That was the worst broadcast team to do a Syracuse FB game, right? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

That was the worst broadcast team to do a Syracuse FB game, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether there are terrible stories about him or not … he isn’t wrong.
He just doesn't really have much of a leg to stand on when talking about professionalism. But I agree - there are a ton of solid, well-taught play-by-play announcers out there who deserve a chance to do a game like that over Meghan McPeak. I'm sure she's a great basketball commentator, but she was not very good last night, at all.

Last edited:
He just doesn't really have much of a leg to stand on when talking about professionalism. But I agree - there are a ton of solid, well-taught play-by-play announcers out there who deserve a chance to do a game like that over Meghan McPeak. I'm sure she's a great basketball commentator, but she was not very well last night, at all.
The broad media in general lacks professionalism … nothing new there.

DFB832EA-ED07-4A61-994F-FCD3E26BA5B4.jpeg

The broad media in general lacks professionalism … nothing new there.
That's not true. I worked in broadcast journalism for decades, and most people I worked with were grinders and truly good journalists who cared about their communities and cared deeply about their colleagues in the field. As in any profession, there are those who don't deserve to be where they are, but by and large the people I knew truly cared and were the hardest workers I've ever met anywhere.

Hey, it wasn’t LUPE’s fault!!!

She’d never called a football game in her life! That is on her employer! She performed admirably, under difficult circumstances.
That may be so, but she was unprepared, unorganized, and inattentive to the action on the field. She also did not have command of the English language.

That's not true. I worked in broadcast journalism for decades, and most people I worked with were grinders and truly good journalists who cared about their communities and cared deeply about their colleagues in the field. As in any profession, there are those who don't deserve to be where they are, but by and large the people I knew truly cared and were the hardest workers I've ever met anywhere.
Sorry but it has gone down hill the last decade with a bullet … this repetitive quote twisting like the Mikel Jones non-sense runs rampant. Journalism now has to create a lot of false narratives to keep the eyeballs due to the explosion in social media. I watched a panel on journalistic integrity back in Austin this summer and even those in the profession consider it to be a rampant problem. Again click bait has ruled the profession.

Uhhh he did offer advice... he said to do better homework and that there are better more qualified people who could have called that game
Through a work connection I have I have been somewhat privy the the work is put in by someone who cares about the craft of play-by-play broadcasting. If she did that level of work, (assuming she has had some training of some kind) and this was the result, she might want to reconsider her choice of profession. Maybe she should be a teleprompter reader. If she didn't put in the prep work, maybe she will get the hint and do the work required.

What fun would that be? Besides we technically only have 99 options … thank you Dr Gross.
Does the rule book say that only integers can be used? (Too lazy to look it up.):)

Does the rule book say that only integers can be used? (Too lazy to look it up.):)
Well we could have a player wearing the constant PI but can you imagine how many jokes would be made about holes in the OL?

Sorry but it has gone down hill the last decade with a bullet … this repetitive quote twisting like the Mikel Jones non-sense runs rampant. Journalism now has to create a lot of false narratives to keep the eyeballs due to the explosion in social media. I watched a panel on journalistic integrity back in Austin this summer and even those in the profession consider it to be a rampant problem. Again click bait has ruled the profession.
Again, this is wrong. Every profession has idiots and bad apples. Journalism is not immune. The difference is the mistakes and misrepresentations that some poor journalists make are now available to a much wider audience thanks to social media.

As social media has increased our awareness of the number of crazies out there, it has also shone a light on bad journalists and bad journalism. That kid who posted that quote was in about his third month at that job straight out of college. It was a really dumb move and he hasn't learned anything from it either, as he doubled down on it last week. If I were his boss I'd put a gag order on his social media use until he proves his worth as a journalist.

In the eyes of the world, one bad apple spoils the bunch. I get that. But the journalists covering your community and covering the world at large are passionate (more often than not) about two things: getting their stories right beyond the shadow of a doubt, and their ethical obligations as a journalist.

Yep, the climate has changed and a bigger spotlight is being put on bad journalism (as it should), but that does not mean that the vast majority of journalists are also bad.

That may be so, but she was unprepared, unorganized, and inattentive to the action on the field. She also did not have command of the English language.
Putting a former basketball player, who apparently isn't all that familiar with football, in that position...that is totally on her employer. They have the ultimate responsibility for product and content. The lack of preparation and basic professional skills during the game...that's on her. Even a student intern who works as a weekend weathercaster in a small market station knows how the green screen works. She clearly didn't spend the week learning more than the basics about the two teams or even the sport. Maybe she was just extremely nervous and went into a shell, I have no idea.

Pairing her with a competent color commentator would have helped somewhat, but he sucked mightily too. In fact, had the PBP person been good, the trainwreck of a color guy would have had his own thread today.

And she thought it was Pena with the strip and TD. Not realizing that we have a #2 on offense and a #2 on defense.
That one really bothered me. I understand it can be hard when the two guys are wearing the same number. But it's not like Wax is an unknown player on the defense.

Again, this is wrong. Every profession has idiots and bad apples. Journalism is not immune. The difference is the mistakes and misrepresentations that some poor journalists make are now available to a much wider audience thanks to social media.

As social media has increased our awareness of the number of crazies out there, it has also shone a light on bad journalists and bad journalism. That kid who posted that quote was in about his third month at that job straight out of college. It was a really dumb move and he hasn't learned anything from it either, as he doubled down on it last week. If I were his boss I'd put a gag order on his social media use until he proves his worth as a journalist.

In the eyes of the world, one bad apple spoils the bunch. I get that. But the journalists covering your community and covering the world at large are passionate (more often than not) about two things: getting their stories right beyond the shadow of a doubt, and their ethical obligations as a journalist.

Yep, the climate has changed and a bigger spotlight is being put on bad journalism (as it should), but that does not mean that the vast majority of journalists are also bad.
Ok so explain the infamous Knob Creek/Syria incident by ABC. Seriously it’s everywhere.

And the retraction made it to Twitter … these aren’t guys fresh out of school doing this let’s cut through the bull sh$& …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom