Thamel: Syracuse forward Jerami Grant plans to announce he's declaring for the NBA Draft today. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel: Syracuse forward Jerami Grant plans to announce he's declaring for the NBA Draft today.

Or, he doesn't develop or he gets hurt and doesn't get drafted at all.

Boeheim develops his forwards. Look at the kids who he has had over the years and how far their games have progressed.

Using this site as a guide...

Taxes for income over $400,000 is 39.6%.

5,000,000 x .604 (take home pay) = $3,020,000

Conservatively, let's say he's spent $500,000 of it already. 3,020,000 - 500,000 = $2,520,000

No let's say he lives to be 80. 80-26 (current age) = 54.

$2,520,000/54 = he can spend $46,666 per year for the rest of his life.

That's not too shabby.

I have a hard time believing any of the assumptions you made in this post. This seems like pie in the sky math with very little basis in reality.

hindsight is 20/20. no one thought we were going to be a top 10 team in 03 or 10. nobody.

you are lying if you claim otherwise. Hell we weren't even ranked until FEBRUARY in 2003! And we were never in the top 10!
I didn't necessarily top 10, but I felt good about both of those teams. I saw the exhibition against Nike Elite in '03 and told anyone that would listen that this would be a fun team to watch. Prior to the NCAA tournament a friend that doesn't follow the team to closely asked me how good I thought they were. I said if they're on top of their game, they'll beat anyone. '10 I had higher expectations for because I knew AO was legit in the post, Rautins was a deadly shooter and the smartest player we had seen in a long time, and I bought into the Wesley Johnson hype. I thought it was a top 10 team without Flynn and top 5 with him.

Hak stayed 4 years, got a lot more developed as a player (as a person maybe, seems like a nice guy) and carved out 10 years in the NBA. If he ran out the door with Melo in 2003 does that happen, or is his lasting memory a fleeting guy who teabagged Royal Ivy?

well, who can ever know?

it's well known that I think a kid should go ASAP, but my point in this thread was to show that you can have a lot of success and make a solid living for a long time playing professionally outside the NBA

well, who can ever know?

it's well known that I think a kid should go ASAP, but my point in this thread was to show that you can have a lot of success and make a solid living for a long time playing professionally outside the NBA

It can go either way, but unless you are a lock to go in the top ten, you really should come back.

I have a hard time believing any of the assumptions you made in this post. This seems like pie in the sky math with very little basis in reality.

The only thing that would vary would be how much he has already spent. Everything else is just...math :noidea:

This was meant to be a rough estimation. I did not include investments, etc.

2 out 2 in carry on. Good luck wish you the best

The only thing that would vary would be how much he has already spent. Everything else is just...math :noidea:

This was meant to be a rough estimation. I did not include investments, etc.

Exactly these athletes have very different spending habits than the average person does.

It can go either way, but unless you are a lock to go in the top ten, you really should come back.
I could not possibly disagree more . . . the college game is just unpaid servitude. There are myriad ways to develop your game that don't involve the NCAA play & practice restrictions. If you have the ability to get paid at any level, you should Adios and develop yourself.

I could not possibly disagree more . . . the college game is just unpaid servitude. There are myriad ways to develop your game that don't involve the NCAA play & practice restrictions. If you have the ability to get paid at any level, you should Adios and develop yourself.

It is a lot harder developing in the nba, they don't practice nearly as much, and coaches don't have time to worry about your development. If you can't contribute you sit, and possibly go to the d league.

It is a lot harder developing in the nba, they don't practice nearly as much, and coaches don't have time to worry about your development. If you can't contribute you sit, and possibly go to the d league.

you are flat out wrong. it is your full time job and there is all sorts of assistance - both with the team and privately - to help you develop. If you have the talent and are motivated to get better, you will - a lot better and a lot faster than in college.

if you don't have the talent and the motivation, then you aren't going to make it anyway. Kobe says he can tell in the first week of practice which rookies have a chance, and it is always the ones who are doing extra work outside of team organized events.

I agree with both of you... You can practice until the cows come home, but it's real game experience that acts as a catalyst for improvement in all sports, imo... Actually, not just sports, but in life as well...

Last edited:
If you struggle in college, and are good enough, you are going to get a chance to play through it. That isn't the case in the nba.

You know who played a lot in the D-League last year- Jeremy Lamb. He's averaging 20mpg and 8 ppg from OKC. The D-League is becoming a better developmental spot for the good NBA teams. It won't kill Grant's career if he plays more there next year.

He already has an elite NBA skill so it's not like he's starting at zero.

We're in that awkward cycle we don't get elite one-and-done's who can carry a team (like UK); but we don't get many "significantly above average" 4 year players either (I know, CJ).

We get guys who show enough flash to be considered lotto or 1st round picks; they bolt; but were never great college players.

Hak stayed 4 years, got a lot more developed as a player (as a person maybe, seems like a nice guy) and carved out 10 years in the NBA. If he ran out the door with Melo in 2003 does that happen, or is his lasting memory a fleeting guy who teabagged Royal Ivy?

Honestly, I would bet that Warrick would have had higher total career NBA earnings if he had come out after his sophomore year. But for my own selfish reasons I'm glad he stayed, because he was one of my all-time favorites.

that's just flat out wrong. when you are in the NBA it's your job. you aren't limited to practice minutes, school work, etc, all you can think about is basketball. you can hire a personal trainer, a personal coach, a nutritionist, and whatever else you want to improve your game. there are so many young guys that come in early to work out with coaches, or even their own personal trainers before game days, and practice. your point has no merit what so ever

I picked the Hawks since they aren't considered an elite NBA franchise and here's their staff listing from their website. So again how is returning to school better for development? What NBA team doesn't care about the development of a 1st round pick?

Also shout-out to former Cuse trainer Wally Blase.

HEAD COACH
Mike Budenholzer (College - Pomona)
ASSISTANT COACHES
Kenny Atkinson (College - Richmond)
Darvin Ham (College - Texas Tech)
Taylor Jenkins (College - Pennsylvania)
Quin Snyder (College - Duke)
Jim Thomas (College - Indiana)
ASSISTANT COACH FOR PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
Pete Radulovic (College - Loyola Marymount)
STRENGTH-AND-CONDITIONING COACH
Jeff Watkinson (College - North Carolina State)
ATHLETIC TRAINER
Wally Blase (College - Winona State)

Briancuse said:
He is playing in China, how happy can he possibly be? That money isn't going to last forever unless you invested it really well.
The Chinese season is very short

Bayside44 said:
We went through this...he is making a modest 6 figure salary that will finish most likely by the time he's 30. I need a better argument for leaving than get a quick check before you get exposed. If he stayed, did the right things and developed his game and was showcased like he would've been things could be far different for Donte. Longer career with exponentially more money and something along the lines of generational wealth. Then again maybe he doesn't get a lick better, but the quick dollar argument to me is a bad one.
You ignore the five mil he made in the NBA

To me it seems pretty simple. Pretty much any kid who plays college basketball dreams of or has their sights set on playing in the NBA. Essentially they are FORCED into playing one year of NCAA basketball (isn't that a great way for the NCAA to initiate a relationship with a kid). They are supposedly then provided with a free college education, room and board and some national exposure through playing on their college team (most kids who aspire to play in the NBA could care less about getting a free college education... most of them view class time as a distraction from basketball and more than half are not what you would consider "students" who are in pursuit of higher learning)

They want to showcase themselves so as to draw attention of NBA scouts with the purpose of landing in the NBA and are oftentimes asked to play roles on their team that are antithetical to them attempting to showboat their "wares". They also have to notice the incredible amount of revenue which is generated by NCAA basketball yet they are not even entitled to make so much as one penny off any likeness of themselves and are strictly forbidden to enjoy any financial gain which is resultant from their talent and notoriety as an athlete.

Why would anyone expect them to do anything other than jumping at the opportunity to get a chance to be drafted by a team in the NBA? Although they may not be scholars you don't have to have a genius IQ to know that the best time to capitalize on the opportunity to become a millionaire is "RIGHT NOW" regardless if there are some detractors who may say you aren't ready enough, or strong enough, or experienced enough, or a good enough shooter, rebounder...etc etc etc. If there are teams that are willing to offer you money based on your potential... WHY WOULD YOU TAKE ANY CHANCE for that opportunity to pass, or be diminished in any way? You would have to be stupid or nuts. If you have the chance to improve in some area... why not get paid while doing it?

Let's be honest. ANYONE (with very few exceptions) who makes a case of some kid who is likely to be a lottery pick to return to school for any reason whatsoever... is harboring some self serving rationale for having that point of view. They want their team to be better next year. PERIOD. Very simple.

Look, I love Syracuse basketball as much as anyone and I want to contend for a National Title every year. Both Ennis and Grant declaring for the NBA is a great opportunity for THEM and I wish them the best in their pursuit of their lifelong dream and ambition. But, truth be known, it sucks for Syracuse Basketball and I'm pissed! I want them to have great NBA careers... but not as much as I want them to pimp themselves out for CUSE basketball for at least another year so I can say that my team is better than your team on other message boards, at work, during donut hour after church and on ESPN comment sections during college basketball season and especially with UConn fans who I grew up with in Connecticut. ( I need something remotely redemptive after this years tourney.)

I don't watch NBA basketball save for a few games well into the playoffs. It's not the same as the sense of loyalty and affiliation you have with your college basketball team. But I may have to reconsider my stand on it since the college game has become so screwed up both with the brevity of talented players stay on their college roster and the nature of the game itself with no scoring and absurd officiating.

But in the end... Screw the NBA for ruining college basketball by catching every freakin fish in the fishing hole and not having any catch and release program either. Then when we go fishing... there's no big fish in the pond and fishing pretty much sucks. Most of the kids they lure out of college never see any significant time in the league anyhow. That is the most maddening part about it. So all this talk about what is best for the player in terms of maximizing the length of their NBA career or how much money they could make is all pretty much BS in my opinion. People here want the Cuse to be great and crush DUKE and North Carolina next year and anyone else we play for that matter. And Ennis and Grant checking out of the Carrier Dome / Melo Center is going to make that pretty iffy at best. But I'm not going to lie about my motives. I want them to stay cuz I want the best Cuse team possible. Nothing more than that.

If you assume greene has no income outside of basketball and can't get a degree when he's washed up, how can you justify wanting him to stay? You're assuming he can't graduate and has no other ability to earn a penny but yet you still think he should risk getting hurt and never earning a penny?

Not thinking through your own argument

Honestly, I would bet that Warrick would have had higher total career NBA earnings if he had come out after his sophomore year. But for my own selfish reasons I'm glad he stayed, because he was one of my all-time favorites.

It's a bet worth taking...he left SU with a complete game and a degree and played a nice NBA career. The end of his soph year he was weak side dunks with Anthony getting all the attention.