Thamel: Syracuse forward Jerami Grant plans to announce he's declaring for the NBA Draft today. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel: Syracuse forward Jerami Grant plans to announce he's declaring for the NBA Draft today.

we've done this math a thousand times here. he's a multi millionaire with more life experiences than any of us minus cto could ever hope to achieve. if he's happy, i'd say it's working out fan-fn-tastically for him.

He is playing in China, how happy can he possibly be? That money isn't going to last forever unless you invested it really well.

hindsight is 20/20. no one thought we were going to be a top 10 team in 03 or 10. nobody.

you are lying if you claim otherwise. Hell we weren't even ranked until FEBRUARY in 2003! And we were never in the top 10!
I seem to remember people talking about an NC as soon as they heard from practice reports that GMac, Edelin, and Melo were as good as advertised and seemed to have good chemistry.

And I remember people being pretty pi$$ed off about our ranking early in the year (of course, what else is new?).

He is playing in China, how happy can he possibly be? That money isn't going to last forever unless you invested it really well.
HA. If I'm making 700K in investment banking as an expat in China, would you ever possibly use that same logic? I'd rather live in China than Oklahoma City or Milwaukee! Completely ridiculous rationale...and it doesn't even make the case that he would be in any different/better position if he came back. Maybe he'd be slumming in Sydney or Athens. Oh the horror.

HA. If I'm making 700K in investment banking as an expat in China, would you ever possibly use that same logic? I'd rather live in China than Oklahoma City or Milwaukee! Completely ridiculous rationale...and it doesn't even make the case that he would be in any different/better position if he came back. Maybe he'd be slumming in Sydney or Athens. Oh the horror.

I highly doubt any American kid grows up dreaming of living in China, Donte left Su because he thought he was ready to play in the Nba, not international basketball, and he was wrong.

This argument is so old. Just stop.

You act like he's working at a fast food place and living under a freaking bridge.

We went through this...he is making a modest 6 figure salary that will finish most likely by the time he's 30.

I need a better argument for leaving than get a quick check before you get exposed. If he stayed, did the right things and developed his game and was showcased like he would've been things could be far different for Donte. Longer career with exponentially more money and something along the lines of generational wealth.

Then again maybe he doesn't get a lick better, but the quick dollar argument to me is a bad one.

True. It's a vicious cycle. You use lottery picks to help recruit future lottery picks. You just hope those players, who are the most talented, can lead you to the promise land, with the help of the 4 year guys who should have developed over their stay. Didn't work this year. Worked last year (F4). Worked in 2003.

This has become our style.

The problem is these were supposed to be the 3-4 year guys! Grant wasn't even that big of a recruit. Prior to and even early this season, many thought Ennis would be a 3-4 year guy.

I honestly thought Grant would play little better than he did this year. He was good, but I thought had a slightly disappointing season...and he's still gone!

A 1996 run almost can't even happen anymore...because John Wallace would've been gone as soon as he put up 11 and 7 as a freshman in 1993.

I highly doubt any American kid grows up dreaming of living in China, Donte left Su because he thought he was ready to play in the Nba, not international basketball, and he was wrong.

And what if he is/was never ready/good enough to play in the NBA? I could stay in college for 15 years, am I ready to play in the league after that time?

Sometimes, it just doesn't work out.

He played in the NBA for years...

I seem to remember people talking about an NC as soon as they heard from practice reports that GMac, Edelin, and Melo were as good as advertised and seemed to have good chemistry.
My buddy went to an exhibition game or midnight madness. I remember him raving about Carmelo and saying he was the best player on the floor by far. Thought Syracuse would have a real good team.

The Wes Johnson team: Boeheim told anyone who would listen that Wes Johnson was a tremendous player. and when Harris left early I figured it was because JAB told him he wouldn't have a starting job the next season. I figured they would be good.

I don't get that feeling about next season, though. I could be wrong, but they're not returning much and it's tough to get lightening to strike twice for frosh PGs.

Don't worry, the NBA playoffs start soon.

I used to be one of the "college basketball is SOOOO much better than the NBA OMG the NBA sucks so much no defense no passion blah blah". Once I educated myself about it, it's not even close to all that nonsense. The NBA playoffs are going to be awesome this year. Tune in for the western conference. It's going to be fun.

I like both college and the NBA, but this is exactly why college ball is frustrating to watch. The best talent doesn't stay. And of course I don't blame them, but as a fan, you always wish to have the most talent on the team you love.

Not a fan of the best of 7 for every round of playoff, that's where the NBA moneygrab aspect hurts for me.

D-League is the new College...maybe it is time the Syracuse community purchased a franchise and we wont have to worry about them going pro

I really am hoping he announces that he decided to stay. But that probably won't happen. Too bad Grant didn't stay longer, he may have really dominated in the ACC next year.

I'm not lying, and if you were on the boards back then there were a lot of fans who thought we'd be very good in 2003 and 2010. Many of us don't need the media to tell us when the team we actually follow closer than they do, will be good.

That February 2003 ranking thing was ridiculous. We were underrated and overlooked almost all season in 2003. Just because the polls slept doesn't mean Syracuse fans did. It was obvious very early on what we had that year. And it was obvious just watching Melo in the McDonald's game that he was on another level. With Melo, and Warrick's emergence late in his freshman year, the long awaited debut of Edelin, etc. I was as excited going into that season as I'd ever been.

Any Cuse fans who paid attention were not surprised at all that Wes Johnson played that well either. He was an already established good college player, 22 years old, and got rave reviews all year from anyone Syracuse affiliated in 2009.

i was on the boards in 2003 and 2010. you are very very very over exaggerating what the fans thought the april before the season started to try to prove your point.

If this discussion were somebody saying boeheim sucks as a coach - you would use 03 and 2010 as examples of how he pulled teams out of nowhere to the best in the country.

and please, for the love of god, never use the mcdonalds all american game as an example of you KNEW Melo would be the best player in the country that following year.

he also shattered his ankle. it had little to do with him coming out early.

Not a fan of the best of 7 for every round of playoff, that's where the NBA moneygrab aspect hurts for me.

I think the first few rounds should be 5.

This years team just killed me with there slow methodical play . It aged me 10 years , now I can retire . I feel this years team will be high flying , rockin , jammin team ! JB , let go the horses !

He's not Carmelo Anthony, we'll be fine. I'm sure someone else can put up 12 and 6. Next man up. Hope the best for Jerami in the NBA.

i was on the boards in 2003 and 2010. you are very very very over exaggerating what the fans thought the april before the season started to try to prove your point.

If this discussion were somebody saying boeheim sucks as a coach - you would use 03 and 2010 as examples of how he pulled teams out of nowhere to the best in the country.

and please, for the love of god, never use the mcdonalds all american game as an example of you KNEW Melo would be the best player in the country that following year.

Speak for yourself. I have no reason to exaggerate to prove a point to try to impress some clown on the internet.

I was very excited going into 2003 and 2010, as were many others. Don't tell me what I would use in a Boeheim sucks argument, either. You post like a guy who has been in a few too many internet arguments. You don't know me!

And I rarely even watch the McDonald's game or any other high school all star games, but again...Melo was an obvious one. The skill level was very apparent. It doesn't always take an intense game to notice an exceptional skill level.

Don't tell me what to post. I'm sorry you need other people to tell you when your favorite team will be good.

Speak for yourself. I have no reason to exaggerate to prove a point to try to impress some clown on the internet.

I was very excited going into 2003 and 2010, as were many others. Don't tell me what I would use in a Boeheim sucks argument, either. You post like a guy who has been in a few too many internet arguments. You don't know me!

And I rarely even watch the McDonald's game or any other high school all star games, but again...Melo was an obvious one. The skill level was very apparent. It doesn't always take an intense game to notice an exceptional skill level.

Don't tell me what to post. I'm sorry you need other people to tell you when your favorite team will be good.

haha OK.