NIT, but this isn't remotely the same landscape as 5 years ago.

Is this really true though? The only players that will be in the portal this week are on non-tourney teams. Sure there will be some good players available but more and likely better players will be available as teams are eliminated from the NCAA tournament.

Also, I'm sure the NCAA tournament teams have enough resources to closely keep track of the portal this week and contact portal players too.
The contact all happens quietly behind the scenes. I mean look what Fran did

and they are being crucified. Have some stones. Us fans deserve the truth.

Who cares? And who are they being crucified by? That moron Brent Axe? Please. I mean, I wanted us to play in the NIT, but it sounds like a bunch of guys are hitting the portal, and it might be a struggle to field a team, let alone any kind of cohesive one with some guys who are checked out. I’d feel differently if a bunch of teams like St John’s and Pitt, who we will be competing against in the portal, weren’t also opting out. Strike while the iron is hot.

Yes because they basically have like a “draft board” of guys and they will be in early on a few

I don’t buy that. I have heard that same line for 20 years, Yet the nit is still here. Why because ppl still have a hunger for sports and the drama that comes with tournaments. If players can’t handle a few extra games then so be it go home and count your money while the real players give their heart and soul for the sport they love and the fans come out to watch it. That little bit of nil money won’t last but the pride in playing lasts forever.
Next season, the NCAA just needs to move the portal window back a few weeks, and that should solve things.

It’s very unprofessional how they handled this. As an alum I want to see them play. I don’t care about the hot stove of these guys opting for free agency. Play the walk ons if you have to.

The system is broken if we can’t even do this. We played a bowl game w a skeleton crew.
Did you enjoy that bowl game?
Like it or not folks(for the record, I don't) this is the new landscape of college sports. The athletes don't want to play if they don't have incentive ($) to do so. There are multiple teams facing the same reality.

If the NIT can put on a fun, entertaining tournament without providing a monetary incentive to the winners, good for them. Otherwise, they might have to offer prize money in the future.

This is the environment we as fans have helped create and we have to own it.

hoops can be turned around in one season. Many schools who portal kids make a massive jump. Based on what I am hearing I would be stunned if we arent ranked the entire season next year
LOVE to hear this, Marsh. There are a few names that have been bandied about on here and elsewhere, and they do have me excited about the possibilities.

Who cares? And who are they being crucified by? That moron Brent Axe? Please. I mean, I wanted us to play in the NIT, but it sounds like a bunch of guys are hitting the portal, and it might be a struggle to field a team, let alone any kind of cohesive one with some guys who are checked out. I’d feel differently if a bunch of teams like St John’s and Pitt, who we will be competing against in the portal, weren’t also opting out. Strike while the iron is hot.
Just read the comments on the tweet. A lot of fans didn't care for how things were communicated.

And I just put money on Yukon to win everything at +400. Figured I might as well enjoy my misery with a nice weekend away with my wife courtesy of Dan Hurley.
Parlay all the MWC schools to lose. Apart from SD State against UAB the others are locks that conference is still trash.

Will be shocked if UVA doesn't beat Colorado State by 20 tomorrow.

If you read tweet comments, in general, responses will be negative. It’s like yelp reviews. You don’t post positive as much a negative. Like I saw no reason to post “SOLID POST, SYRACUSE BASKETBALL.”
Yes, but when they are all negative that restaurant doesn't stay in business very long.

Maybe its not a story to you, but I see a worrying trend of this school seemingly always being behind the 8 ball in terms of communication with the media. This board constantly complains about how the reporters in Syracuse never have the scoop on anything: well here you go, you can't even get confirmation from the admin on something as inconsequential as denying an NIT bid.
But people who were on this Board during the NIT selection show knew it before the media did.

Yes, but when they are all negative that restaurant doesn't stay in business very long.
Maybe for smaller restaurants. But look at a review for like any Applebee's or Chili's, guaranteed they are at 2.5 stars tops.

For better or worse, Syracuse basketball is Chili's

Yes because they basically have like a “draft board” of guys and they will be in early on a few
I'm not saying you are wrong but I'm trying to understand the big advantage to not be playing now.

Won't tournament teams also be able to contact anyone in the portal early? It's not like tourney team coaches are focusing 24/7 on only their next game.

Every team these days will have a few spots open eventually due to players graduating, leaving for the draft or the portal so tournament teams just need to tell a player they will have a spot for them after they are done playing in the tourney and their players leave as some will do.

Maybe portal players do get impatient and take early offers. I guess we will see.

i guess i sort of understand sitting out a postseason game if you believe you're gonna get drafted and can't risk injury. i don't like it but i understand. but sitting out to portal ? that's BS.

If there's one thing this thread epitomizes more than anything else, is that the entire system is broken.
Declining the NIT is a non-issue, IMO. Could it have been handled better, sure. But overall the NIT has been devalued to the point where it's no better than the CBI tournament. And that's before you take in consideration that we likely wouldn't have enough players to field a team.
What's troubling is that we're at a point where opting out of a postseason bball tournament, much like a minor bowl in football, is now commonplace. Why risk injury if I'm shopping for a portal destination...it's just not worth it.
We need to establish a culture where our best players stay, develop, and provide some continuity. We can't turn into a revolving door program where every season you're scrapping the roster and starting over.
If Red is incapable of establishing some sense of the "L word"...loyalty, then we become another way station type program that treads water and HOPES to make a run every few years.

i guess i sort of understand sitting out a postseason game if you believe you're gonna get drafted and can't risk injury. i don't like it but i understand. but sitting out to portal ? that's BS.
I think of it as players protecting their earning potential either way, whether it's for the pro leagues or a college team that will pay more money than their current place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom