Taj harris | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Taj harris

My feeling is that Sharod, Cameron and maybe Ed get more looks this spring with Queeley and Lutz hot on their tails.

Havent heard any press for RTB

I agree the sky is the limits with him. One of my early favorites also. Needs more time and some more muscle and keep the attitude in check. I heard from a good source who knows him really well and his only problem to a certain degree he is a bit over cocky and he feels it is all about him. Not saying it isn't good to be a little cocky or as I call it confidence but don't do it as to where it rubs people wrong. He is young and has been pretty successful in his young college life. I just hope he keeps it all in perspective.
Thats all part of being a Wide Receiver.

Just don't call it Saturday Gravy.

I'm sorry, Italian-Americans. That's just weird.

There is debate in the community on that phrase.

Not on the level the vicious Pop/Soda debate or the hero,sub, grinder, hogiie Donniebrook

There is debate in the community on that phrase.

Not on the level the vicious Pop/Soda debate or the hero,sub, grinder, hogiie Donniebrook

I’m here in NJ now and not only do I not care if you call it Pork Roll or Taylor Ham, I’ve never even considered ordering it.

Taj Harris is really going to be something. Concern is he's too skinny:

1-6-copy.jpg

Prediction - the Goldberg and the S&C staff will have him looking like David Boston next year though:

David-Boston-580x386.jpg

My summary of the younger and new receiving talent on the team from SU football preview last fall:

As with the quarterback and running back units, there’s some interesting young talent coming up behind the experienced players, although with the receivers their openings for getting playing time are going to be more numerous. One guy who isn’t going to get a shot is Trishton Jackson, who like Abdul Adams, is a highly recruited, (4 stars) transfer from a school whose success we envy, (Michigan State). He had 8 catches for 168 yards in their 2017 spring game but only 12 for 143 in their regular season as he lost his job to Cody White. He had 5 catches for 89 and a score as a freshman. He will have two years of eligibility left. He was considered as high as the 25th best wide receiver in his high school class, (by Scout), although, like Butler, he played quarterback. He a talented athlete who wants to play with Jim Boeheim’s basketball team a as walk-on. Here’s his high school highlight film:
He’s #1: the quarterback. Looks like he could get plenty of YAC – next year.

A lot of people are excited about Russell Thompson-Bishop (RTB) who at 6-1 215 had good size and a lot of strength to fight his way open. He also has excellent speed, as reflected in his averages per catch in high school: overall: 133 receptions for 2,768 yards (20.8 avg.) and 35 touchdowns. As a senior: 41 passes for 728 yards (17.8 avg.) and 11 TDs. He also played basketball and led the state of Connecticut in blocked shots with 4.6. Did I say he was 6-1? Let’s take a look at him playing football in high school:
Syracuse football recruiting: Get to know WR Russell Thompson-Bishop
He looks like the sort of guy quarterbacks love to throw to- a guy who can go up and get it in a crowd and make the QB look good. He’s also the ideal guy to target over the middle.

Johnson and Johnson are a key part of any team – they make band aids. We have Johnson & Johnson and Johnson. Last year we had Nykeim Johnson, who played, and Sharod Johnson who didn’t – he reshirted. They are now joined by Kevin Johnson Jr.- the son of the Kevin Johnson who played for us in the 1990’s and had a distinguished career as a pass receiver, (60 catches as a senior) and kick returner, (4 TDs, including a 100 yarder vs. Wisconsin that famously opened the 1997 season). All three are smallish: Nykeim is Riley-size at 5-8 167, Sharod 5-11 174 and Kevin Jr. 5-11 but a solid 190. All of them should provide plenty of elusiveness and speed. Nykeim had 8 catches but wasn’t able to do much with them (85 yards). He was able to return four kickoffs for 91 yards. “As a senior, caught 75 passes for 1,100 yards and 19 touchdowns … Finished with 165 receptions for 2,700 yards and 34 TDs in his prep career” (Cuse.com) He was ALL_DC area, which is a good area for football prospects Here are his high school highlights:
2017 Athlete
He looks like a speedier version of Riley who can make difficult catches.

We didn’t get to see Sharod Johnson last year but he was the 74th best wide receiver in his class, nationally. He’s from Miami, so you know he faced top-level completion. He had 50 catches for 764 (15.3), yards and seven touchdowns. “Caught six passes for 92 yards and two TDs for the Tornadoes, including the game-winner, in their victory against top-ranked St. Thomas Aquinas.” (Cuse.com). Let’s take a look:
LOOSE SCREW !! (Sr.Year)
He looks like a good possession receiver, (usual 100% catch rate in a highlight film), who also has the ability to get past people and make the big play.

Kevin Johnson, Jr. played for “The Hun” school in New Jersey, (do they teach them to conquer and pillage?) and caught 32 passes for 795 yards (24.8!) and seven touchdowns. He then transferred to IMG in Miami, (the sort of place that collects top prospects) “and helped the Ascenders to an 8-0 record and the No. 2 final ranking in the USA Today Super 25 poll” (Cuse.com), where he “mostly played on special teams” per Nunesmagician.com. They have some film of him as a junior:
Get to Know Your Orange Man: #83, WR Kevin Johnson Jr.
It looks like he runs routes really well and has the strength to fight off defenders. With so many Johnson’s, he’s considered a “redshirt” candidate but that new redshirt rule, (they can play up to 4 games), we may see him this year anyway, probably, as at IMG, on special teams. But with his pedigree, he may be a key receiver for us in the future.

Cameron Jordan made the two deep behind Devin Butler as a redshirt freshman. He’s from Long Island and is another big target at 6-3 202. He got three starts from most of the services. “As a senior captain, tallied 22 receptions for 614 yards (27.9!) and 11 touchdowns to lead Half Hollow Hills West to a 9-3 record and the Suffolk Country Division II title … As a junior, had 29 catches for 854 yards (29.4!)” (Cuse.com). Here is his highlight film:
Cameron Jordan Senior Year
So many of these guys wore #1. That may be a good sign. Cam seems like the guy you’d like to throw the deep bomb to several times a game.

Taj Harris is a three star wide receiver prospect out of New Jersey, another good area, (usually way better than New York). He started out as a wide receiver in high school but switched to quarterback and has now switched back. “As a sophomore, caught 51 passes for 1,101 yards and 13 touchdowns … Recorded 990 yards from scrimmage (600 rushing, 390 receiving) and nine touchdowns as a junior, in addition to throwing for 441 yards and seven scores…As a senior quarterback in 2017, Harris accounted for 29 touchdowns and more than 2,300 yards of offense … Passed for 1,550 and 19 touchdowns, while rushing for 979 yards and 10 TDs” (Cuse.com). Quite a versatile football player. Here’s his highlight film:
senior highlights
We’ll have plenty of guys who can throw the pass off the end around: Harris, Butler and (next year) Jackson).

Ed Hendrix is another newcomer people are excited about. He’s another tall receiver at 6-3. He’s another DC kid who is rated 3 stars and the #77 receiver in his high school class by 247sports. “Caught 68 passes for 1,535 yards (22.6 avg.) and 24 touchdowns in three seasons for the Warriors, including 27 receptions for 585 yards (21.7 avg.) and 14 touchdowns as a senior captain.” (Cuse.com). His highlights, (the senior highlights come on after the junior highlights):
JUNIOR SEASON HIGHLIGHT TAPE!!
He looks like a tall target that a quarterback would look for when he needs a completion.

Anthony Queeley is a three star recruit from Florida. “ Caught 73 passes for 1,063 yards (14.6 avg.) and seven touchdowns as a junior … As a senior captain in 2017, made 77 receptions for 1,197 yards (15.5 avg.) and 13 TDs” Nunes: “Put up exactly the type of numbers we’d like to see more of at SU.” Highlights:
Senior Clips Anthony Queeley

Harris was excellent this year and Nykeim Johnson was good. I'd also like to see what these other guys can do. They seem like a sea change of talent at the WR position.

How does that WV player not get banned from college football? Dangerous, flagrant, viscious and sadistic.
“And what was your rationale for spearing a defenseless Harris in the head?”
“It’s part of the game.”
“Really. Well your not.”

Thuggery is thuggery. Is there another level to this I’m missing?

We have the #14 in offense per game and averaged 40.2 points per game. Not too shabby, but I agree, averaging 50 or more PPG is a lofty goal.

Plus We have a new starting QB and have to retool the OL... I wouldn't make that prediction. It's more likely we'll see some growing pains.

Plus We have a new starting QB and have to retool the OL... I wouldn't make that prediction. It's more likely we'll see some growing pains.

Last year everyone was worried about WR.

ED is legendary and rightly so. But it's easy to look back at the pre-NC State game QB battle and say "the right choice was made" while forgetting that it's insane that TD made it a battle mid-season vs a guy like Eric.

OL, sure. But I'd be more shocked to see TD suffer too many growing pains than him doing better than ED in a lot of categories right out of the box.

Last year everyone was worried about WR.

ED is legendary and rightly so. But it's easy to look back at the pre-NC State game QB battle and say "the right choice was made" while forgetting that it's insane that TD made it a battle mid-season vs a guy like Eric.

OL, sure. But I'd be more shocked to see TD suffer too many growing pains than him doing better than ED in a lot of categories right out of the box.

OL worries me the most.

If we can't open the running lanes consistently, only so much a stable of decent backs can do scraping yardage in nonexistent gaps... and we need the running game to open up the passing game and not be too one dimensional, of course.

Solving that will be key...

Along with who will takeover Slayton's spot effectively on D... The guy was an absolute beast and did the dirty work needed for Robinson and Coleman to wreak havoc from the edges.

OL worries me the most.

If we can't open the running lanes consistently, only so much a stable of decent backs can do scraping yardage in nonexistent gaps... and we need the running game to open up the passing game and not be too one dimensional, of course.

Solving that will be key...

That's definitely a valid concern. But we played 8-9 OL regularly this year, so despite losing three starters -- we at least have some guys ready to ascend. Will be very interesting this spring to see what both Davises and Vettorello can do, and whether Froumy / White are ready for a spot on the two deep. Will also be interesting to see whether a better option emerges at C than Heckel.

That's definitely a valid concern. But we played 8-9 OL regularly this year, so despite losing three starters -- we at least have some guys ready to ascend. Will be very interesting this spring to see what both Davises and Vettorello can do, and whether Froumy / White are ready for a spot on the two deep. Will also be interesting to see whether a better option emerges at C than Heckel.

Dino already said he's looking at possible grad transfer p/u's in the OL, so I think that tells you what he thinks on the current stable in OL and that he has some concerns as well.

Also interesting that he said grad transfers and not JUCO's... one year p/u's instead of 2... he must like some of the young talent but sees us having gaps next year with younger guys that may not be ready. Certainly not atypical as OL guys often have to beef up for a year or two before they are ready to play at the P5 level.

Dino already said he's looking at possible grad transfer p/u's in the OL, so I think that tells you what he thinks on the current stable in OL and that he has some concerns as well.

Also interesting that he said grad transfers and not JUCO's... one year p/u's instead of 2... he must like some of the young talent but sees us having gaps next year with younger guys that may not be ready. Certainly not atypical as OL guys often have to beef up for a year or two before they are ready to play at the P5 level.

I definitely agree that OL is the positional unit that enters next year with the most question marks. But I think you might be overstating things a bit.

For one, we DID bring in a JUCO OL -- the kid from Lackawanna CC. I also think that his statements about the grad transfer are white noise. OF COURSE they'll take a starting caliber OL if one wants to come here, a la Koda Martin, but that doesn't mean that one will. If the staff has the opportunity to add a good fit who will crack the two deep, then I'm certainly all in favor of adding a fifth-year transfer to bolster the OL, I just believe that situations like Martin's --where the kid is an NFL caliber talent -- shouldn't be counted upon to happen with regularity.

Again, it will be interesting to see what incumbents like P. Davis, D. Davis, Heckel, Clark, and Deureng are able to do. I'm also interested to see whether Froumy / White [or both] make the jump after redshirting and challenge for a spot on the two deep. Would love to see at least one of them emerge -- sucks to have to replace both OTs the same year.

I definitely agree that OL is the positional unit that enters next year with the most question marks. But I think you might be overstating things a bit.

For one, we DID bring in a JUCO OL -- the kid from Lackawanna CC. I also think that his statements about the grad transfer are white noise. OF COURSE they'll take a starting caliber OL if one wants to come here, a la Koda Martin, but that doesn't mean that one will. If the staff has the opportunity to add a good fit who will crack the two deep, then I'm certainly all in favor of adding a fifth-year transfer to bolster the OL, I just believe that situations like Martin's --where the kid is an NFL caliber talent -- shouldn't be counted upon to happen with regularity.

Again, it will be interesting to see what incumbents like P. Davis, D. Davis, Heckel, Clark, and Deureng are able to do. I'm also interested to see whether Froumy / White [or both] make the jump after redshirting and challenge for a spot on the two deep. Would love to see at least one of them emerge -- sucks to have to replace both OTs the same year.

Why not? Dino's got other daughters to marry off!

We moved behind the SU bench at end of CW Bowl and Taj gave my 11 yr old son one of his Nike armbands. Now he wears it WHEREVER he goes and Taj has replaced ED as his favorite active player.
Players don't realize how much a high five or a sweaty armband means to kids... Thanks Taj!

Your loss. SOOOOO good...

And it's pork roll. ;)
Oh no. It’s great, but get north. It’s original name is Taylor’s Ham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors