The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Here is a question for those in the know ... and sorry if it has already been asked ...

How will a potential Dome renovation play into this coaching equation? From my shoes, this is a huge component. Maybe the biggest.

If, by chance, we played the entire 2016 season on the road, I'd think AD Coyle keeps Shafer. However, if our year on the road come in 2017, that impacts his ability to recruit or attract the next head coach.

Complicated. If Coyle has any say, he should suggest to Kent to get the Dome started ASAP, the day after the last hoops game, extend Shafer (one year) with a buyout and keep his list up to the minute. He's going to have a MUCH easier time getting a new HC to come work for the first season in a new Dome, than having said HC go on the road for his second season. Right?

Yes I was and to be honest we really aren't that far from it now.

That's your opinion. Mine is that we may have foundational pieces of the puzzle in place [especially re: offensive skilled players] that we didn't have under GRob that would facilitate a rapid turnaround with the right coaching.

He should have an idea of what he wants already since he just went through this process last year at Boise State.
It was actually almost two years ago. He went young with Harzin, who was only 37 when he was hired by Coyle.

Linkage

Here is a question for those in the know ... and sorry if it has already been asked ...

How will a potential Dome renovation play into this coaching equation? From my shoes, this is a huge component. Maybe the biggest.

If, by chance, we played the entire 2016 season on the road, I'd think AD Coyle keeps Shafer. However, if our year on the road come in 2017, that impacts his ability to recruit or attract the next head coach.

Complicated. If Coyle has any say, he should suggest to Kent to get the Dome started ASAP, the day after the last hoops game, extend Shafer (one year) with a buyout and keep his list up to the minute. He's going to have a MUCH easier time getting a new HC to come work for the first season in a new Dome, than having said HC go on the road for his second season. Right?

Playing the entire season on the road would be a great reason to go out and hire a new coach. They basically get a pressure free year to install there offense and defense. They can test out players see who fits and who doesn't. Then by the end of the year when your offense is clicking. You can promote come watch the new high powered Syracuse offense in our new renovated dome. I think that is the approach they should take. No year should be a wasted year.

It was actually almost two years ago. He went young with Harzin, who was only 37 when he was hired by Coyle.

Linkage

I have been trying to search for the list of people he interviewed. But I internet dumb sometimes. I know he had Frost but can't get a list of other names.

This only makes sense.

Sure. He also inherited a system. No idea if he can coach it without having the foundation [and personnel] already installed, innovate off of it for personnel, or recruit for it outside of the cozy, amniotic sack that is Oregon--which has the best facilities in the world and is fresh off of a national championship game appearance.

And none of the data presented above gives any insight about whether or not he can be a successful head coach--those say a lot more about his apptitude as an OC.

Maybe I am wrong but isn't Frost at Oregon St??

What about the kids in the program now? What about the kids verbally committed? How do you recruit with a coach that this year or next could be his last? Extend him or let him go NOW!! This "waiting" is a bunch of political CRAP!!! I have no say which way it goes but I know one thing.....screwing around is setting the program back more then any coach can!!! There are people making a hell of a lot of money making the decisions, stop dragging your damn feet and make a decision....the coaches deserve that much!!! The kids deserve that MUCH!!! The fan base deserves that much!!! And MOST of all the PROGRAM deserves that much!!!

Playing the entire season on the road would be a great reason to go out and hire a new coach. They basically get a pressure free year to install there offense and defense. They can test out players see who fits and who doesn't. Then by the end of the year when your offense is clicking. You can promote come watch the new high powered Syracuse offense in our new renovated dome. I think that is the approach they should take. No year should be a wasted year.

This is an interesting quandary. A few thoughts ...

1 - Your thought(s) are solid, I just don't think it is in the DNA of most football coaches. Win now, win today, win the 4th quarter, etc. Your post is hardly conceding the season, but in the realm of reality, you are essentially saddling a new HC with an automatic 3-6 win season in his first campaign. It'll be a beast.

2 - Your formula would seem to require that a young and energetic coach be at the helm. Someone like UConn's dork. On behalf of everyone, he'd have to fake enthusiasm for everyone for 20 months, which is the duration of his hire to his debut coaching in the refurbished Carrier Dome.

3 - I think this arrangement would also hinder the HC's ability to attract assistant coaches. Maybe I am overthing this, but it won't make this function any easier.

4 - This scenario would also scream for Coyle to step forward. THis is not a criticism, but he's been a quiet leader to date (aka work behind the scenes, observing, etc.). And I think that makes sense for him. But he will have to step forward, be vocal, be assertive and sheppard this new HC of your through a challenging 2-year baptism. I am sure there is a lot more to come from Coyle, but we just have not seen it yet.

How can we go back any further? Right now we are one of the bottom P5 football schools in the nation? Can't really get much worse.
Yes it can. Grob era team would get smoked by this shafer team and it could have gotten worse during the grob era. There is alway worse. The bottom line is the Anti shafer guys aren't going to change their mind and the one more year guys are the same way.

He's 66 years old.

A very young 66 since he's rich, didn't coach to 66 and is doing this now as a complete love of the game type endeavor. I wouldn't discount this story dropping today and Thamel casually mentioning Syracuse there. I subscribe to the national writers "if there's smoke (or a mention), there's fire".

Yes it can. Grob era team would get smoked by this shafer team and it could have gotten worse during the grob era. There is alway worse. The bottom line is the Anti shafer guys aren't going to change their mind and the one more year guys are the same way.

The point is you can't give Shafer one more year. You have to extend him and back up publicly otherwise we will have a lame duck coach and the recruiting will take a massive hit.

So now if Shafer posts a back to back 3-9 win season with a current 9 game losing streak how can you justify to your fan base giving that coach an extension??

elimunelson said:
A very young 66 since he's rich, didn't coach to 66 and is doing this now as a complete love of the game type endeavor. I wouldn't discount this story dropping today and Thamel casually mentioning Syracuse there. I subscribe to the national writers "if there's smoke (or a mention), there's fire".

Like this guy. I'd take a flyer.

I'd like him a lot better if he was 25 years younger.

This is a situation where we're not hiring a 10 year coach. It would be a 5 year situation where u would hope the enthusiasm would build up Syracuse to national prominence again. Like I keep saying, Syracuse has to shoot for the moon to get there. We don't have the luxury of looking for a strong singles hitter to maintain our .300 batting average. We are a crappy team right now in need of a bolt of lightening.

I would be against any first time HC. We need a coach who has been a HC before. I don't care if its FBS or FCS we can't afford to gamble. I think we can get a HC. Doc Holliday, Matt Rhule, Dino Babers hopefully are names we are pushing.

A young 66 since he's rich. :noidea:

I don't even know what that means. Are you saying he's lived a life of privilege, didn't have to dig ditches for a living, and hence ...? But that's neither here nor there.

Just because he didn't coach until recently doesn't mean he's not 66.

I mean, 66. Almost 70.

I wouldn't put any faith in anything Thamel says about this. I don't think he has many sources left at Syracuse. My opinion is he was taking a shot in the dark. He could just as easily said UCF, Illinois, and North Texas.

I would be against any first time HC. We need a coach who has been a HC before. I don't care if its FBS or FCS we can't afford to gamble. I think we can get a HC. Doc Holliday, Matt Rhule, Dino Babers hopefully are names we are pushing.

What if you have the choice of hiring an OC like Scott Frost or Lincoln Riley this year or wait a year and hire a HC type?

What about the kids in the program now? What about the kids verbally committed? How do you recruit with a coach that this year or next could be his last? Extend him or let him go NOW!! This "waiting" is a bunch of political CRAP!!! I have no say which way it goes but I know one thing...screwing around is setting the program back more then any coach can!!! There are people making a hell of a lot of money making the decisions, stop dragging your damn feet and make a decision...the coaches deserve that much!!! The kids deserve that MUCH!!! The fan base deserves that much!!! And MOST of all the PROGRAM deserves that much!!!

What's the benefit of letting him go now, as opposed to 2 weeks when the season is over?

What if you have the choice of hiring an OC like Scott Frost or Lincoln Riley this year or wait a year and hire a HC type?
I am not keeping SS as HC.
However I am not hiring a first time coach either. Our last 3 hires have been first time HCs. We need somebody who has done it before. Hell Coach P had that experience at that D-2 school in Connecticut. We need somebody that knows game managing. I don't want a first time HC and have him learn Gameday decisions, standing on the sidelines rather in the box.

We can get a coach with experience this year. We just the need the Chancellor/BOT give this AD the green light to spend market value.

We went to a Coastal Carolina game two weeks ago. Moglia is a God there. TD America just built a new athletic campus for them and they are expanding their stadium to 25,000 capacity. The Chanticleers are jumping to D1 in 2016.

I don't think he is going anywhere.

I am not keeping SS as HC.
However I am not hiring a first time coach either. Our last 3 hires have been first time HCs. We need somebody who has done it before. Hell Coach P had that experience at that D-2 school in Connecticut. We need somebody that knows game managing. I don't want a first time HC and have him learn Gameday decisions, standing on the sidelines rather in the box.

We can get a coach with experience this year. We just the need the Chancellor/BOT give this AD the green light to spend market value.
I was throwing out a theoretical case if you're the AD and just have the funds to hire a top OC type like Frost or Riley (Remember that was Herman and Montgomery last year), but would have more funds to hire a HC type like Babers, Campbell or the equivalent if you wait a year? What do you do?