That was the worst broadcast team to do a Syracuse FB game, right? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

That was the worst broadcast team to do a Syracuse FB game, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could’ve called the game at her level with no journalism education. My name is also Megan. I would have filled any knowledge gaps with praise for the Orange and digs at Uconn. At least it would’ve been more entertaining.
I absolutely agree … she has no business in a football booth. At least she never used the words rebound, double dribble, shot clock or over and back. What a train wreck …

Last edited:
I could’ve called the game at her level with no journalism education. My name is also Megan. I would have filled any knowledge gaps with praise for the Orange and digs at Uconn. At least it would’ve been more entertaining.
What is your rate?

Again, this is wrong. Every profession has idiots and bad apples. Journalism is not immune. The difference is the mistakes and misrepresentations that some poor journalists make are now available to a much wider audience thanks to social media.

As social media has increased our awareness of the number of crazies out there, it has also shone a light on bad journalists and bad journalism. That kid who posted that quote was in about his third month at that job straight out of college. It was a really dumb move and he hasn't learned anything from it either, as he doubled down on it last week. If I were his boss I'd put a gag order on his social media use until he proves his worth as a journalist.

In the eyes of the world, one bad apple spoils the bunch. I get that. But the journalists covering your community and covering the world at large are passionate (more often than not) about two things: getting their stories right beyond the shadow of a doubt, and their ethical obligations as a journalist.

Yep, the climate has changed and a bigger spotlight is being put on bad journalism (as it should), but that does not mean that the vast majority of journalists are also bad.
You mean like all those journalist that convicted the entire BYU fan base of being racist before they even investigated.

You mean like all those journalist that convicted the entire BYU fan base of being racist before they even investigated.
Or Duke Lacrosse or … so many other pathetic media incidents. I can’t even apply the Reagan rule to the crap they peddle … now with that being said there are some good journalists but the overall quality of the profession is in a steep decline …

Or Duke Lacrosse or … so many other pathetic media incidents. I can’t even apply the Reagan rule to the crap they peddle … now with that being said there are some good journalists but the overall quality of the profession is in a steep decline …
I am not ready to say the overall quality of the profession is in steep decline, rather, the overall quantity of the pseudo-suppliers and the purely objective managers (read: politically motivated editors) have increased exponentially, diluting the real product. It is difficult to discern between the two. Time will tell and hopefully filter out the fakes, with the genuine journalists rising to the top, again.

I am not ready to say the overall quality of the profession is in steep decline, rather, the overall quantity of the pseudo-suppliers and the purely objective managers (read: politically motivated editors) have increased exponentially, diluting the real product. It is difficult to discern between the two. Time will tell and hopefully filter out the fakes, with the genuine journalists rising to the top, again.
If you’re diluting the product then the overall quality is indeed dropping

I had the volume on the TV turned down so I could hear Matt Park. He had his own issues.

Couldn't tell the difference between #98 Williams and #92 Denaburg.

When we had a fake #92 on kick returns (probably Wax), he thought it was #82 Alford.

Needs a better spotter.

[Biting my tongue]

She fit in perfectly with the Yukon crowd.
That “stadium” did not make a great TV impression.

Ok so explain the infamous Knob Creek/Syria incident by ABC. Seriously it’s everywhere.
That seems like a perfect explanation of journalism accountability working. They aired it on a Sunday night, and the next morning retracted it and released an apology about its use, and also retracted it during their newscast Monday night at the same time the video aired on Sunday night's newscast.

It was a bad mistake, no one would discount that. But they corrected it publicly twice. They admitted they had received the video from a "sensitive source purported to be on the ground" in Syria. They didn't do their due diligence with fact-checking and verifying from an independent source. That's a huge issue, no doubt about that. I don't see a malicious mistake, just a Sunday night crew that is typically understaffed making a dumb decision based on their thirst for having something first, instead of checking and making sure beyond a reasonable doubt that it was right.

I could also say to you that good journalism is "everywhere" as well. As it is. I work in the field as an ombudsperson and professor of journalism and journalistic ethics. I sit on national boards that look at the quality of journalism around the country and critique the work of journalists on a daily and weekly basis. There are mistakes, and those mistakes 99% of the time are corrected and apologized for. Those corrections are not in more multitude than they once were, specifically when discussing the explosion of "media" sources in a social media world.

You're wrong in your assertion that it is worse than it was, or that there is some overarching malicious intent from journalists. This isn't the forum for this conversation so I will stop discussing it here. Sorry, all for hijacking the thread.

C207B426-5F66-46AF-8E77-BF2218211E3A.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors