The alliance scheduling agreement already looks dead in football | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

The alliance scheduling agreement already looks dead in football

No, I don‘t know NBC’s plans.

I know right now ND is their only college football property and they feature it with a prominence that they could never do if they sign a contract with the B1G. Especially given that the money they would pay to the B1G would dwarf any money they might still have around for ND. I believe in the event they decided to go after and wereable to land both, B1G football would be given the best slots. Every week,

If NBC kept ND football, it would be an opening act. A minor attraction. And would be paid accordingly. The big thing the NBC contract gave ND was that special featured treatment that made some think the program was different than other programs. I guarantee you ND does not want NBC to bring the B1G on board. It would be awful for their football program to be marginalized like that.
exactly if nbc added bigten rights , ND loses there coveted 230 start on most saturdays

What if NBC does go all in with B1G football? That would likely mean ND football loses their deal with them. Would any other network feature them and give that the incredible VIP treatment that NBC did?

I doubt it. If so, it would probably be something nontraditional, like Amazon or Google.

I am wondering if the B1G might inadvertently give ND football independence a final death bowl here?
The NBC announcement expressly stated that NBC's vision is to cross-market ND and the Big Ten as "the perfect 1-2 punch" if NBC gets a piece of the Big Ten.

This ND fans agrees with Alsacs. ND will get a big raise from NBC in 2025 whether it gets the Big Ten or not, especially so if it does.

The Big Ten likes a lot of Noon starts. That would work well. They could sandwich Big Ten games around the ND game for all that I would care.

I think that it would be a great move for ND. This development plus the expanded playoffs in 2026 would both cement ND's independence going forward and allow it to continue to "monitor the landscape" heading into the 2030's.

Last edited:
No, I don‘t know NBC’s plans.

I know right now ND is their only college football property and they feature it with a prominence that they could never do if they sign a contract with the B1G. Especially given that the money they would pay to the B1G would dwarf any money they might still have around for ND. I believe in the event they decided to go after and wereable to land both, B1G football would be given the best slots. Every week,

If NBC kept ND football, it would be an opening act. A minor attraction. And would be paid accordingly. The big thing the NBC contract gave ND was that special featured treatment that made some think the program was different than other programs. I guarantee you ND does not want NBC to bring the B1G on board. It would be awful for their football program to be marginalized like that.
The article outlines NBC’s plan.

As long as NBC pays Notre Dame you have no idea if they care if they pay B1G as well.
Notre Dame just want to be independent

exactly if nbc added bigten rights , ND loses there coveted 230 start on most saturdays
2:30 ND time is 3:30 eastern.
Big Ten at 12 and 8 doesn’t impact that one iota.

The NBC announcement expressly stated that NBC's vision is to cross-market ND and the Big Ten as "the perfect 1-2 punch" if NBC gets a piece of the Big Ten.

This ND fans agrees with Alsacs. ND will get a big raise from NBC in 2025 whether it gets the Big Ten or not, especially so if it does.

The Big Ten likes a lot of Noon starts. That would work well. They could sandwich Big Ten games around the ND game for all that I would care.

I think that it would be a great move for ND. This development plus the expanded playoffs in 2026 would both cement ND's independence going forward and allow it to continue to "monitor the landscape" heading into the 2030's.
Trusting the B1G. I thought you of all people would know better.

Good luck with that.

The article outlines NBC’s plan.

As long as NBC pays Notre Dame you have no idea if they care if they pay B1G as well.
Notre Dame just want to be independent

Since TerryD won't answer and purposely skirts the "independence" issue, do you believe for one second that maintaining "independence" in football is really of any true integrity/significance? If "independence" is so apparently sacred, then why are all of its other sports teams in conferences? Do you think that it's nothing more than a facade and play, etc. in order to, rather incredulously, carry on in the fashion as enabled?

Since TerryD won't answer and purposely skirts the "independence" issue, do you believe for one second that maintaining "independence" in football is really of any true integrity/significance? If "independence" is so apparently sacred, then why are all of its other sports teams in conferences? Do you think that it's nothing more than a facade and play, etc. in order to, rather incredulously, carry on in the fashion as enabled?
Notre Dame wants to have their cake and eat it as well.

They get away with it because they always pick the weakest conference with the bait on a fishing pole.

It’s just dumb. Let them join the Big East.

The 5 games for football atleast makes some sense but it should be 6.

ACC is screwed because Swofford messed up in 2010.
It helped us screwed the conference.
They needed expansion to get more money.

We screwed ESPN with this CFB expansion they won’t forget that.
ACC is on a timebomb just like one that hit the Big XII unless it starts winning a lot and changes perception for when it can negotiate.

I just want ND’s hand forced so this chit can end.

Notre Dame wants to have their cake and eat it as well.

They get away with it because they always pick the weakest conference with the bait on a fishing pole.

It’s just dumb. Let them join the Big East.

The 5 games for football atleast makes some sense but it should be 6.

ACC is screwed because Swofford messed up in 2010.
It helped us screwed the conference.
They needed expansion to get more money.

We screwed ESPN with this CFB expansion they won’t forget that.

So, if I'm interpreting that first part correctly, you believe that indeed the whole "independence" claim is nothing more than positioning, forefront, etc. to advance/enhance their self interests than the alleged sanctity they spew it's all about?

So, if I'm interpreting that first part correctly, you believe that indeed the whole "independence" claim is nothing more than positioning, etc. to advance/enhance their self interests than the alleged sanctity they spew it's all about?
Terry would admit this.
He and most ND fans just say the latter as cover. I mean they aren’t dumb you always have a position to cover the truth.

Terry would admit this.
He and most ND fans just say the latter as cover. I mean they aren’t dumb you always have a position to cover the truth.

Yeah.

As an individual of 100% Italian descent, raised under strict Roman Catholic rule, etc., I'm aware of such folk, institutions and the like, that always have a position to cover the truth.

When Gottlieb said Syracuse should join the BigEast again, it made me think he has info that the ACC is already toast.

If ND wanted to leave they would leave.
ND wants the status quo which isn’t good for the ACC.

I have outlined what the ACC should do.
If ND wanted the status quo, they would not have voted in favor of expansion to a 12-team playoff.

If ND wanted the status quo, they would not have voted in favor of expansion to a 12-team playoff.
If you don’t get what i am saying that is fine.
I really don’t need to say more.

There has really never been football played in a major conference in the northeast since the Ivy league decommished their football. That's why it has atrophied. If what I put forth happened, the rivalries would be intense and it would build up fast.
Since at least the mid-1960s, it has been impossible to build a Major conference in the northeast, unless it has a significant number of members located either south of the Mason-Dixon line or west of PA in the midwest. That is simply a fact. Fighting reality guarantees loss.

Basketball is another sport. BE basketball as a major conference was possible, almost certain if the right schools joined.

If I am the B1G I would want a 40 team conference made of pods:

Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Cal

USC, UCLA, Arizona, Utah

Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas

Nebraska, Mizzou, Iowa, Iowa State

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern

Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana

Ohio State, Penn State, Pitt, Maryland

Notre Dame, Rutgers, Syracuse, BC

Vanderbilt, UNC, Duke, UVA

FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson

You get to play everyone home and away every 9 seasons with a 12 game conference schedule. Yearly you get your 3 pod rivals and 1 cross over rival. Add in a 13th game at home vs G5 schools to get to 7 home games. The schools with SEC rivals can still play that as #13.

This would give the B1G 32 of the 34 P5 AAU schools, 2 former AAU schools, 3 high academic private schools, a good public school, plus Oklahoma and FSU.

The P12 schools need money so I think they would jump even if it leaves Arizona State, Washington State, and Oregon State behind.

The ACC schools need money so they would leave Louisville, NC State, Wake, Virginia Tech behind. Although the SEC would grab NC State and Virginia Tech for sure. Maybe Louisville as well. Wake would be looking at the B12 or AAC.

The B12 schools need money so Baylor, TCU, Houston, Texas Tech, Okie State, K State, BYU, UCF, West Virginia, Cincinnati are left. The SEC might consider some of these to fill out.

From the SEC I don't think Mizzou, Oklahoma, or Texas have any loyalty to the SEC. Vanderbilt is an outlier in the SEC being a private school and caring about academics. The B1G fits more.

The SEC would be down to 12 but would get to 14 easily with NC State and VA Tech. They would add 2 or 6 teams from the B12/Louisville to get to either 16 or 20.

I didn't answer because I thought it was not a real question but an snark attempt to just bash ND.

ND's other sports are not ND football and do not have the history of overcoming the Michigan/Big Ten attempt to boycott/quash the program, having to barnstorm across the country and acquiring fans all over the USA.

ND people care a whole hell of a lot less for the other sports than for football. Basketball at ND comes in a very distant second place, miles behind ND football.

Basketball to some ND fans is just something between the end of football season and beginning of football season.

Lots (not all, but some) of non-alumni ND football fans are fans of Indiana, Purdue, BC, etc. basketball, historically. Irritated Hoosier and Boilermaker fans call such local ND football only fans as "reversible jacket" fans.

ND basketball was an independent from the 1896 until 1995, when it was no longer feasible and was no longer in ND's best interests for basketball to remain an independent.

I miss those days. My favorite days of ND basketball were the 1970's when it was independent and played national games on NBC (Dick Enberg, Al McGuire and Billy Packer) against UCLA, Marquette, DePaul, Kentucky and Louisville, among others.

More is the pity basketball is no longer independent. I wish it were so.

In conclusion, football matters much more. It has the clout. Basketball doesn't.

Football has different history and has built up fans all over the country.

Apples and oranges.

ND believes that an independent football platform is the best vehicle to recruit athletes and the general student body and the best way to promote the program and the school nationally.

Football generates lots of money.

Football is independent because it can.

If you don’t get what i am saying that is fine.
I really don’t need to say more.
ND is fine with the status quo.

It just thinks that more at large bids are better for its playoff changes. Enhancing its playoff chances with more at large bids helps solidify its continued independence.

A person make be fine with two cars, but having five may be better.

If the playoffs go to 12 or 8, great. If it stay at 4, that is okay too (its been 4 for eight years and ND was okay with it)

Either way, it wants to stay a football independent.

What ND doesn't want to support is locking up too many automatic conference champ bids at the expense of less at large ones.

Last edited:
So, if I'm interpreting that first part correctly, you believe that indeed the whole "independence" claim is nothing more than positioning, forefront, etc. to advance/enhance their self interests than the alleged sanctity they spew it's all about?
What "sanctity"?

Conference realignment is nothing but a gigantic money grab by, well, everyone.

Staying independent makes business sense to ND. I have said that often.

Its in ND's best interests, it believes, to remain that way.

Football independence is ND's brand and the "front porch" to enhance that brand, publicize the school, recruit players, recruit general students and prosper overall.

Amen and Amen. Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto.

You guys want ND to throw away that brand so that Syracuse and other ACC schools can get a pay raise due to ND joining.

That is no strong morality play by the ACC, just business.

(The bad ACC payout is not ND's doing, but is wholly self inflicted by the ACC.)

ND doesn't want to so here we are.

Last edited:
2:30 ND time is 3:30 eastern.
Big Ten at 12 and 8 doesn’t impact that one iota.

ND game times are 230 EST but good try. Bigten also is anti night games in November

ND game times are 230 EST but good try. Bigten also is anti night games in November
Good try?
Good god, do you think ND fans give a flying chit if their games start at 2:30 or 3:30?

Wow they have to move their starting time back an hour.

I am sorry I got the starting time wrong for Notre Dame football games.

It won’t matrer to them.
NBC if they get Big Ten rights is good for Notre Dame.

ND will get paid as NBC will be investing in the sport.

Ask Terry if this matter to Notre Dame.

Big Ten can be against night games in November.

That is the last month of the season.
NBC can do double headers or something else during weeks ND is on the road.