Thamel gives some names | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

I don’t want him. If u can’t win in Miami with 4*and 5* guys, how u gonna win here. Just my opinion.
He was operating under sanctions

He is definitely a safe choice and checks a lot of boxes. He obviously has connections recruiting the NE and Florida, P5 HC experience and made Temple good. And say what you want about Brian Kelly as a person, but he is a very good coach to learn under.
Al Mullen Ches White im happy with any of them. They are all a huge upgrade.

I don’t want him. If u can’t win in Miami with 4*and 5* guys, how u gonna win here. Just my opinion.
Well he did win at Miami he just didn’t win enough. And this concept of Miami having all these 4 and 5 stars - this hasn’t been 90’s Miami for a long time.

That being said, my biggest reservation about Golden is signature wins. You look at his resume and he really doesn’t have any - anywhere. And on top of that, he easily could have had 2 10+ win seasons, 1 at Miami and 1 at Temple but both were littered with W T F losses.

He’s a safety candidate. We could do a hell of a lot worse but we can do better as well.

He was operating under sanctions
Including bowl bans, and scholarship reductions, on top of Miami declaring players ineligible that were involved with Shapiro when Golden took over. Boosters used to hire planes to fly over the stadium during games with banners asking to Fire Golden. He took some epic losses during his tenure at Miami. But the thinking that Golden couldn't win with "4 and 5* star talent" needs some context.

Golden's name was not pulled out of thin air by the media. There is a reason his name is on the list.

For me it’s Mullen 1A and Cheaney 1B. None of the other candidates really catch my eye.
This is how I feel exactly, not that I don’t think there’s other good candidates that I’d be ok with, but for me there’s a big gap between Mullen/Chesney and the rest of the field.

Well he did win at Miami he just didn’t win enough. And this concept of Miami having all these 4 and 5 stars - this hasn’t been 90’s Miami for a long time.

That being said, my biggest reservation about Golden is signature wins. You look at his resume and he really doesn’t have any - anywhere. And on top of that, he easily could have had 2 10+ win seasons, 1 at Miami and 1 at Temple but both were littered with W T F losses.

He’s a safety candidate. We could do a hell of a lot worse but we can do better as well.

Yeah, I'd be fine with Golden because in the very least it would show SU is trying to find high quality candidates. It can be argued there's better coaches out there at comparable prices but hiring Golden isn't going cheap or hiring a lifetime DB coach.

This is how I feel exactly, not that I don’t think there’s other good candidates that I’d be ok with, but for me there’s a big gap between Mullen/Chesney and the rest of the field.

I don't know, what makes Mullen significantly better than a Golden or even Candle? Golden can recruit, Mullen may not love it. They both should have good connections for hiring staff. Mullen is probably the better game day coach which I think is really important. But both have potentials for decent success or to be failures to what the expectations will be.

I don't know, what makes Mullen significantly better than a Golden or even Candle? Golden can recruit, Mullen may not love it. They both should have good connections for hiring staff. Mullen is probably the better game day coach which I think is really important. But both have potentials for decent success or to be failures to what the expectations will be.
After 8 years of Dino Ball we may all be placing a premium on gameday coaching. :)

My best SDSU contact got back to me with some interesting info.

Tony White has interviewed with San Diego State.

He also heard that Syracuse has interviewed Bronco Mendanhall.
curiosity GIF

I like Golden too, he’s probably 3rd or 4th on my list after the jump from Mullen/Chesney. But for me the idea of a coach that’s had success at the highest level of college football is really appealing. I wouldn’t be upset at Al Golden and he did obviously have some success at Temple before struggling at Miami (Every coach seems to struggle at Miami since their prime years), but in my opinion Dan Mullen is just a better candidate.

My best SDSU contact got back to me with some interesting info.

Tony White has interviewed with San Diego State.

He also heard that Syracuse has interviewed Bronco Mendanhall.
Wow. About the Bronco part of course. Tony is a perfect hire for the Aztecs and I hope it happens

It’s not surprising. Their athletic department I believe is the second most in debt of any in the country.
My daughter always slams the admin at SDSU for the university being so poorly run, so I guess that doesn’t surprise me. I can only imagine how mad they were when the PAC 12 imploded and they lost their golden ticket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom