TCU qb battle | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

TCU qb battle

That's right coaches NEVER get told what to do with their staffs.

Why would I know any different.

From the reporting at the time he had no authority to renew those contracts, that was the issue. One of the issues during the negotiation window is that he wanted the guys that had expiring contracts, those that had been there two years, extended another to by synced up with the staff that had been hired when guys went to the Browns.
Go you know better as you are on the inside with Doug. His leaving had nothing to do with his assistant coaches just like his leaving SU had nothing to do with the IPF. Doug does what is good for Doug and i dont blame him for it other than the fact that he doesnt own it.

I can't help but believe that Zach Allen's potential was inflated by some on the board who were eager for a QB--ANY QB--to take us to the next level. We've seen similar hype attached to numerous QBs since McNabb, for various reasons. Cecil Howard. Chad Elliot. RJ Anderson. Perry Patterson. Joe Fields. Andrew Robinson. Cody Catalina. And Alin Edouard. And on and on and on. All supposedly the savior who was going to turn things around.

In the last 15 seasons, we've had maybe--what?--three or four total decent years of acceptable QB play, spread out over that decade-and-a-half?

Nothing against Zach Allen. I was excited for him to come, too. And I was pleased when he got referenced by those pro QBs who administered that skills camp for the top high school quarterbacks. But honestly, who knows if he would have panned out here. The transitive property doesn't apply, so just because there is an outcome at TCU doesn't mean that his career would have unfolded the same way if he'd ended up here. Plus, TCU is a top 10 caliber program right now, coming off of a period of sustained excellence. So their coffers are probably well-stocked--whereas ours are not at QB.

But I have to question whether the kid has the chops to be a QB at this level. Guess we'll never know.

And now it's on to hoping that Long or Edouard or Dungey or the late signee from Alabama [Womack] is the one to put us over the top...

His performance at the Elite11 is what got everybody hyped up. He out performed some of the best qb prospects in the country. In his case I think the hype was justified.

His performance at the Elite11 is what got everybody hyped up. He out performed some of the best qb prospects in the country. In his case I think the hype was justified.

I remember. I believe it was Trent Dilfer who called him his favorite QB at the camp. But let's not get carried away--I don't believe that he made the final leader board, and finished outside of the top 10 if I recall correctly. I don't know that he "out performed some of the best qb prospects in the country," or if it was more of a case of him not having their lofty rankings and coming in and opening eyes. Seemed like more of the latter to me--especially when I watched the ESPN coverage of the camp, and he garnered about 6 total seconds of air time.

And not to pick on you, but your description is an example of what I talked about above--we were so desperate for a quality playmaker after the dearth we endured that we'd latch onto any positive tidbit and exaggerated what it meant in terms of the player's potential. Lots of rationalization over the years about various QB prospects; I remember lengthy board discussions about how Joe Fields's intrinsic leadership attributes and Texas schoolboy background would translate into him being more ready than most incoming frosh, and make him the next great one here. Oof.

But it is all speculation--no way of knowing what Allen might've done here. :noidea:

Last edited:
In order to be a good QB at any level there has to be more than just talent unless that talent is exceptional.

The right O for the talent. There has to be a fit.

Coaches and the player have to click.

Chemistry with the team is key. Hunt has this

Other players. A strong line, WR who can open, a back or two to take the pressure off. and on and on and on. In short it isnt just about the talent of the QB.

In order to be a good QB at any level there has to be more than just talent unless that talent is exceptional.

The right O for the talent. There has to be a fit.

Coaches and the player have to click.

Chemistry with the team is key. Hunt has this

Other players. A strong line, WR's who can get open, a back or two to take the pressure off. and on and on and on. In short it isnt just about the talent of the QB.
Houston i think we have a site issue

RF2044 said:
I remember. I believe it was Trent Dilfer who called him his favorite QB at the camp. But let's not get carried away--I don't believe that he made the final leader board, and finished outside of the top 10 if I recall correctly. I don't know that he "out performed some of the best qb prospects in the country," or if it was more of a case of him not having their lofty rankings and coming in and opening eyes. Seemed like more of the latter to me--especially when I watched the ESPN coverage of the camp, and he garnered about 6 total seconds of air time. And not to pick on you, but your description is an example of what I talked about above--we were so desperate for a quality playmaker after the dearth we endured that we'd latch onto any positive tidbit and exaggerated what it meant in terms of the player's potential. Lots of rationalization over the years about various QB prospects; I remember lengthy board discussions about how Joe Fields's intrinsic leadership attributes and Texas schoolboy background would translate into him being more ready than most incoming frosh, and make him the next great one here. Oof. But it is all speculation--no way of knowing what Allen might've done here. :noidea:

I think Allen won one of Dilfers camp awards. RipVanWinkle I believe? It's for the biggest sleeper.

And I totally agree that we have a total lack of playmakers.

Go you know better as you are on the inside with Doug. His leaving had nothing to do with his assistant coaches just like his leaving SU had nothing to do with the IPF. Doug does what is good for Doug and i dont blame him for it other than the fact that he doesnt own it.

All I know is what I read in the papers.

All I know is what I read in the papers.
i for one have always suspected everything you know comes from bud poliquin columns. and maybe a Cathy cartoon here and there

I don't know Nassib improved greatly over his career. You sure are giving Nassib a lot of credit. I am sure Hackett, and Marrone's development had nothing to do with it.
Marone did NOT recruit him that's it period and obviously he's a top of the line QB because he's an NFL player BTW GROB found out about Nassib from Dick vermeil.

Marone did NOT recruit him that's it period and obviously he's a top of the line QB because he's an NFL player BTW GROB found out about Nassib from Dick vermeil.

I never said Marrone recruited him, but him and Hackett sure did develop him. In case you forgot what he looked like early in his career i'd say they did one hell of a job.

I never said Marrone recruited him, but him and Hackett sure did develop him. In case you forgot what he looked like early in his career i'd say they did one hell of a job.
Agreed. Nassib himself said sitting the year behind Paulus was the best thing that could have happened to him. He wasn't ready but he gradually became a decent QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom