The alliance scheduling agreement already looks dead in football | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

The alliance scheduling agreement already looks dead in football

Good try?
Good god, do you think ND fans give a flying chit if their games start at 2:30 or 3:30?

Wow they have to move their starting time back an hour.

I am sorry I got the starting time wrong for Notre Dame football games.

It won’t matrer to them.
NBC if they get Big Ten rights is good for Notre Dame.

ND will get paid as NBC will be investing in the sport.
How about I let you assume the worst as obviously you know more than everybody about the future as I must of missed your parking the DeLorean

Ask Terry if this matter to Notre Dame.

Big Ten can be against night games in November.

That is the last month of the season.
NBC can do double headers or something else during weeks ND is on the road.
230 is tradition so I'm gonna think it's more important than you think as is having there own network just for them

230 is tradition so I'm gonna think it's more important than you think as is having there own network just for them
They play games at 3:30 as well.
They played Navy at home last year at 3:30.

It’s not a tradition. 2005 USC game at Nd was at 3:30.
They switch between both times just going thru their schedules.

How about I let you assume the worst as obviously you know more than everybody about the future as I must of missed your parking the DeLorean
I am not assuming the worst.
I am actually paying attention and not pretending the preferred outcome is what we will happen.

I understand realignment a lot better than you do.
Go ahead and be optimistic. I am going to be understand the situations a lot more realistically.

I am not assuming the worst.
I am actually paying attention and not pretending the preferred outcome is what we will happen.

I understand realignment a lot better than you do.
Go ahead and be optimistic. I am going to be understand the situations a lot more realistically.
You think you do and I guess that's all that matters. Since nothing s going to happen anytime soon

You think you do and I guess that's all that matters. Since nothing s going to happen anytime soon
I think i do because I know more than you on this stuff.

I wouldn’t normally just come outright and say that but you want to come at me I will be direct.

I understand realignment better than you. You want to be optimistic that is fine. I prefer realism.

The ACC is a timebomb. I hope I am wrong but looking at what has transpired it is.

The decision to align with the Big Ten did nothing to help the conference.
It was just stupid in retrospect. ESPN destroyed the old Big East, they gutted the Big XII. The ACC betrayed ESPN. Whether you get it or not.

The scheduling agreement going away because the Big Ten is going to get insane dollars is just their first step.

I wouldn’t normally just come outright and say that but you want to come at me I will be direct.

I understand realignment better than you. You want to be optimistic that is fine. I prefer realism.

The ACC is a timebomb. I hope I am wrong but looking at what has transpired it is.

It was just stupid in retrospect. ESPN destroyed the old Big East, they gutted the Big XII. The ACC betrayed ESPN. Whether you get it or not.

The scheduling agreement going away because the Big Ten is going to get insane dollars is just their first step.
Unless your in an ad office you have no way to know everything you say you know and the scheduling agreement was always a pipe dream in football

The ACC will exist for as long as UNC wants it to exist. If FSU and Clemson leave then it might speed that decision up, but who is taking FSU and Clemson? The SEC could but then it drives Miami, GA Tech, UNC, Duke, UVA, Pitt, SU, BC, and ND to the B1G. Also do they really want to go that many? The B1G could but then they risk waiting for UNC while having 2 extreme outliers who are not academic fits. Also is it worth it to go that large of a conference? Conferences might decide to cap at 16. Which would make the ACC safe.

Wake and maybe Louisville are the only schools that have to worry. The rest will find homes.

2:30 ND time is 3:30 eastern.
Big Ten at 12 and 8 doesn’t impact that one iota.
ND is in the Eastern time zone, not the Central.

All of this goes by the wayside when (not "if") play for pay comes in and college football redivides into who will pay and who won't. It is very difficult for me to imagine schools who won't pay as being agreeable to playing schools who do. The schools that do pay will want the stipulation that the players don't have to go to class, and that will be something that a lot of schools simply can't and won't abide. Conferences will vote to dissolve so GORs will be ended. Trying to come up with any sort of conference realignment that includes all the present college football teams is a waste of your time because a bunch are going to leave the NCAA and the remnant will have an existence one step up from the FCS (D-1AA).

If the B1G wants the playoffs expanded, they're a lot stupider than anyone thought. They are getting 1 team in the playoff, period. The odds are very much against an undefeated Ohio State playing an undefeated Michigan in the regular season, leaving one of them to get shafted by the 4-team playoff. Expanding the playoffs purely and simply means more SEC teams get in. They want a minimum of 2, preferably 3 or 4, of their teams in it every year.

I just want ND to join the ACC in football so we can finally have a true rival that I loathe, very easy to dislike them. They’re like the Red Sox of CFB for me. When I say rival, I don’t mean a team that we are evenly matched with, I’m talking that one game a year that we can circle on the calendar. Can’t stand them.

I just want ND to join the ACC in football so we can finally have a true rival that I loathe, very easy to dislike them. They’re like the Red Sox of CFB for me. When I say rival, I don’t mean a team that we are evenly matched with, I’m talking that one game a year that we can circle on the calendar. Can’t stand them.
I want what is best for Syracuse but I would rather Notre Dame be stuck in the Big Ten.

They deserve it.
It may hurt Syracuse but its justice.

The ACC will exist for as long as UNC wants it to exist. If FSU and Clemson leave then it might speed that decision up, but who is taking FSU and Clemson? The SEC could but then it drives Miami, GA Tech, UNC, Duke, UVA, Pitt, SU, BC, and ND to the B1G. Also do they really want to go that many? The B1G could but then they risk waiting for UNC while having 2 extreme outliers who are not academic fits. Also is it worth it to go that large of a conference? Conferences might decide to cap at 16. Which would make the ACC safe.

Wake and maybe Louisville are the only schools that have to worry. The rest will find homes.
You see Alsacs as far too pessimistic, and he sees you as naively optimistic. I lean to the pessimistic side.

I know BT history, and BT history screams that the BT will do anything it takes to remain the richest and to be seen by many as the best, in football especially. The BT tried to boycott ND to keep the nasty catholic school from gaining from such august company. The BT bribed the Pac to close the Rose Bowl to end competition so the BT could claim being super unique and therefore better than everybody not able to get to the Rose. The BT even acted to destroy MAC radio networks before TV became King to have monopoly over the midwest in electric media. The BT added PSU from the northeast only because the old TV deal for CFB gave the BT the entire northeast, to the great detriment to teams in the northeast.

BT football is far behind SEC football. Football became Modern only around 1970, when everybody was integrated. Since then, how many football National Championships have BT teams won? In that same time, how many football ACC National Championships (7 - 1 by GT, 3 by Clemson, 3 by FSU)? You don't even have to use the SEC to show how far back BT football is - the ACC makes the case very well. And the BT hates that as much as it hates the SEC having largely caught up in money.

So it is extremely naive to assume that the BT is not planning some way to secure its money that also raises its odds of getting better at football across the board and especially among its top 2 or 3. And that now that can be done only by expansion well beyond 16 members. Even if the BT had been able to add OU and Texas, it still would have lagged behind the SEC in football quality.

The BT has only 2 avenues to take. One is to get deeply into the South by taking at least 6 ACC teams. The other is to add ND and probably at least 7 Pac schools: SC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington are musts in that scenario, while UAZ, AZ St, and Colorado are viable options. So by absorbing most of the Pac, the BT could reach 24 members and 'own' all that CA talent.

Geographically, the best move for the BT would be able to take 9 ACC schools located in the South and also ND, for a 24 team league all in Eastern Time. That league would absolutely own CBB and be the full equal of SEC football very quickly and be able to keep pace with SEC baseball, as well as dominate thee nation in non-water non-revenue sports.

Yes, the BT would expand to 24 to get all that.

Yes, the SEC would add 8 ACC schools to go to 24 and stop the BT from getting planted in the South.

ACC football has only 2 schools with truly large fan bases: FSU and Clemson. If the ACC loses those two, the value of ACC football plummets. Both SEC and BT know that. So do ESPN, Fox, CBS, and NBC.

ND is in the Eastern time zone, not the Central.

All of this goes by the wayside when (not "if") play for pay comes in and college football redivides into who will pay and who won't. It is very difficult for me to imagine schools who won't pay as being agreeable to playing schools who do. The schools that do pay will want the stipulation that the players don't have to go to class, and that will be something that a lot of schools simply can't and won't abide. Conferences will vote to dissolve so GORs will be ended. Trying to come up with any sort of conference realignment that includes all the present college football teams is a waste of your time because a bunch are going to leave the NCAA and the remnant will have an existence one step up from the FCS (D-1AA).

If the B1G wants the playoffs expanded, they're a lot stupider than anyone thought. They are getting 1 team in the playoff, period. The odds are very much against an undefeated Ohio State playing an undefeated Michigan in the regular season, leaving one of them to get shafted by the 4-team playoff. Expanding the playoffs purely and simply means more SEC teams get in. They want a minimum of 2, preferably 3 or 4, of their teams in it every year.

The B1G is the biggest winner with an expanded playoffs. They go from 1 bubble team to having 3 locks. The SEC goes from 1 lock and 1 bubble to 3 locks and one bubble. It will close the gap for the B1G.

You see Alsacs as far too pessimistic, and he sees you as naively optimistic. I lean to the pessimistic side.

I know BT history, and BT history screams that the BT will do anything it takes to remain the richest and to be seen by many as the best, in football especially. The BT tried to boycott ND to keep the nasty catholic school from gaining from such august company. The BT bribed the Pac to close the Rose Bowl to end competition so the BT could claim being super unique and therefore better than everybody not able to get to the Rose. The BT even acted to destroy MAC radio networks before TV became King to have monopoly over the midwest in electric media. The BT added PSU from the northeast only because the old TV deal for CFB gave the BT the entire northeast, to the great detriment to teams in the northeast.

BT football is far behind SEC football. Football became Modern only around 1970, when everybody was integrated. Since then, how many football National Championships have BT teams won? In that same time, how many football ACC National Championships (7 - 1 by GT, 3 by Clemson, 3 by FSU)? You don't even have to use the SEC to show how far back BT football is - the ACC makes the case very well. And the BT hates that as much as it hates the SEC having largely caught up in money.

So it is extremely naive to assume that the BT is not planning some way to secure its money that also raises its odds of getting better at football across the board and especially among its top 2 or 3. And that now that can be done only by expansion well beyond 16 members. Even if the BT had been able to add OU and Texas, it still would have lagged behind the SEC in football quality.

The BT has only 2 avenues to take. One is to get deeply into the South by taking at least 6 ACC teams. The other is to add ND and probably at least 7 Pac schools: SC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington are musts in that scenario, while UAZ, AZ St, and Colorado are viable options. So by absorbing most of the Pac, the BT could reach 24 members and 'own' all that CA talent.

Geographically, the best move for the BT would be able to take 9 ACC schools located in the South and also ND, for a 24 team league all in Eastern Time. That league would absolutely own CBB and be the full equal of SEC football very quickly and be able to keep pace with SEC baseball, as well as dominate thee nation in non-water non-revenue sports.

Yes, the SEC would add 8 ACC schools to go to 24 and stop the BT from getting planted in the South.

ACC football has only 2 schools with truly large fan bases: FSU and Clemson. If the ACC loses those two, the value of ACC football plummets. Both SEC and BT know that. So do ESPN, Fox, CBS, and NBC.
I see things for what they are.
I don’t overvalue my school or suggest stuff isn’t researched.

The ACC was dumb and got played by the Big Ten.

Being against expansion currently made sense for the Big Ten the ACC had no reaaon other than this alliance they are getting nothing from.

ACC better make good with ESPN or they could sick the SEC on them.

The B1G is the biggest winner with an expanded playoffs. They go from 1 bubble team to having 3 locks. The SEC goes from 1 lock and 1 bubble to 3 locks and one bubble. It will close the gap for the B1G.
Depends on if they are caps on conference bids.

The SEC will be locked into atleast 2 teams every year.

The Big Ten has a good chance as well to get the most teams but the SEC with Oklahoma now has Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma basically almost pencilled in most years.

I don’t trust any other Big Ten team to consistently be in the playoffs every year except Ohio State.

Losses to elite teams don’t matter to the committee. It’s who you beat. A 9-3 SEC record is better than an 11-1 ACC or Pac 12 record.

The ACC screwed up. Plus Notre Dame will take one of the bids as well some years.

I don't see the B1G having 3 locks.

That is a whole lot of words to say nothing. The biggest expansion thus far has been 2 teams and you think a 9 team expansion is imminent?

The B1G has plenty of money, stop claiming they are poor. And if you know their history then why did they not have 12 teams and conference championship $ for years? The facts contradict your "knowledge."

Alsacs isn't being pessimistic but irrational. These expansion decisions are based on reason. He is throwing absolutes with no reasonable evidence of what he says will happen. The ACC might not exist in a dozen years, but that is because everyone has found a home. So the ACC might be in peril but most of the teams are not in peril. So why is the sky falling?

The SEC would never take 8 ACC schools.

Depends on if they are caps on conference bids.

The SEC will be locked into atleast 2 teams every year.

The Big Ten has a good chance as well to get the most teams but the SEC with Oklahoma now has Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma basically almost pencilled in most years.

I don’t trust any other Big Ten team to consistently be in the playoffs every year except Ohio State.

Losses to elite teams don’t matter to the committee. It’s who you beat. A 9-3 SEC record is better than an 11-1 ACC or Pac 12 record.

The ACC screwed up. Plus Notre Dame will take one of the bids as well some years.

Look at the playoff ranking the last 7 non Covid years. They contradict your theory. The B1G schools aren't going to all of a sudden be outside of the Top 10. The current SEC has cannibalized itself in the playoff rankings. It will get worse with Oklahoma.

3 Locks? Ohio State and ___ and ___. No one knows at this point whether Michigan has turned the corner or last year was a one-off. Let's say they have turned the corner and give them the second slot. Who's the third? Penn State is on the verge of firing Franklin. Wisconsin? Iowa? Michigan State?

Of course the SEC wants an expansion for the very reason you mention. If the B1G ADs have at least half a functioning brain they'll fight expansion because getting one more team in isn't worth what they're giving up to the SEC.

3 Locks? Ohio State and ___ and ___. No one knows at this point whether Michigan has turned the corner or last year was a one-off. Let's say they have turned the corner and give them the second slot. Who's the third? Penn State is on the verge of firing Franklin. Wisconsin? Iowa? Michigan State?

Of course the SEC wants an expansion for the very reason you mention. If the B1G ADs have at least half a functioning brain they'll fight expansion because getting one more team in isn't worth what they're giving up to the SEC.
The Big 10 will look to restrict the amount of bids a conference can get and since they have the ACC and Pac-12 in their back pocket what can the SEC do?

I look at things from a macro level.

The ACC needs to pull out the alliance ASAP.

The B1G East has 2-3 Top 10 teams every year. The B1G West will have 0-1. They will get 3 teams. It won't always be the same 3 teams but 3 of Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa will be in the Top 10 in a given year.

Based on history the B1G will go from 0-1 team to 3-4 teams. The SEC will go from 1-2 teams to 3-4 teams.

Last edited:
The B1G East has 2-3 Top 10 teams every year. The B1G West will have 1-2. They will get 3 teams. It won't always be the same 3 teams but 3 of Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa will be in the Top 10 in a given year.

Based on history the B1G will go from 0-1 team to 3-4 teams. The SEC will go from 1-2 teams to 3-4 teams.
The B1G has the winner of the Wisconsin-Iowa game to serve as the sacrificial victim of the East team. Iowa didn't even get the consolation prize Rose Bowl bid this year. As I said, we don't know whether Michigan's season this year was a one-off or the shape of things to come and Penn State is on the verge of chaos. It is really unlikely that the top 3 teams in the East are going to finish 12-0, 11-1, and 10-2. If there isn't a 2-teams-per-conference limit the B1G has no incentive to expand the playoff.

The B1G has the winner of the Wisconsin-Iowa game to serve as the sacrificial victim of the East team. Iowa didn't even get the consolation prize Rose Bowl bid this year. As I said, we don't know whether Michigan's season this year was a one-off or the shape of things to come and Penn State is on the verge of chaos. It is really unlikely that the top 3 teams in the East are going to finish 12-0, 11-1, and 10-2. If there isn't a 2-teams-per-conference limit the B1G has no incentive to expand the playoff.

You are going 110% on opinion. The polls (facts) disagree with you.

Edit

5 of the 7 non Covid college football playoffs the B1G East has had 2 Top 10 teams. Those other two seasons they had THREE Top 10 teams. Why would we expect that to change? And this is just the East, which leaves out the West. The 7 non Covid seasons the B1G would have had more bids than the SEC.

Last edited: