The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

I know - I was jabbing you because I don't remember any even semi-positive post in the last couple of months (not to say I can blame ya).

hahah I was actually thinking about my almost exclusive negativity I have posted the past 4 months so I went over to the Bball board for a few posts to talk about Tyler Lydon, and Malachai. Made me feel a little better to make some positive posts.

I really hate being critical. I typically would consider myself more of a positive person. I just haven't found anything to be really excited about the past 2 seasons.

Fair enough though I think that unless the BOT/Chancellor give the green light this AD knows he is keeping this staff.
Chakka has given us the info to know this AD hasn't been given the green light to make a change yet. I thought the decision was his but the AD needs it approved. Thus, unless he can pay the next coach market value there isn't going to be change.
If SS remains HC it very likely because BOT/Chancellor didn't give the AD the authority to do so.
If this is so why did Coyle take the AD job in the first place? Or why would he stay?

If this is so why did Coyle take the AD job in the first place? Or why would he stay?
It's a better opprotunity. Most P5 schools the AD doesn't have sole authority to make a decision as large as firing the football coach.. In fact I would be shocked if any P5 schools do.

It's a better opprotunity. Most P5 schools the AD doesn't have sole authority to make a decision as large as firing the football coach.. In fact I would be shocked if any P5 schools do.
But he didn't come from a scrub school or situation; you'd think there was some discussion/negotiation of this exact scenario going in.

That's a little misleading though. It's like the Superintendent of a school and the B.O.E. - a majority of the time the Superintendent makes a recommendation and the board goes along with it. It's why they hired the Superintendent or Athletic Director in the first place. So yes, the Athletic Director doesn't just make decisions completely autonomous but most A.D.'s take their position assuming the direction they want to take (their recommendations) will happen.

That's a little misleading though. It's like the Superintendent of a school and the B.O.E. - a majority of the time the Superintendent makes a recommendation and the board goes along with it. It's why they hired the Superintendent or Athletic Director in the first place. So yes, the Athletic Director doesn't just make decisions completely autonomous but most A.D.'s take their position assuming the direction they want to take (their recommendations) will happen.
Typically I agree with you but we are not in a normal situation.

Disagree. The possibility that he might have to make a decision on whether to fire or extend Shafer was entirely predictable when Coyle was hired, so I have to assume it was covered in his negotiation for the job.

No doubt about that. I agree with you that the situation at SU isn't typical of what happens at most colleges. But many situations are unique anyway.

tep624 said:
Interesting how he specifically calls out Syracuse and ISU, so I probably figure that comment came from one of those two AD's. Maybe it was Coyle.

I don't think it's either. I think it's an AD who thinks his coach could take a better P5 job.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 14m14 minutes ago
Supply/demand issues coming to the forefront soon. One P5 AD who doesn’t want to lose his coach but could told me: “It’s a shallow pool.”

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken
Syracuse, Iowa State, etc., should sit tight IMO.
Well, considering Wolken's judgement allowed this to happen on top of his head, I'm willing to hear out a second opinion.
Dan+Wolken.jpg

I know - I was jabbing you because I don't remember any even semi-positive post in the last couple of months (not to say I can blame ya).
I gave SS and TL credit after the LSU game. I said during the Clemson game if we win SS deserves an extra year. I give credit and when I am wrong I don't hide I call myself out. I know I am not always right and want to win games no matter who is in charge. I want to win these last two games even if it means another year of SS. Why? Because the laundry comes before who is leading it.

I don't think it's either. I think it's an AD who thinks his coach could take a better P5 job.
I agree I read that like a school like Mississippi State could lose Dan Mullen, North Carolina could lose Larry Fedora, or Arizona could lose Rich Rodriguez to another school.

I honestly thought that was the Arizona AD thinking Rich-Rod might take the Virginia Tech job.

Yeah let's listen to a guy telling us to sit tight when we have been 7-17 the two previous years. There are always going to be openings every year. If this AD recommends a change I honestly believe the Chancellor/BOT will go along with it.

As no matter at the end of this season some money will have to be spend on the SU HC position. Either SS gets an extension or we get another coach.

I suggest that Syracuse go hard after Mike Leach.

Reason #1 - Leach's offense draws fans to the stadium and to TV sets.
Reason #2 - Leach draws media attention.
Reason #3 - Leach has proven he can win better than expected at 2 schools located far away from even halfway hot recruiting fields.

Leach would have the Carrier Dome rocking.

Jeff Brohm

Petrino protege, current HC, former OC, eastern ties, former QB
Brohm is a Louisville native and now HC at Western Kentucky. His family has deep ties to Louisville. Brohm's dream job is to replace Petrino at Louisville. I doubt he would take another ACC job.

Reason #3 - Leach has proven he can win better than expected at 2 schools located far away from even halfway hot recruiting fields.

Can't see him leaving WSU for Cuse. He is building that program, why would he leave for a lower level P5 gig at SU? Love the idea but just doesn't seem the least bit feasible (unfortunately)

I have been trying to search for the list of people he interviewed. But I internet dumb sometimes. I know he had Frost but can't get a list of other names.
I took a shot at this on Page 9 of this thread but just found a better link:

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2013/12/oregon_offensive_coordinator_s.html

The candidates (and their current jobs) were:
Bryan Harsin (hired)
Scott Frost (OC for Oregon)
Dirk Koetter (OC for the TB Bucs)
Justin Wilcox (DC for USC)
Former Boise assistant coach Bob Gregory (Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers Coach for Washington)
Former Boise assistant coach Chris Strausser (Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach for Washington)

Jeff Tedford (BC Lions HC) may have also been considered.

A lot of guys based out west or with heavy West Coast roots, don't think any beyond Frost would be on his list for the SU gig

Brohm is a Louisville native and now HC at Western Kentucky. His family has deep ties to Louisville. Brohm's dream job is to replace Petrino at Louisville. I doubt he would take another ACC job.
I get it. But, it may be a while before Petrino hangs it up. Come here, build a program up, and it makes it even easier for him to get the Louisville job when Petrino retires

djorange1989 said:
Can't see him leaving WSU for Cuse. He is building that program, why would he leave for a lower level P5 gig at SU? Love the idea but just doesn't seem the least bit feasible (unfortunately)

WSU is not a higher level P5. And we have a better history. If anything it's a lateral move - but we have a dome.

I took a shot at this on Page 9 of this thread but just found a better link:

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2013/12/oregon_offensive_coordinator_s.html

The candidates (and their current jobs) were:
Bryan Harsin (hired)
Scott Frost (OC for Oregon)
Dirk Koetter (OC for the TB Bucs)
Justin Wilcox (DC for USC)
Former Boise assistant coach Bob Gregory (Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers Coach for Washington)
Former Boise assistant coach Chris Strausser (Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach for Washington)

Jeff Tedford (BC Lions HC) may have also been considered.
I hope someone since then has told him about the Air Raid offense - and how nicely it would fit inside a Dome.

Well, we do have a big shed for all those players suffering from concussions
500866349_640.jpg

Are Dana Holgorsen and Sonny Dykes safe after this season? Would we have a chance to steal them even if they are?

Holgorsen might think it's impossible to win at WVU being such an outlier in the Big 12. Add in the Dome, ACC, little less obsessed fanbase up here. He's making $3 million annually. Is SU able to match that with maybe a little bump or better job security than what he has now?

It's too bad Tony Franklin is a weirdo and seemingly has no interest in being a head coach. One of the original innovators of the Air Raid.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ed-ultra-liberal-tony-franklin-at-home-at-cal

WSU is not a higher level P5. And we have a better history. If anything it's a lateral move - but we have a dome.

Oh I agree I didn't mean he would be moving down but he wouldn't be moving up so I can't see it. Dome or not.