The 10 things you currently dislike the most in college basketball | Syracusefan.com

The 10 things you currently dislike the most in college basketball

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
What are the things that draw the most ire out of you today as a Syracuse or college basketball fan?

Note - if it's a team, a coach, or a player from the past, they still qualify ONLY IF they draw lots of hatred from you even when mentioned today.

Could be a team, a player, a coach, an announcer, a conference, NCAA related, a ref. But I would imagine most of the things that piss you off the most today are fairly current in nature. They just have to be related to College Basketball.

Also, please do not include myself or any Syracusefan posters on the list.

Rank 1-10

Last edited:
#1 - The NCAA
#2 - Duke
#3 - Coach K
#4 - UConn
#5 - John Calipari
#6 - UNC
#7 - Grayson Allen
#8 - Joe Lunardi
#9 - Jamie Dixon
#10 - Doug Gottlieb

It was hard to cut to 10, and I am sure there will be some that I want to change later. There will be a chance after this initial polling.

1. How infuriating inconsistent NCAA officiating is--in large part because NCAA refs are part time employees, and b/c the NCAA has no mechanism [unlike the NBA] to hold refs accountable for sucking at their job
  2. That #1 above has allowed a beautiful game of skill to devolve into scrums / rock fights that keep inferior teams in games
  3. Coaches who spend the entire game out on the court--huge pet peeve of mine
  4. The absurd home court advantage that teams like Duke, UK, and Kansas get
  5. That ESPN has basically become a 24/7 propaganda schill for Kentucky / Calipari
  6. That we land good enough players to have them be early entry candidates, but that they aren't transcendent enough for us to benefit from it while they are here / they don't or can't carry us to the promised land before they are gone
  7. That our coaching staff doesn't place more emphasis on practicing defensive rebounding
  8. B1G basketball, which sucks
  9. How sleazy AAU programs have made recruiting, which was already sleazy to begin with
  10. The NCAA and their hypocritical, arbitrary, and capricious enforcement of the rules--to say nothing of their selective bias about who to go after and who they don't.

And one bonus one...

11. Eph uconn

1.Uconn
2.Gtown
3.Early entry
4. The Refs
5. The corrupt Ncaa
6.The sleazy recruiting process
7. Gottlieb/Lunardi
8.The phrase "score the ball"
9.Espn
10. The lack of interest in the sport before March

1. How infuriating inconsistent NCAA officiating is--in large part because NCAA refs are part time employees, and b/c the NCAA has no mechanism [unlike the NBA] to hold refs accountable for sucking at their job
  2. That #1 above has allowed a beautiful game of skill to devolve into scrums / rock fights that keep inferior teams in games
  5. That ESPN has basically become a 24/7 propaganda schill for Kentucky / Calipari
  6. That we land good enough players to have them be early entry candidates, but that they aren't transcendent enough for us to benefit from it while they are here / they don't or can't carry us to the promised land before they are gone
  7. That our coaching staff doesn't place more emphasis on practicing defensive rebounding
  9. How sleazy AAU programs have made recruiting, which was already sleazy to begin with
  10. The NCAA and their hypocritical, arbitrary, and capricious enforcement of the rules--to say nothing of their selective bias about who to go after and who they don't.
And one bonus one...

11. Eph uconn

#3 is so huge for me. it's such a relatively small thing, but it drives me CRAZY.

#6 is the one hurting us the most as a program I think

1. Too many charges.
2. Too much clutching and grabbing allowed.
3. Too much 3 point chucking by bad shooters.
4. Too much roster turnover every year.
5. Too many players screwed over by stupid NCAA rules/decisions.
6. Calipari
7. Coach K
8. Too many bad refs, in general.
9. The NCAA tourney is played on those crappy, generic courts.
10. The Final Four is played in giant football stadiums that are awful hoops venues.

What are the things that draw the most ire out of you today as a Syracuse or college basketball fan?

Note - if it's a team, a coach, or a player from the past, they still qualify if they draw lots of hatred from you when mentioned today.

The 10 things can be anything (past or current) -- a team, a player, a coach, an announcer, a conference, NCAA related, a ref. They just have to be related to College Basketball.

Rank 1-10
1. I really disliked how silent G was always referred to as the Duke transfer. He was at Syracuse for 4 years. We have had other transfers where they never mentioned the school the kid came from. Ryan Blackwell for example. And just a follow up on this, imagine if g had transferred from syracuse to Duke and improved like he did. Can you imagine the look what K did with this kid remarks?
2. Doug Gottlieb. My reason is a little different than most. I respect Doug's knowledge of college basketball. However, he almost never says anything positive about anyone. He is like a roller coaster that only goes down. Life is too short to think that way.
3. Having Barkley and smith and crew do the NCAA tournament. They haven't watched a game all year and suddenly there they are.
4. G-town.
5. Jerk off refs. Not all the refs mind you. I don't let them bother me like when I was a younger man. No, it's refs like the guy that called Cooney out of bounds. He just wanted to make the big call. He was out of position and he was wrong. And it could have cost a team to advance. Jerkoff
6. Dick Vitale I know I know. He was good for the game. And he was. But he passed his sell by date years ago. Now, he plays favorites just too much. Duke this. Notre Dame that. My son in law won a big court case this week. He does some very good things. He also lets you know he does some very good things. It's time for him to go.
7. Male cheerleaders. I really don't have anything against these guys but I figure they take up a spot of some hot girls. I likey hot girls.
8. UConn being left out of the P-5 ..wait, this is the list of things you don't like not the list of things you love. Never mind this one.
9. Jimmy Dykes
10. The state of Kentucky's D-1 head basketball coaches. I'm sure this drags some poor guys from schools other than Kentucky and Louisville but sorry.

And one bonus one...

11. Eph uconn

Good ones! I don't really believe #5 at all but, "Let it Be."

I'll add a few:

- Possession arrow.
- Syracuse staff seeming to place too much emphasis on defense over offense. We have been rolling out pedestrian offense at best for years now with some lottery picks on these teams.
- Why John Saunders is allowed to still call games.

1. I really disliked how silent G was always referred to as the Duke transfer. He was at Syracuse for 4 years. We have had other transfers where they never mentioned the school the kid came from. Ryan Blackwell for example. And just a follow up on this, imagine if g had transferred from syracuse to Duke and improved like he did. Can you imagine the look what K did with this kid remarks?
2. Doug Gottlieb. My reason is a little different than most. I respect Doug's knowledge of college basketball. However, he almost never says anything positive about anyone. He is like a roller coaster that only goes down. Life is too short to think that way.
3. Having Barkley and smith and crew do the NCAA tournament. They haven't watched a game all year and suddenly there they are.
4. G-town.
5. Jerk off refs. Not all the refs mind you. I don't let them bother me like when I was a younger man. No, it's refs like the guy that called Cooney out of bounds. He just wanted to make the big call. He was out of position and he was wrong. And it could have cost a team to advance. Jerkoff
6. Dick Vitale I know I know. He was good for the game. And he was. But he passed his sell by date years ago. Now, he plays favorites just too much. Duke this. Notre Dame that. My son in law won a big court case this week. He does some very good things. He also lets you know he does some very good things. It's time for him to go.
7. Male cheerleaders. I really don't have anything against these guys but I figure they take up a spot of some hot girls. I likey hot girls.
8. UConn being left out of the P-5 ..wait, this is the list of things you don't like not the list of things you love. Never mind this one.
9. Jimmy Dykes
10. The state of Kentucky's D-1 head basketball coaches. I'm sure this drags some poor guys from schools other than Kentucky and Louisville but sorry.

Yeah, your #3 irks me.

1. North Carolina not getting the death penalty or at least a 5 year ban
2. UConn and their meathead fans
3. The charge rule.
4. Possession Arrow
5. Terrible Officiating
6. Duke and their FAKE fans
7. Georgetown and all Zero of their fans
8. The Clutch and Grab
9. Jamie Dixon
10. ESPN

1. Georgetown
2. John Higgins
3. Mike Stephens
4. Jamie Dixon
5. Our failure to recruit enough deadeye shooters
6. Georgetown
7. UConn
8. One-and-dones meaning you never get to know great college players
9. The rise of "Bracketology" morons
10. NCAA (this should be higher but I'm not going to reorder them)

I was hoping to tabulate things a bit at the end, so I may generalize a few points -- they are all very valid.

1. (NCAA OFFICIATING) How infuriating inconsistent NCAA officiating is--in large part because NCAA refs are part time employees, and b/c the NCAA has no mechanism [unlike the NBA] to hold refs accountable for sucking at their job
  2. (CLUTCHING AND GRABBING / ROCK FIGHTS) That #1 above has allowed a beautiful game of skill to devolve into scrums / rock fights that keep inferior teams in games
  3. (Coaches who spend the entire game out on the court--huge pet peeve of mine
And one bonus one...

11. Eph uconn

Note - if it's a team, a coach, or a player from the past, they still qualify ONLY IF they draw lots of hatred from you even when mentioned today.

Could be a team, a player, a coach, an announcer, a conference, NCAA related, a ref. But I would imagine most of the things that piss you off the most today are fairly current in nature. They just have to be related to College Basketball.

Rank 1-10

Bracketology
Rankings, both the polls and recruiting rankings. But most especially pre-season rankings (Pre season rankings would be #1 for me in Football)
One and Done
NCAAs "clearing", or lack thereof, of foreign educated athletes
Louisville fans
Traveling, palming the ball not being called (The Euro step is a euphemism for traveling legally)
Not knowing when Hopkins takes over, how he will do
Dome Dogs - are the bone chips part of the charm, or are they one step ahead of the health department?
Dribble Drive, 1 on 1, ISO, hero ball
RPI blind resumes

1. Georgetown
2. John Higgins
3. Mike Stephens
4. Jamie Dixon
5. Our failure to recruit enough deadeye shooters
6. Georgetown
7. UConn
8. One-and-dones meaning you never get to know great college players
9. The rise of "Bracketology" morons
10. NCAA (this should be higher but I'm not going to reorder them)
Very nice list.
Would only be better if numbers 2 through 5 were Georgetown.

1: Officials not being replaced for doing their job poorly, or at least improving and learning from mistakes.
2: So many unwarranted charges called.
3: No more playing at MSG for the BE tourney.
4: Pittsburgh, and the clutch and grab being allowed still from multiple teams.
5: Lunardi, and ESPN turning into clickbait TV. Most of ESPN really.
6: Blatant inconsistency by the NCAA. The NCAA in general. Doing nothing even after admitted violations. While hurting other athletes, schools over something ridiculous. Basically everything about them, and somehow they still exist.
7: The awful courts for the tournament. Unsafe, and bland.
8: The scheduling. Sometimes a week off, sometimes three games in a week.
9: The Dome atmosphere. Sitting for too much of the game, or just not making any noise besides the occasional half assed motivation clap. Unless we go on a big run. Then all the junk during timeouts that doesn't help keep momentum going, or just keeps people sitting. Sucks the air out of the Dome.
10: People somehow not wearing Orange. I'm pretty hard on our fans, to each their own I suppose. Probably could have done 10 on the general base, but I'm no better. Less hatred for certain players, I was the worst at this before but realized it's crazy.

Bonus: Beer sales ending at halftime.
Double Bonus: Noon games

1. Ncaa
2. Refs anticipating calls - we need more refs
3. Officiating inconsistency - why is the end of the game called differently than beginning?
4. Espn talking points and announcers
5. Missing parts of live game action due to graphics, camera effects, etc. or well-off announcers talking about who they just played golf with at some fancy course
6. The calls at the end of Michian game and any Louisville game non-calls
7. The Butler Matt Howard rugby match
8. Mark Schwartz and other ambulance chasers
9. Themes of militarism
10. Nobody can shoot

1. Passing of Pearl and Orangeyes
2. high player turnover and consequent deterioration of team skills, ie college basketball.
3. realignment sucking the meaning out of our traditional rivalries with Georgetown and UCon.
4. bad referees
5. Our NBA record; too many of our players not sticking or starting in the pros and Melo not playing with a good cast.
6. losses to Navy and Richmond and Onuaku's knees. Old scars never heal.
7. N Carolina getting a pass instead of the death penalty they deserve.
8. the way Rick Pitino dresses. Who wears a white suit?
9. the concentration of power due to high player turnover creating more roster openings. This enables a few teams to suck up all the best players.
10. the idiots that got us on probation including Melo #2 with his alcohol soaked peanut sized brain.

1. Too many fouls
2. Too many commercials
3. Too many stops in play
4. Too many free throws
5. Too many time outs for coaches
6. Instant replays/refs checking monitors and then upgrading a foul
7. Flopping
8. Acting
9. Play-in games in NCAA tournament
10. Lack of other tournaments/high-quality non-conference games between December and April. There should be a "champions league" tourney of the top teams from each P5 that play throughout the season.

Bracketology
Rankings, both the polls and recruiting rankings. But most especially pre-season rankings (Pre season rankings would be #1 for me in Football)
One and Done
NCAAs "clearing", or lack thereof, of foreign educated athletes
Louisville fans
Traveling, palming the ball not being called (The Euro step is a euphemism for traveling legally)
Not knowing when Hopkins takes over, how he will do
Dome Dogs - are the bone chips part of the charm, or are they one step ahead of the health department?
Dribble Drive, 1 on 1, ISO, hero ball
RPI blind resumes

Nice. Can't believe I forgot to mention preseason poll rankings. I always pity the first person who decides to post a thread on that issue and where SU should and shouldn't be vis-a-vis the 'experts.' They will continue to be berated by me.

1 Monopoly on top 20 recruits by Kentucky, Duke, Kansas.
2 Conference realignments.
3 One and done attitudes, even before it's earned.
4 RPI 'calculations.'
5 NCAA's slow, illogical rulings.
6 Games beginning before noon PACIFIC time.
7 Having to subscribe to a cruddy web service to see every game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom