The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

I was throwing out a theoretical case if you're the AD and just have the funds to hire a top OC type like Frost or Riley (Remember that was Herman and Montgomery last year), but would have more funds to hire a HC type like Babers, Campbell or the equivalent if you wait a year? What do you do?
Frost is no Herman IMO. Montgomery and Herman got non-P5 jobs. I wouldn't give Frost his first HC job at the P5 level. He isn't a sure thing. Riley you love the offense but he has not ties to the Northeast and I wouldn't give him the keys and feel good. He seems more like a real deal but not a fit for us.

I am not keeping SS as HC.
However I am not hiring a first time coach either. Our last 3 hires have been first time HCs. We need somebody who has done it before. Hell Coach P had that experience at that D-2 school in Connecticut. We need somebody that knows game managing. I don't want a first time HC and have him learn Gameday decisions, standing on the sidelines rather in the box.

We can get a coach with experience this year. We just the need the Chancellor/BOT give this AD the green light to spend market value.
Learn game day decisions?

Learn game day decisions?
When to go for it on 4th down and when to punt. When to use TOs, etc.
I want somebody who has coached before and not making those decisions for the first time.
Being a coordinator the HC decides those things. It is easy to lobby when your not the HC but when your the head guy you have the responsibility.

What's the benefit of letting him go now, as opposed to 2 weeks when the season is over?

The benefit of making whatever play they are going to make now is just that.....it's NOW!! Not the end of November, not stringing people along.....what does it serve to string people along?? If they are going to extend HCSS FINE...just do it.....this wait and see approach is maddening!! There's more then the HC and his staff waiting to see what happens.....I'm not advocating to fire him all I am saying is your HURTING the PROGRAM and the KIDS by screwing around and waiting to announce the decision!! It honestly looks like people don't know what they are doing...either he is the HC now and in the future or he isn't....not my call...I honestly like the man.....like all the coaches...but it's irresponsible to keep dragging it along for another two weeks!!! I'm sure if asked HCSS would say pretty much what I am...extend me or let me go....what are the last two games going to change one way or another in the grand scheme of things?? One great benefit would be the END of the forum of the "Coaching Carousel"!! LOL

What's the benefit of letting him go now, as opposed to 2 weeks when the season is over?

I would ask you...what is the benefit of waiting two weeks?? And I never advocated for him to be let go...just make the decision and OWN it!!

I would ask you...what is the benefit of waiting two weeks?? And I never advocated for him to be let go...just make the decision and OWN it!!
I have wanted SS gone as SU HC but the man does not deserve an in season firing. I hate in-season firing in college sports. Let the man have his dignity and fire him once the season is over. He deserves respect. I am not a fan of him as HC but he was a great DC and honorable man.
I would not fire him in-season. The benefit is treating him with respect.

I want somebody who has coached before and not making those decisions for the first time.
Being a coordinator the HC decides those things. It is easy to lobby when your not the HC but when your the head guy you have the responsibility.
You don't need HC experience to make correct game management decisions.

I have wanted SS gone as SU HC but the man does not deserve an in season firing. I hate in-season firing in college sports. Let the man have his dignity and fire him once the season is over. He deserves respect. I am not a fan of him as HC but he was a great DC and honorable man.
I would not fire him in-season. The benefit is treating him with respect.

I'm not saying fire him now either...ALL I am saying is make the decision, announce it, be done with it!!!

You don't need HC experience to make correct game management decisions.
I know this but if you what I said I don't want to gamble on the next HC. Our last 3 HC had zero data on them as HCs. I think we can't gamble this hire we need somebody as HC who is a little more developed.
Their are enough candidates with HC experience that we shouldn't gamble on a coordinator.

I'm not saying fire him now either...ALL I am saying is make the decision, announce it, be done with it!!!
Fair enough though I think that unless the BOT/Chancellor give the green light this AD knows he is keeping this staff.
Chakka has given us the info to know this AD hasn't been given the green light to make a change yet. I thought the decision was his but the AD needs it approved. Thus, unless he can pay the next coach market value there isn't going to be change.
If SS remains HC it very likely because BOT/Chancellor didn't give the AD the authority to do so.

Fair enough though I think that unless the BOT/Chancellor give the green light this AD knows he is keeping this staff.
Chakka has given us the info to know this AD hasn't been given the green light to make a change yet. I thought the decision was his but the AD needs it approved. Thus, unless he can pay the next coach market value there isn't going to be change.
If SS remains HC it very likely because BOT/Chancellor didn't give the AD the authority to do so.

You could be correct, but what does that say too ADMC?? Your the AD but you don't get to make any decisions without the BOT/Chancellors approval? I would think with all I've heard about ADMC he's smarter then to set himself up like that...even for a boatload of money...and...I think it's more disrespectful too HCSS to string him aling in limbo.....he at least deserves to know his future....whether he's paid for the next year or not!!

What if you pair someone like Frost or Riley with ED O?

Like this guy. I'd take a flyer.

I believe you said a few months ago that 4 wins this season should get HCSS more time and you believed that all the way back to camp. Why the change of heart as he still has a chance to get to 4?

Alsacs said:
Not interested in a first time HC as our next HC. I just think it would be stupid and not something I would be optimistic about.

To be fair - getting something you could be optimistic about it a pretty tall task.

Louie and Bouie said:
I believe you said a few months ago that 4 wins this season should get HCSS more time and you believed that all the way back to camp. Why the change of heart as he still has a chance to get to 4?

I had more faith in the offense back then. If we were clearly improving on offense I'd say that it's enough. But we've gotten worse as the season has gone on - relative to our competition.

Shafer tied himself to Lester by promoting him midseason and it's not worked out. Shafer goes down with the ship.

I still like the guy very much. Just ready to rebuild.

To be fair - getting something you could be optimistic about it a pretty tall task.
If you honestly believe this you don't know me(which you don't). I am very enthusiastic when it is appropriate. I just don't call mediocrity better than it is. I am realist not idealist.

I would be against any first time HC. We need a coach who has been a HC before. I don't care if its FBS or FCS we can't afford to gamble. I think we can get a HC. Doc Holliday, Matt Rhule, Dino Babers hopefully are names we are pushing.
this i agree with if were getting rid of shafer then we gotta get someone who has already been a head coach

I had more faith in the offense back then. If we were clearly improving on offense I'd say that it's enough. But we've gotten worse as the season has gone on - relative to our competition.

Shafer tied himself to Lester by promoting him midseason and it's not worked out. Shafer goes down with the ship.

I still like the guy very much. Just ready to rebuild.

I was in the same boat. And then 1:00 to go in the first half against FSU happened. Game over for me.

If SS remains HC it very likely because BOT/Chancellor didn't give the AD the authority to do so.[/QU
If this is the case though and he doesn't get the go ahead, you really have to wonder why Coyle made the move to SU in the first place, or why he'd stick around for long.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 14m14 minutes ago
Supply/demand issues coming to the forefront soon. One P5 AD who doesn’t want to lose his coach but could told me: “It’s a shallow pool.”

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken
Syracuse, Iowa State, etc., should sit tight IMO.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 14m14 minutes ago
Supply/demand issues coming to the forefront soon. One P5 AD who doesn’t want to lose his coach but could told me: “It’s a shallow pool.”

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken
Syracuse, Iowa State, etc., should sit tight IMO.
Coyle?

Shallow pool?

Coyle?

Shallow pool?

Interesting how he specifically calls out Syracuse and ISU, so I probably figure that comment came from one of those two AD's. Maybe it was Coyle.

Alsacs said:
If you honestly believe this you don't know me(which you don't). I am very enthusiastic when it is appropriate. I just don't call mediocrity better than it is. I am realist not idealist.

I know - I was jabbing you because I don't remember any even semi-positive post in the last couple of months (not to say I can blame ya).