Texas A&M boosters paying $30M NIL | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Texas A&M boosters paying $30M NIL

I cant wait for the first kid who gets 1m from a cooperative to actually sign or go to another school.

What I don’t get is that some schools will benefit while others will get screwed. The ncaa is made up of the schools. Presidents, ADs, past school officials, etc. Why would the ncaa allow schools that make them up get screwed.
Sports matter at some schools more than others.

In the SEC and a handful of other schools in other conferences, they live and die by sports. Sports > Academics

Go to Cal, Washington, Pitt, Boston College, Northwestern...and most schools that aren't sports powerhouses, and sports and athletics are just "part of the college experience". If we win great, if not oh well. And those schools don't care enough to fight over this or go to the mat over this as long as the conference sends them a big fat check each year.

This is also why the P5 conferences and schools, the "Super 60" or whatever they end up calling it are gonna break away from the NCAA and just treat sports like a professional sports league soon.

It's coming. Hear me now, believe me later.

Can there be regulations? If you or I have the freedom to sell our own NIL, it is nobody's right to regulate it. This is no longer an NCAA or conference issue. These athletes now have the right to make money off of themselves. Anybody is allowed to pay them to endorse anything they wish or buy any product they produce that's related to them. As long as it's not pay for play, the only rules they have to follow are income tax rules.
what are the rules about using the schools likenes and logos.. is that all just free to use? its not like a pro can just go wear his uniform in anything he likes can these kids just go do that?

what are the rules about using the schools likenes and logos.. is that all just free to use? its not like a pro can just go wear his uniform in anything he likes can these kids just go do that?
I don't know those rules. I suppose that's up to the athletes and school to negotiate.

What I don’t get is that some schools will benefit while others will get screwed. The ncaa is made up of the schools. Presidents, ADs, past school officials, etc. Why would the ncaa allow schools that make them up get screwed.
The answer is: the threat of secession. That's how a small cadre of powerhouse FB schools in the P5 forced the NCAA to allow them to write their own self-benefitting rules: NCAA board votes to allow Power 5 autonomy

Last edited:
One dude in the locker room will have an Escalade and everyone else will be envious. Should be interesting watch.

Sports matter at some schools more than others.

In the SEC and a handful of other schools in other conferences, they live and die by sports. Sports > Academics

Go to Cal, Washington, Pitt, Boston College, Northwestern...and most schools that aren't sports powerhouses, and sports and athletics are just "part of the college experience". If we win great, if not oh well. And those schools don't care enough to fight over this or go to the mat over this as long as the conference sends them a big fat check each year.

This is also why the P5 conferences and schools, the "Super 60" or whatever they end up calling it are gonna break away from the NCAA and just treat sports like a professional sports league soon.

It's coming. Hear me now, believe me later.
I agree but don't think it will be 60 schools.

I couldn't find a video with the entire clip but on the SMU 30 for 30 there's a segment where Texas A&M bought Eric Dickerson a trans am but he still ended up going to SMU.
In that horrible PSU story someone else posted, the guy says something like, “I was a big deal. The schools recruiting me were offering cars.”
He went to PSU… I infer from that he got a car from PSU. Not definitive obviously. But is a kid going to go to the school that isn’t offering a car?

Agree. I think SU's glory days are behind us based on the current environment. Not sure it's such a bad thing either. Priorities are just different at these sports factories schools.

Current environment?

As in, the last 2 decades?

I would (sadly) agree.

This will come to a head within a year. The conf are going to have to put an end to this or they will kill the golden goose
We can only hope

The state of Florida is going to be requiring HS kids to take a semester course in financial literacy. Finally...all states should do this.

Ofcourse it'll only help those that want to learn

As for your comment...I agree to a point but part of me also thinks if the players want to be independent operators they can figure it on their own. As cruel as it is...sometimes your own mistakes at 20 teach valuable lessons.

Rationally though I'd make a semester course for all the athletes for NIL and money management. Probably wouldn't hurt to have two separate required courses spread over two different semesters
If a kid who comes from nothing makes $1 million off NIL at 18 years old and is broke, injured and out of football at 22, that is beyond cruel.

I cant wait for the first kid who gets 1m from a cooperative to actually sign or go to another school.
Or collect several schools' NIL contracts and then choose between them on the actual school benefits, having already been well paid.

They can't put "go to x school" in the contract, even if it's clearly implied, because that would cause NCAA violations. So no law suits could be won as long as the player honored his contractual obligations. (Which could be hilarious when, say, an Auburn player is getting paid hundreds of thousands to appear at Alabama functions, but I digress.)

Of course, that would reveal the NCAA, once again, to be a joke.

Yep, but there are alternatives way to compensate the athletes without making it free agency, which is what we have now. See my post above with the trust structure.
Why does it have to be a trust. If there is a non athlete influencer making money does it go into a trust? These players are getting money due to their image as a football player. It’s their value.

I would like to believe that SU has a built in NIL advantage with the resources and alumni from Newhouse. Advertising and Marketing should be in our wheelhouse. I get it that we need people to purchase the NIL products but we ought to be able to produce a very slick, professional product for our student athletes. That being said 30 million is mucho cabbage.
I see zero value as a business having a college kid in commercials. The Boeheim billboards are bad. It looks like Jim put the squeeze on the company to give his kids some money.

Last edited:
I see zero value as a business having a college kid in commercials. The Boeheim billboards are a old. It looks like Jim put the squeeze on the company to give his kids some money.
In cities where College Sports are all that matter 365 days a year (ie NOT Syracuse), having a college athlete on a billboard is a huge deal.

And let's be honest, whether it has value or not is secondary. The "advertising" is secondary to, "I'm just paying you to enroll at this school and play."

In that horrible PSU story someone else posted, the guy says something like, “I was a big deal. The schools recruiting me were offering cars.”
He went to PSU… I infer from that he got a car from PSU. Not definitive obviously. But is a kid going to go to the school that isn’t offering a car?
Cars for play. Everyone did it back in the day, including SU. Several of SU’s big time players in the 80’s and 90’s were sporting brand new cars.

In cities where College Sports are all that matter 365 days a year (ie NOT Syracuse), having a college athlete on a billboard is a huge deal.

And let's be honest, whether it has value or not is secondary. The "advertising" is secondary to, "I'm just paying you to enroll at this school and play."
Yes. All this does is let's the well-heeled jock sniffers come in to the light.

I see zero value as a business having a college kid in commercials. The Boeheim billboards are bad. It looks like Jim put the squeeze on the company to give his kids some money.
You don't live in the south. College football players are worshiped and are of similar value to businesses locally/regionally as pro athletes are nationally. You can't understand the religion that is college football down here without experiencing it. And I don't just mean going to a game. I'm talking about how it permeates everything.

The state of Florida is going to be requiring HS kids to take a semester course in financial literacy. Finally...all states should do this.

Ofcourse it'll only help those that want to learn

As for your comment...I agree to a point but part of me also thinks if the players want to be independent operators they can figure it on their own. As cruel as it is...sometimes your own mistakes at 20 teach valuable lessons.

Rationally though I'd make a semester course for all the athletes for NIL and money management. Probably wouldn't hurt to have two separate required courses spread over two different semesters

You could call it...Economics. Heck, kids could even major in it!

You could call it...Economics. Heck, kids could even major in it!
Most kids sadly don't have the math background. I'm thinking a course(s) that appeals to the middle 80% on the Bell Curve is more appropriate.

The good news is that there is still strong interest among most legitimate D-1 institutions - and their fans - for genuine amateur athletic competition. The solution for this silent majority is to let 'Bama, Georgia, Texas A&M and the like (Ky in bb) form their own semi-pro "division". Then they can continue doing what they do - a wink to education, a mafia-like governance structure, and ever-increasing amounts of payola funneled to their 5-stars.

Is there?

I know that I've grown too cynical, but I don't agree with that even a little bit.

OttoMets wants genuine amateur athletic competition. But the Fordhams of the world are sitting around dreaming up ways to gain a competitive advantage through financial incentives. It's been that way for decades, but it's gone up exponentially in the last 18 months.

Most kids sadly don't have the math background. I'm thinking a course(s) that appeals to the middle 80% on the Bell Curve is more appropriate.

I know, I jest, I jest.

Which is sad, when you think about it. Kids getting to college and unable to do college coursework.

But I'm not gonna play thread hijacker today...

If a kid who comes from nothing makes $1 million off NIL at 18 years old and is broke, injured and out of football at 22, that is beyond cruel.
Cruel? If he made $1M over a 4 year career that’s a pretty good hand. If they choose not to save their earnings that’s on them.

But that goes against the reasoning behind NIL. The idea is that the athletes own their name, image, and likeness and, as adults, should not be restricted from benefiting financially from them. It was obvious that schools and boosters would take full advantage of the new environment to lure athletes.

That said, I agree that these guys suddenly making huge sums of money would probably be detrimental to many of them and that this is a slippery slope big time college athletics as placed itself on.
Wasn’t the idea behind name, image and likeness complaints pertain to Jersey, tshirt, merchandise, radio tv commercials, video games etc where their name and image were being used without compensation? How did it turn into a public yet secretive accumulation of slush funds comprised of millions of $ to be dispensed at the discretion of the slush fund creators to even lure recruits who have never even played in a game? This isn’t even attached to merchandise etc using their name, image nor likeness - it’s all become irrelevant now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom