The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Agreed. All I was questioning is whether Gregory had anything to do with that. Maybe he did. Just saying no one knows.

I imagine that some of the success on specials means that our talent level and depth is there.

That's not the point. I didn't say he was a slub. I love the kid. But he's never coached. He could be great but I'm not sure he'd be at the top of my list or near it. Just because he played here shouldn't mean a whole lot. People are picking and choosing when they use words like experience.

I might be able to see him as a ST coach, he's worked there this year. But I'm more concerned about the DB posts. We have a very young DB which struggled this year. We need a great hire there.

Get Henderson back, great DB coach. Not gonna happen but I can dream.

Our special teams went from horrible to solid this year. Is that due to Gregory? No idea but the improvement was clear

Daoust was put in charge of specials this year, I would pin the success squarely on his shoulders. He is a tremendous coach.

Retainees should be Daoust, Daoust and White.

If I'm hearing all this correctly people are on board with bringing in someone with no HC experience, no program ties and no significant NE ties to turn the tide here? Sounds like a Greg Robinson resume. How many years do we let that bad idea experiment last?

Daoust was put in charge of specials this year, I would pin the success squarely on his shoulders. He is a tremendous coach.

Probably nobody will be retained by a new HC.

If I'm hearing all this correctly people are on board with bringing in someone with no HC experience, no program ties and no significant NE ties to turn the tide here? Sounds like a Greg Robinson resume. How many years do we let that bad idea experiment last?

I would hope any A.D. we hired would be smart enough to not look at 3 things only and assume that anyone that fits that mold is the same. It fits your narrative perfectly though.

Even sider note: No we don't and I hope that's not a requirement.

If it is a requirement I really really hope it doesn't come down to hiring some bum retread defensive meathead coach who punts from the opponent 40 and attempts field goals from the 1. "But he has head coach experience! And northeast ties! Shafer was a horrible recruiter and the cupboard was bare! Talent talent rabble rabble" Here we go again...

Hire the best offensive college football mind you can possibly land (cough Air Raid expertise cough) regardless of HC experience.

Agree to disagree. Why not get both a great offensive mind with proven HC experience?

Being an OC is completely different than calling all the shots and running the whole program. Night and day.

Shafer was a very good DC, but when it came to calling all the shots and being in charge of key in-game situations, not so much.

We've been too lousy for too long to take another "chance" on a good coordinator turning into a HC.

Smart Head Coaches hire other good coaches for their staff regardless of where they come from. Best man available for the job, period, just like Marrone's land of misfit toys staff. Had some of the best here. Adkins, Anselmo, Shafer as DC, Daoust, Henderson.

Not on board for a new HC without HC experience at some level FCS or above.

Crusty said:
Marrone retained a couple from Robinson.

The general blueprint is for first time HCs is to retain some members from previous staff.

Would fit the mold of Frost is the guy.

I would hope any A.D. we hired would be smart enough to not look at 3 things only and assume that anyone that fits that mold is the same. It fits your narrative perfectly though.

Those wanting a fourth year have been berated with the "low expectations" argument. Just seems strange that the new coach supporters seemingly suffer from the same when considering a new hire. Btw, all of these arguments have been made by this board in regard to HCSS and his staff so I'm not inventing anything new.

Marrone retained a couple from Robinson.

The general blueprint is for first time HCs is to retain some members from previous staff.

Would fit the mold of Frost is the guy.
I am not sure there is a blueprint as each situation is unique. A new HC should interview existing staff and retain the talent he wants. Problem is the good ones may get better opportunities or simply not fit the new scheme.

Those wanting a fourth year have been berated with the "low expectations" argument. Just seems strange that the new coach supporters seemingly suffer from the same when considering a new hire. Btw, all of these arguments have been made by this board in regard to HCSS and his staff so I'm not inventing anything new.

My problem is that you're summarizing it as if any coordinator that could be hired is exactly like Greggers. It's nowhere near that simple. You're making correlations that aren't there.

I forgot about that, he certainly gets the main credit for that at the very least. He absolutely needs to stay and be elevated to DC. Also Acosta and White. So many kids talk about White, call him Coach White. Really valuable.

If Frost gets hired do you guys think he hires an OC or will he take that roll on? I would rather a first time HC not do that but maybe we can afford a guy like Orgeron if Frost is his own OC. Make Ed assistant HC/director of recruiting/whatever

Agree to disagree. Why not get both a great offensive mind with proven HC experience?

Being an OC is completely different than calling all the shots and running the whole program. Night and day.

Shafer was a very good DC, but when it came to calling all the shots and being in charge of key in-game situations, not so much.

We've been too lousy for too long to take another "chance" on a good coordinator turning into a HC.
Agree!!

My problem is that you're summarizing it as if any coordinator that could be hired is exactly like Greggers. It's nowhere near that simple. You're making correlations that aren't there.

Exactly. I would prefer a guy with HC experience but if we don't go that route we aren't dooming ourselves. Marrone was a pretty damn good coach so why can't the next guy be him and not Greggers?

I would think someone who is not a current HC would be more likely to retain staff, since he doesn't already have a staff from his current job

I'm not indulging thoughts about eventual next staff yet, but I do like the thought of Daoust staying on, possibly even as DC. And Acosta.

CuseOnly said:
Daoust was put in charge of specials this year, I would pin the success squarely on his shoulders. He is a tremendous coach. Retainees should be Daoust, Daoust and White.

So you're saying that coaching matters? ;)

CuseOnly said:
Of course it matters.
Yep. So when I read some people say that we couldn't expect to be any better than our recruiting rankings, that's kind of a silly expectation.

Yep. So when I read some people say that we couldn't expect to be any better than our recruiting rankings, that's kind of a silly expectation.

Not necessarily true. Crappy coaches absolutely can cause teams to underperform their recruits and team rankings.

I think that a great coach can slightly have kids outperform their recruiting ranking for short periods but over the long haul, they are pretty accurate.