The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Chip said:
Shafer was a great DC when he got to run things his way at SU. Trying run Rich Rod's version of 3-3-5 is a career move he'd love to have back. I just don't think he's cut out for the promotion. There's nothing wrong with your ceiling being a great DC. But maybe he'll stick around and prove me wrong.

A 3-3-5 can work against some teams and even in some conferences. But the one conference it is a total fail is the B10.

A 3-3-5 can work against some teams and even in some conferences. But the one conference it is a total fail is the B10.

Sure it can. But I wouldn't get a DC who doesn't share that base philosophy to be my defensive coordinator.

The B1G let this t u r d in to get the TV dollars. Now they must deal with the reality of it.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf..._ten_rutgers_athletics.html#incart_river_home

Since the RU faithful have absolutely no intention of coughing up this much money in front of having a winning program, the answer is obvious. B1G welfare payments!

I guaranteed everyone that the B1G would never invite RU and was proven wrong. But I had no way of knowing the B1G could possibly be that stupid.

I knew that few New Jerseyans cared about RU or RU football. I knew the RU football program was bleeding money siphoning it off from academics. So I assumed that the B1G would know that too.

The B1G let this t u r d in to get the TV dollars. Now they must deal with the reality of it.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf..._ten_rutgers_athletics.html#incart_river_home

Since the RU faithful have absolutely no intention of coughing up this much money in front of having a winning program, the answer is obvious. B1G welfare payments!

I guaranteed everyone that the B1G would never invite RU and was proven wrong. But I had no way of knowing the B1G could possibly be that stupid.

I knew that few New Jerseyans cared about RU or RU football. I knew the RU football program was bleeding money siphoning it off from academics. So I assumed that the B1G would know that too.

You really shouldn't insult turds like that, they deserve better than being compared to RU

He's toast.

Not sure why people still don't see it, but to each their own as they say.

I would be good with Shaf as our DC; he's not great, but his defense causes turnovers and can really cause opposing offenses fits. Group him with an offensive HC and we could win some games. When Marrone was here, his Shafer's D kept us in many games. He always smoked WFVU.

Unfortunately, he wouldn't stick around.

Shafer's defense would be good in the Big 12. If Cubit gets the Illinois job I could see him getting the DC gig there.

Shafer's defense would be good in the Big 12. If Cubit gets the Illinois job I could see him getting the DC gig there.

Not sure the zone would work well in the shootout Big 12, but it would work in the B1G.

Shaf is a very good DC, just can't run a team and call all the shots.

I wish him the best and would like if we could somehow keep him as our DC, even though that won't happen.

Not sure the zone would work well in the shootout Big 12, but it would work in the B1G.

Shaf is a very good DC, just can't run a team and call all the shots.

I wish him the best and would like if we could somehow keep him as our DC, even though that won't happen.

His defense, when he has the players, is about keeping it in front and getting a couple of stops a game, which is what defense in the B12 has been reduced to.

Millhouse said:
i agree, i'd rather have herman or montgomery but we might not get them we all have our preferred orders, all i'm saying is that frost would be fine. so would any of the other guys of all the names bandied about, the only one i'm skeptical of is rhule. pretty much any offensive guy mentioned would be fine with me because most of them are collegey (collegish?)

Herman couldn't even beat UConn.

Next.

Sooooo...

Diaco?

We should have hired him before we quickly turned to Shafer. No I don't want Rhule or Diaco. I want offense offense offense. Try something new.

The Elephant in the Room:

Do we get said successful HC/OC, etc from an established P5/G5 program that can leave a few days later after hiring and take over completely? The program can't start hiring assistants after the coaches convention. His wife can pack the house...

Also, I'd like a review of all support positions...strength, medical and trainer staffs, nutrition, etc...time for new blood in some of these positions.

Baby Doll stays though...

If a new coach is coming...time to look at giving Gregory the DB/WR or ST's gig.

Last edited:

Do we get said successful HC/OC, etc from an established P5 program that can leave a few days later after hiring and take over completely? The program can't start hiring assistants after the coaches convention. His wife can pack the house...

Also, I'd like a review of all support positions...strength, medical and trainer staffs, nutrition, etc...time for new blood in some of these positions.

If a new coach is coming...time to look at giving Gregory the DB/WR or ST's gig.

Great post. I agree on all.

This is Coyle's business now and his reputation is now on the line. We need to get back to winning and IMO, no one is safe. Every single job within that program needs to be thoroughly vetted, graded and given a green or red light.

I understand that former players love coming back to work out with Hicks, but how do we seem to have horrendous injuries every year? It could be like that all over the country, but it seems like we are always more decimated than our peers.

We HAVE to start winning again. Consistently.

Do we get said successful HC/OC, etc from an established P5/G5 program that can leave a few days later after hiring and take over completely? The program can't start hiring assistants after the coaches convention. His wife can pack the house...

agreed completely

With the Dome Reno a near certainty...it should be easy to recruit...with the right scheme

With the Dome Reno a near certainty...it should be easy to recruit...with the right scheme

How is it a near certainty? Has anyone heard anything definitive at all.

Syracuse: Following yesterday’s loss at NC State, Syracuse has now lost 8 straight games and for the second season in a row Syracuse only has one ACC win. In three years as head coach, Shafer has seen his team’s win totals drop from 7 to 3 to 3 (with one game remaining vs Boston College). Sources tell FootballScoop that members of Shafer’s staff believe they, as a group, will not return next season.