Thamel: Syracuse forward Jerami Grant plans to announce he's declaring for the NBA Draft today. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel: Syracuse forward Jerami Grant plans to announce he's declaring for the NBA Draft today.

Exactly. He could take some of that money and go back and get a degree. He could look for a job in coaching. Lots of things. I'd love to have been 26 and made that much money already with plenty of opportunities to make more in my lifetime outside of basketball. Heck, lots of kids today are leaving college and can't find jobs. I do think Donte should have come back for one more year and I bet you he would say the same. But for 99.9% of the population, what he has made since graduation would be like hitting the lottery.

You can't compare the normal kid to bball talent like Donte, you have to compare them to his peers who put their name in the draft.

Not me (yes I was in his freshman class).
And you're incredibly talented! Imagine the goofballs that graduated with sociology degrees*.

*I am a goofball with a sociology degree.

You can't compare the normal kid to bball talent like Donte, you have to compare them to his peers who put their name in the draft.
That's INCREDIBLY unfair to Donte.

That's pretty shabby. Lets say he wants a mortgage, family, etc...that's not a lot of money for a guy who handled himself as a professional athlete.

It's not that bad. It's roughly the equivalent of making a little under $80k per year (after taxes).

If he were smart he would park it into some dividend stocks and live off the dividend payments. A 2 million dollar investment, with a minute 2% dividend yield would net him $30K per year, the first year, $40k the 10th year, $50k the 20th year, and 70k the 30th year.

5 % yield would be 50k first year, 77K year 10, 125K year 20, yadayadayada

Last edited:
Sure, because 35-40 is really when professional athletes that stayed for 4 years in school capitalize financially.

You're comparing his earnings to his classmates. In Donte's case there is a chance he made his life's earnings at all at once.

You're comparing his earnings to his classmates. In Donte's case there is a chance he made his life's earnings at all at once.
why do you assume he's unemployable post-basketball? he got a multi-million dollar head start on life...and if he's a good guy (which he is by all reports), he'll have connections that keep him working as long as he wants/needs to.

Good for Jerami. Having two 1st round picks this year won't hurt when Autry and Hop are out recruiting. Not saying you have to like it, but having lottery picks every year helps recruiting more than getting to an Elite 8.
I would rather have elite 8's and better every year rather than great recruiting leaving early for the NBA.

I have trouble finding the line between routing for the kid to succeed over the success of the program. The decisions of these two kids directly effects the success of the program next year and that is all I am concerned about. Like most have said can't blame the kids for going for the money but that also doesn't mean as a fan I have to be happy about it. Very disappointed in both kids decisions.

But like most have said next man up.

If he stayed at Syracuse for 2-3 years, he'd be 26 and have like 1 mill in the bank. So yeah, he made the right decision.

Not sure why you guys can't see that.

Sometimes that 1 million dollars with a 4 year college degree will be more valuable than the 5 million dollars you are talking about.

If he stayed at Syracuse for 2-3 years, he'd be 26 and have like 1 mill in the bank. So yeah, he made the right decision.

Not sure why you guys can't see that.

How do you know that he wouldn't have improved, earned a lot more and still be in the league?

Sometimes that 1 million dollars with a 4 year college degree will be more valuable than the 5 million dollars you are talking about.

A college degree in general studies? What do you think Donte Green was going to major in that would make him 5 million dollars?

Can the board drop the naive act here about the majority of these athlete's degrees. Especially with the latest APR requirements.Watch the latest Real Sports.

How do you know that he wouldn't have improved, earned a lot more and still be in the league?

Because I watched him in the NBA for 3 years get many opportunities and I've seen numerous players who went "early" get better and better in the NBA despite not starting out great. I don't believe 1-2 years at Syracuse would've have helped him that much. Maybe help his handle, but he was what he was.

A college degree in general studies? What do you think Donte Green was going to major in that would make him 5 million dollars?

Can the board drop the naive act here about the majority of these athlete's degrees. Especially with the latest APR requirements.Watch the latest Real Sports.

Maybe he takes some Finance classes and learns how to invest his 1 million and it makes more than his original 5 million. You never know one way or another. It is a pointless argument.

Maybe he takes some Finance classes and learns how to invest his 1 million and it makes more than his original 5 million. You never know one way or another. It is a pointless argument.
because you never know one way or the other, you TAKE THE $5MM BIRD IN THE HAND!

Those quotes are pathetic. Guess I expected more considering.

Tell your coach instead of discuss, chance to live his dream...trite stuff.

Not everyone gets to ride the coattails of Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

That was his Uncle Horace, who played for the Bulls. Though he was a very solid player on his own, regardless of who his teammates were.