Thamel: Syracuse forward Jerami Grant plans to announce he's declaring for the NBA Draft today. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel: Syracuse forward Jerami Grant plans to announce he's declaring for the NBA Draft today.

Who is to say jerami's scoring numbers would be any better as a senior then they were as a sophmore? He hasn't showcased much of a isolation game to prove otherwise.

I don't blame him. IMO, his potential is high right now, with another year or two it could really fall.

Last edited:
it's always the safest decision...and if i can be safe AND a multi-millionaire, that makes it the best decision

As presumptuous as it is for some of us to say that some kid made the wrong decision, it's equally presumptuous for others to say taking the money is the right move.

If you could be safe and a millionaire, maybe that's best for you. You know that better than I do. None of us knows what's best for Grant, Ennis, Donte, or Jabari Parker. (Though I don't hear of too many people in their teens and twenties who pick up a few million dollars and treat it or themselves with care.)

It's unfortunate that so many of these kids have poor guidance networks in their lives; if what has said about the Grants in recent weeks is true, that's even a little more disappointing - hopefully the kids with two-parent families of some means should enjoy some advantages that their peers don't.

That the impulsive dash for a quick paycheck seems to govern so many of these decisions strikes me as very sad. What's that line about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing?

What sucks (for us fans) is this: Our team crashed and burned in the tourney and on top of that our 2 best would-be returning players are no longer returning. The double (triple?) whammy of end-of-season suckitude. I'd personally be fine with one or the other - if the team had shat the bed with Grant/Ennis returning, or a deep run with Grant/Ennis leaving. But to get neither is, well, maddening.
Oh, and the NBA

From the SI article: <<Grant’s body, bloodlines and athleticism make him a high-end prospect, but his game still needs polishing. Two NBA executives told SI.com earlier in the year that Grant would likely spend time in the development league before becoming a regular in an NBA rotation.>>

For the 2012-2013 season, 31 D league guys were called up 36 times. That's for the entire league. The overwhelming majority of the call-ups were for 10 days, in out done. Basically, once a D-leaguer, always a D-leaguer.

Using this site as a guide...

Taxes for income over $400,000 is 39.6%.

5,000,000 x .604 (take home pay) = $3,020,000

Conservatively, let's say he's spent $500,000 of it already. 3,020,000 - 500,000 = $2,520,000

No let's say he lives to be 80. 80-26 (current age) = 54.

$2,520,000/54 = he can spend $46,666 per year for the rest of his life.

That's not too shabby.

He could live off of $100,000 per year and the money would never run out.

I enjoy watching Jerami play, but he has zero chance of getting on the floor next year in the NBA. He has no offensive skill set that translates to the NBA. He is physically weak, which transcends the problem even more. He has D League written all over him. He is going to have a hard time playing enough to give an NBA team confidence offering him a second contract. Whoever is advising him on this decision is not looking out for his best interests, but maybe their own.
Maybe it is Jerami's decision.

im fairly certain donte's parents both died before he came to cuse and he was caring for his younger siblings.

Do nothing? Except guarantee them more money than a lot of people earn in a lifetime and a spot working in the most elite league in the world. yeah, i feel terrible for them that they won't have the privilege of entertaining us for free.
You hit it on the head. With all the revenue, the attitude of the best players is that they are being exploited. they want out as soon as possible, with few exceptions.

I love how the people making the arguement that Donte made a horrible decision are completely discounting the fact that he can use his contacts made from being in the NBA to get a, you know, job after he is done playing

“We have no idea,” Harvey Grant said about where Jeremy will be picked in the draft. “You know how this goes.”

Wouldn't you want to have some idea for such a big move? But the sad thing is he's right...no one really knows until the draft starts unfolding.

djcon57 said:
A college degree in general studies? What do you think Donte Green was going to major in that would make him 5 million dollars? Can the board drop the naive act here about the majority of these athlete's degrees. Especially with the latest APR requirements.Watch the latest Real Sports.
What percentage of pro bball players go broke? Why do you think it is?

CusefanATL said:
He could live off of $100,000 per year and the money would never run out.
There's no way those figures are accurate. For one there are a lot of other taxes and there's zero chance he's only spent 500k in 6 years.

EDIT: and you need a lot more than 100k in 30 years if you want that equivalent then... Most Americans just don't understand proper planning (not saying you)..,most are woefully under saved.

Last edited:
“We have no idea,” Harvey Grant said about where Jeremy will be picked in the draft. “You know how this goes.”

Wouldn't you want to have some idea for such a big move? But the sad thing is he's right...no one really knows until the draft starts unfolding.

I don't think they really thought it through.

Probably none, but that isn't the point. It is about how much he could have made, and what type of player he could have become.

so your saying if he stayed 3 more years at Syracuse he would be 2x the player he is now? says who? why can't he get better when he is getting paid to play, and all he has to focus on is basketball instead of school work. your argument makes absolutely no sense, and never has.

so your saying if he stayed 3 more years at Syracuse he would be 2x the player he is now? says who? why can't he get better when he is getting paid to play, and all he has to focus on is basketball instead of school work. your argument makes absolutely no sense, and never has.

Who says anything about three years, if he stays one year improves his game, he could have been a lottery pick.

im fairly certain donte's parents both died before he came to cuse and he was caring for his younger siblings.

how dare he leave. he needs to stay at syracuse so we can win games while he gets paid absolutely nothing.

it's absolutely amazing how some people judge these kids decisions with absolutely no knowledge of the backstory just because they are worried about our team next year.

Who says anything about three years, if he stays one year improves his game, he could have been a lottery pick.

he's going to improve that much in 1 year? says who. what if he blows out his knee in before the season starts.

he's going to improve that much in 1 year? says who. what if he blows out his knee in before the season starts.

Have you ever heard of the sophomore jump before. Guys are blowing out their knees and coming back even better these days, blowing out your knee isn't a career ending injury anymore?

Have you ever heard of the sophomore jump before. Guys are blowing out their knees and coming back even better these days, blowing out your knee isn't a career ending injury anymore?

yes, but then he is stuck in school for another 2 years, and is out of $2million dollars.