TCU qb battle | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

TCU qb battle

Doug Marrone the coach > better than Scott Shafer the coach.

And that's what they get paid for and that's what people pay for, not who the better guy is at the barbecue.

I agree with this - but you can't say it doesn't matter. It does. The parts of the job that Marrone didn't want to do are largely tied to his ornery disposition. Or his dislike for it caused the ornery disposition. Either way - I want a guy who his good at the job - all of it - not just the parts he likes the most.

Scott Shafer has good character but he has shown very little in two years to earn my trust. He hired Bobby Acosta and that is probably the best thing he did after Doug Marrone left. Marrone took over a property that was leaky, had seams in the foundation and overhauled the property back to modern times. Now Marrone didn't completely finish the job, but he made the property marketable and turned it into a decent program.

Scott Shafer hasn't had a decent offense in two years and that ISIS press conference was clown show 101 for dumb HC. SS decision making in the Pitt and BC made fans apathetic. I was at the BC game and after he punted from the BC 30 I left the game to go tailgating because SS basically told me the game didn't matter.

Zack Allen could have been a good QB here if he came. It doesn't matter it didn't work for him at TCU. Plenty of MAC QBs could go to Big Ten schools and play WR/DB there, but want to be QBs and do it in the MAC. Allen should try to graduate this year and transfer with 2 years of eligibility left or transfer to a 1-AA if he actually wants to play QB.

Alsacs said:
Scott Shafer has good character but he has shown very little in two years to earn my trust. He hired Bobby Acosta and that is probably the best thing he did after Doug Marrone left. Marrone took over a property that was leaky, had seams in the foundation and overhauled the property back to modern times. Now Marrone didn't completely finish the job, but he made the property marketable and turned it into a decent program. Scott Shafer hasn't had a decent offense in two years and that ISIS press conference was clown show 101 for dumb HC. SS decision making in the Pitt and BC made fans apathetic. I was at the BC game and after he punted from the BC 30 I left the game to go tailgating because SS basically told me the game didn't matter. Zack Allen could have been a good QB here if he came. It doesn't matter it didn't work for him at TCU. Plenty of MAC QBs could go to Big Ten schools and play WR/DB there, but want to be QBs and do it in the MAC. Allen should try to graduate this year and transfer with 2 years of eligibility left or transfer to a 1-AA if he actually wants to play QB.

Honestly - the offense and dumb punting decisions are legit and enough to put him on the hot seat. That anyone brings up the ISIS stuff is being silly. It was a dumb thing to say - but cmon - he was trying to say "it's just a game" and picked the topic of the day. Stupid, but if he'd won 3 more games no one cares.

if there are 3rd or 4th stringers out there who'd be good starters out there, let's get some transfers

3rd string at TCU means he wouldn't play here? People are nuts.

Seriously. As long as our HC is covering up child rape I can care less about their personalities, or likability. If they are getting recruits, and more importantly getting wins, that's all we should carry about.
I'm hoping that is a typo ;-)

Honestly - the offense and dumb punting decisions are legit and enough to put him on the hot seat. That anyone brings up the ISIS stuff is being silly. It was a dumb thing to say - but cmon - he was trying to say "it's just a game" and picked the topic of the day. Stupid, but if he'd won 3 more games no one cares.

I REALLY hate, the "it's just a game". It's "just a game" for me, for you, for every other fan out there. For him, its not, its his job. I think hes getting paid a million dollars for it, I might add. His job is to WIN those games. And frankly, we were god awful last year. Like really really bad awful. And that spring game performance didnt do anything to make me reconsider expectations.

I hope to be pleasantly suprised.

orangeinjersey said:
I REALLY hate, the "it's just a game". It's "just a game" for me, for you, for every other fan out there. For him, its not, its his job. I think hes getting paid a million dollars for it, I might add. His job is to WIN those games. And frankly, we were god awful last year. Like really really bad awful. And that spring game performance didnt do anything to make me reconsider expectations. I hope to be pleasantly suprised.

Agreed. If there's anything there, it's that.

One thing g seems certain - it's win or be gone. Even then a new AD may decide he/she wants their own guy. Just getting to a bowl may not be good enough.

Those buddies he "screwed" had expiring contracts. That was one of his demands, that those guys that had come over with him were extended.

Bills said no.
He's right where he deserves to be and where he began he's an NFL position coach

Ya but if it was Shafer recruiting a qb they will all be great.

How many qb's did Marrone even recruit? 2?

And I don't get why Marrone, and his staff don't get credit for Nassib? For some reason if I don't think he would have turned out like he did under GMac's offense, and without Hackett's development.
He didn't recruit Nassib, that's why he doesn't get credit I will guarantee that one of Shafers recruited Qbs will be a decent college Qb. He's had 2 legit classes so far

GoSU96 said:
Those buddies he "screwed" had expiring contracts. That was one of his demands, that those guys that had come over with him were extended. Bills said no.

So was he being told to replace all those guys?

So was he being told to replace all those guys?

Huh? They were on expiring contracts and based on the reported structure he had no control over who was extended and who wasn't, that's the point.

Those buddies he "screwed" had expiring contracts. That was one of his demands, that those guys that had come over with him were extended.

Bills said no.
so he left and bailed on them

GoSU96 said:
Huh? They were on expiring contracts and based on the reported structure he had no control over who was extended and who wasn't, that's the point.

When were they expiring? When do they get extended, year to year?

What's common in the NFL for assistant coaches. We're the Bills doing what everyone else does, or were they going against the grain?

Seriously. As long as our HC is covering up child rape I can care less about their personalities, or likability. If they are getting recruits, and more importantly getting wins, that's all we should carry about.
Really? I would expect more from you. I hope that you are kidding

kcsu said:
Really? I would expect more from you. I hope that you are kidding

Scroll up.

That is complete bs and you should know better. Doug controls which coaches are hired retained or fired. Total BS

He didn't recruit Nassib, that's why he doesn't get credit I will guarantee that one of Shafers recruited Qbs will be a decent college Qb. He's had 2 legit classes so far

I don't know Nassib improved greatly over his career. You sure are giving Nassib a lot of credit. I am sure Hackett, and Marrone's development had nothing to do with it.

That is complete bs and you should know better. Doug controls which coaches are hired retained or fired. Total BS

That's right coaches NEVER get told what to do with their staffs.

Why would I know any different.

From the reporting at the time he had no authority to renew those contracts, that was the issue. One of the issues during the negotiation window is that he wanted the guys that had expiring contracts, those that had been there two years, extended another to by synced up with the staff that had been hired when guys went to the Browns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom