The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

The Elephant in the Room:

Do we get said successful HC/OC, etc from an established P5/G5 program that can leave a few days later after hiring and take over completely? The program can't start hiring assistants after the coaches convention. His wife can pack the house...

Also, I'd like a review of all support positions...strength, medical and trainer staffs, nutrition, etc...time for new blood in some of these positions.

Baby Doll stays though...

If a new coach is coming...time to look at giving Gregory the DB/WR or ST's gig.

Gregory should stay. Markus Paul, S&C.

In K4aD (King for a Day) mode again.*

Eddie O DC/AHC, Daoust DC as second choice.

John Reagan OC/OL - would mesh well with Frost's Neb/Oregon offensive approach - Texas/Ok QB's and NE/Mid-Atlantic OL

Gregory CB/ST, - NYC/LI/NE

Darius -Safeties/LSC(Life Skills Coach)/assist S&C. - Camden/Philly/North Fla/S Ga.

* I know there's a wide world out there.

TexanMark said:
The Elephant in the Room: Do we get said successful HC/OC, etc from an established P5/G5 program that can leave a few days later after hiring and take over completely? The program can't start hiring assistants after the coaches convention. His wife can pack the house... Also, I'd like a review of all support positions...strength, medical and trainer staffs, nutrition, etc...time for new blood in some of these positions. Baby Doll stays though... If a new coach is coming...time to look at giving Gregory the DB/WR or ST's gig.

Why Gregory? Maybe he'll become a great coach but this is his very first year in any type of coaching capacity.

He hasn't been at Rice for two years.

That's what I get for googling his name (I knew he was at Rice)...thanks for setting me straight. I had free tix to Rice @ UTSA and watch about 2/3rds of the game in person last night.

Last edited:
Why Gregory? Maybe he'll become a great coach but this is his very first year in any type of coaching capacity.
Ties to Cuse, speaks well, NFL pedigree, From NYC
If we spend some bucks for HC/OC/DC we need a few young coaches to balance the books.

Side note: we need to a hire someone with proven HC experience.
Even sider note: No we don't and I hope that's not a requirement.

If it is a requirement I really really hope it doesn't come down to hiring some bum retread defensive meathead coach who punts from the opponent 40 and attempts field goals from the 1. "But he has head coach experience! And northeast ties! Shafer was a horrible recruiter and the cupboard was bare! Talent talent rabble rabble" Here we go again...

Hire the best offensive college football mind you can possibly land (cough Air Raid expertise cough) regardless of HC experience.

That's what I get for googling his name (I knew he was at Rice)...thanks for setting me straight. I had free tix to Rice @ UTSA and watch about 2/3rds of the game in person.

Yeah, Penn won the Ivy league last night. After a bit of a slow start they scored 45, 42, 34, 48, 26, 35, 34 to end the year.

And for being a run oriented guy under Mangino and then at Rice they are 38th in passing offense and 5th in efficiency.

Secondary is a great entry position. Oh that's right Rob Moore is a bust of a coach.

GoSU96 said:
Secondary is a great entry position. Oh that's right Rob Moore is a bust of a coach.

Secondary is a great entry position? I would think not especially with our problems. And hasn't everyone complained about the relative inexperience of the current staff?

And SU wasn't the first place Moore taught WRs. He coached HS, then JC and also for years ran his own WR camps/clinics or whatever he called them.

I agree but at least he played the position. If Adam can be OL i guess Steve could have a shot at DB but it will never happen. I dont think that anyone will survive including Hicks

Secondary is a great entry position? I would think not especially with our problems. And hasn't everyone complained about the relative inexperience of the current staff?

And SU wasn't the first place Moore taught WRs. He coached HS, then JC and also for years ran his own WR camps/clinics or whatever he called them.

Two years of HS and then six years later one year of JC, wow, yep that's a ton more experience.

OL and DB are an entirely different animal.

Gregory isn't some slub...the guy has a solid background as a player and learning from NFL coaches.

orangenirvana said:
Even sider note: No we don't and I hope that's not a requirement. If it is a requirement I really really hope it doesn't come down to hiring some bum retread defensive meathead coach who punts from the opponent 40 and attempts field goals from the 1. "But he has head coach experience! And northeast ties! Shafer was a horrible recruiter and the cupboard was bare! Talent talent rabble rabble" Here we go again... Hire the best offensive college football mind you can possibly land (cough Air Raid expertise cough) regardless of HC experience.

Concur. People are letting recent past dictate a little too much.

Coyle has interviewed Frost before and if he's on the list again - I'd bet that means Harsin was too much of a perfect fit to pass up (players, boosters, etc.) - but that he thinks he's ready.

Throw in that the Maryland AD (and prominent booster) have him on their list?

I'd bet he's ready.

GoSU96 said:
Two years of HS and then six years later one year of JC, wow, yep that's a ton more experience. OL and DB are an entirely different animal.

You left out the majority of his experience. That being the skills camps he ran. Only point was he taught the position for years. Steve hasn't. And I'm not sure of your comparison of OL to DB. DB IMO is one of the most critical positions on a team.

TexanMark said:
Gregory isn't some slub...the guy has a solid background as a player and learning from NFL coaches.

That's not the point. I didn't say he was a slub. I love the kid. But he's never coached. He could be great but I'm not sure he'd be at the top of my list or near it. Just because he played here shouldn't mean a whole lot. People are picking and choosing when they use words like experience.

I might be able to see him as a ST coach, he's worked there this year. But I'm more concerned about the DB posts. We have a very young DB which struggled this year. We need a great hire there.

I know people like to make a lot of suggestions of how the puzzle pieces could work. Which is fine for board conversation. But the new HC has to be free to pick his entire staff. As AD, you could provide suggestions of which existing people he should talk to, but needs to be his call.

Of course, if he says I've got this great band I used to play with in western Michigan, well, as AD you say thanks for coming in, point him north, and say airport is about 10 miles that way.

Arguing about who to retain from this staff is ridiculous. As is pontificating about filling a staff before a new HC is hired.

Right. I mean, has anybody had ANY reports about how he is viewed as a coach? Not every alumni ex-player is a good coach. Is he good? I have no idea. And I'm not sure anyone else does either. At least on this board.

Right. I mean, has anybody had ANY reports about how he is viewed as a coach? Not every alumni ex-player is a good coach. Is he good? I have no idea. And I'm not sure anyone else does either. At least on this board.

Our special teams went from horrible to solid this year. Is that due to Gregory? No idea but the improvement was clear

Our special teams went from horrible to solid this year. Is that due to Gregory? No idea but the improvement was clear
Agreed. All I was questioning is whether Gregory had anything to do with that. Maybe he did. Just saying no one knows.