Talked to Shu... | Syracusefan.com

Talked to Shu...

MattAlkire

Walk On
Hey guys,

Just talked to Shu for a bit. As I said I expected in the other thread, he's just focused on other things.

He's always been a kid that was a very out of the box thinker. Kid was on the Dean's List this year, is really into his hip hop and frankly, I don't think football is a passion anymore. He let the team know that he was leaving and it was on good terms.

This doesn't surprise me at all. He's changing to a Finance Major and he'll do something very large in life to represent Syracuse in other positive ways. He's just a very different type of kid than your normal football player. Always was.

I actually completely get him. Didn't have to ask why. Knew why.

Game just isn't the end all be all for everyone. I'm not getting into the rest of the convo, but he's a deep thinker. That's up to him to convey.

As for the rest of the kids, I didn't ask.

Anyway, figured I'd let you know. I'm sure someone will write a big article about it somewhere else. I'm not doing that. He had nothing but good things to say about Syracuse though and will remain a student there.

Thanks, Matt. And good for him to be honest with himself.

Hey guys,

Just talked to Shu for a bit. As I said I expected in the other thread, he's just focused on other things.

He's always been a kid that was a very out of the box thinker. Kid was on the Dean's List this year, is really into his hip hop and frankly, I don't think football is a passion anymore. He let the team know that he was leaving and it was on good terms.

This doesn't surprise me at all. He's changing to a Finance Major and he'll do something very large in life to represent Syracuse in other positive ways. He's just a very different type of kid than your normal football player. Always was.

Game just isn't the end all be all for everyone. I'm not getting into the rest of the convo, but he's a deep thinker. That's up to him to convey.

Anyway, figured I'd let you know. I'm sure someone will write a big article about it somewhere else. I'm not doing that. He had nothing but good things to say about Syracuse though and will remain a student there.

Thanks for the info, it happens. Glad to hear that he'll still be at SU though.

Yes, thanks Matt.

Sad to see him leave the team, but it sounds as if he has a grand plan for himself. I wish him well in all he does.

Thanks for checking on this. Disappointed as I had hoped for big things from him on the field, but sounds like he has his own priorities in line and no doubt in my mind will be successful off the field. Wish him nothing, but the best.

Hey guys,

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with making a decision like that.

Good for him - wish him well. Though I'm almost sorrier to see a dean's list biology major switching to finance than I am to see a good football player leaving football.

Thanks for checking with him Matt. He obviously thought it through and made the best decision for himself. Can't fault a kid for that especially when the academics are still a high priority. I'm sure he'll be a success in the future. Though with the cost of SU he could leave the school at some point.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

so does he lose his schollie? Is he from a rich background that can afford 50k+ tuition?

thanks matt. I had a feeling football was a secondary thing for him. He was always promoting himself as a rap artist. I think he wants to focus on music and school and football was taking too much of his time i assume

Hey Matt, its been awhile bud. Thanks for the update on this.

What've you been up to lately. Haven't seen/heard from you in awhile. What are you covering now?

Good for him, and best of luck to him. Love to hear about kids pursuing other dreams. It makes me feel like maybe, just maybe, there is hope for both students and athletes at D1 schools.

I was also told he was going to transfer to an ivy league school. So surprised to hear he's still at SU.

This happened about a month a go. I mentioned it in another thread.

I must have missed that.

I must have missed that.

I mentioned it in another thread today that he was leaving. I knew he was leaving a month a go.

I mentioned it in another thread today that he was leaving. I knew he was leaving a month a go.

Saw today you asked if he was gone. I thought you meant you posted this a month ago.

Good for Shu, it sounds like he made the right decision for him. And if he stays at Syracuse, perhaps he can support the team in other ways. He is a pretty good rapper, probably more talented as an editor/producer.

Money3189 – Football wasn’t always secondary. I talked to him for over an hour. There’s a lot to it and I won’t get into his personal reasons, but he had reasons to walk away from playing football. Frankly, I commend Shu for what he did. Not many players have the guts to make the decision he did and/or see the big picture he sees.

44PRIDE – What’s up bud? I’m still doing work for the Maxwell Football Club and will be assuming a new role for them soon. I am technically still working as the Northeast Recruiting Analyst at XOFan.com, but I’ve had to cut back and am looking for a more stable gig. They’re great guys, but it hasn’t gotten up and running fast enough.

Other than that, I’m just doing a ton of work with recruits and college coaches on the side as usual and then my draft site which I’ve been doing for nearly a decade.

As for his scholarship…

He made the Dean’s List. He may get an academic scholarship. I didn’t ask him and it wasn’t a worry of his. This was a deep-rooted decision. He’s not going to talk to reporters about it in detail. He knows what he’s doing though.

Hey guys,

Thanks for posting this and thus avoiding a lot of crazy speculation and and rumors on this board and elsewhere. I'm glad to hear his reasons for leaving the team are so positive and well thought-out.

I was close to a 4.0 in my years at SU...never had any problem getting an academic scholarship to cover the costs. (actually more than covered the cost)

I doubt that he'll have any tuition problem...unless SU has tightened their belt?

Good luck to him.

I'm just glad he is staying in school ... speaks volumes. I hope he finishes at SU and represents the school well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom