The honest truth, the lack of recruiting... | Syracusefan.com

The honest truth, the lack of recruiting...

CU44SE

All Conference
Went back and looked up some of our past several recruits. Anyone dare to guess without looking who our 3 highest rated recruits over the last 4 years are and a rough estimate of where they ranked? So the top 3 recruits from 2017-2020. I will leave you with this before giving you the answer later, it’s the worst 4 year recruiting period on record for Syracuse university.

Last edited:
Replies will be littered with “sanctions” and “Benny” (admittedly, I’m pretty excited to see him in orange).

who do we have coming in for ‘22?
how about Bazley? And not many have commits for 2022. It is kind of tough to get recruits in to see the campus.

And yet losing kadray and woody would be a disaster. These recruits that weren't rated all that high. While you guys are at it, go back and look at the ratings for our 2010 team. Wes Johnson, Andy Rautins, Arinze, Jackson and Triche.

And yet losing kadray and woody would be a disaster. These recruits that weren't rated all that high. While you guys are at it, go back and look at the ratings for our 2010 team. Wes Johnson, Andy Rautins, Arinze, Jackson and Triche.

I wonder what DeJon Jarreau’s crootin rankings were ?

Such that he went to UMass, then transferred to Houston, where he then proceeded to not only completely shut down our leading scorer, he almost had a triple-double while doing so.
All with a hip pointer.

Had 9,8 & 8, with a single TO, and a block and a steal too.

I think this is a little misleading on the 2010 team. Kris Joseph, Rick Jackson, and Scoop Jardine were all top 60 recruits. Wes Johnson was, as I recall, the top-rated transfer in the country that year. That was a much more talented team than this year's. (And Rautins and Arinze of course were fifth-year seniors.)

More generally, I tend to agree with your position that Kadary is not a make-or-break player for the program, but I also think it's abundantly clear that the talent level is down, and that's the real limiting factor here. Do you think the recruiting is where it was in 2008-2014?

Went back and looked up some of our past several recruits. Anyone dare to guess without looking who our 3 highest rated recruits over the last 4 years are and a rough estimate of where they ranked? So the top 3 recruits from 2017-2020. I will leave you with this before giving you the answer later, it’s the worst 4 year recruiting period on record for Syracuse university.
And yet we were in the Sweet 16, and a bad match-up away from the Elite 8. Quit cryin'. Do you know how many teams would love to have been in the Sweet 16? Kansas, UK, UNC, Duke and a whole bunch of others. How did those high ranked recruits do for them?

And yet we were in the Sweet 16, and a bad match-up away from the Elite 8. Quit cryin'. Do you know how many teams would love to have been in the Sweet 16? Kansas, UK, UNC, Duke and a whole bunch of others. How did those high ranked recruits do for them?
ya, bad matchup. Or how about just a really good team. Don’t let the fact we were an 11 seed get in the way. Or the fact we are averaging 13 loses a year the past 4 years. Don’t let the last 2 weeks get in the way of the incompetence the first part of the year. Or the terrible lineups we played all year.

Does 2 wins in March really make the rest of the year not matter? You can be content with poor results and 2 wins in the tournament. I won’t be content with that. Especially since we are capable of so much more.

I think with the transfer portal being the way it is that recruiting may end up being less important than ever.
Also our zone will be an annual impediment to early-to-mid season success, as Boeheim refuses to play talented players because they haven't learned it yet.

I think with the transfer portal being the way it is that recruiting may end up being less important than ever.

It's interesting. I remember when Hoiberg was coaching at Iowa State, he specialized in transfers. I always thought that wasn't sustainable. He might have been ahead of his time now that I think about it now.

Well, I kinda want to know the answer to OPs question. So I will take an uneducated stab at it.
Highest rated recruit was Carey at 34.
Q comes in next at 80, and then Goodine, at say 91

How did I do?

Well, I kinda want to know the answer to OPs question. So I will take an uneducated stab at it.

How did I do?
I don't think q was rated because he played in Canada.

How did I do?

ESPN only ranks top 100
2017- 0
2018- Carey 38
2019- Goodine 77
2020- kadary 91

ESPN team rankings
2017- not in top 40, only shows top 40
2018- not in top 40, only shows top 40
2019- not in top 25, only shows top 25
2020- not in top 25, only shows top 25

247/scout

2017-Marek 111, Brisset 137, Sid 190, HW 289
2018- Carey 61, Braswell 151, buddy 349
2019- Goodine 97, QG 121, Edwards 198, Girard 203, JBA 480
2020- Richmond 88, Newton 144, Frank 198

team rankings
2017- 38 (7 ACC)
2018- 43 (7 ACC)
2019- 33 (7 ACC)
2020- 40 (9 ACC)

*ivals

2017- 0 of our players have a ntl rank
2018-Carey 53
2019- Goodine 92
2020- Richmond 85, Newton 126

team rankings
2017- no team rankings show
2018- 40
2019- 43
2020- 51

Last edited:
And we've basically had top-40ish regular seasons. Frequently on the bubble. The late season magic a couple times has been a saving grace.

Does 2 wins in March really make the rest of the year not matter? You can be content with poor results and 2 wins in the tournament. I won’t be content with that. Especially since we are capable of so much more.
Yes. Regular season wins are only valuable based on how they position you entering the tournament.

Yes. Regular season wins are only valuable based on how they position you entering the tournament.

On the other hand, when evaluating the quality of a team you really need to look at the body of work. And the quality of the team has a lot to do with how many wins they might be expected to get in a tournament.

The tricky thing is that the sample sizes are small in sports. If we play out this exact tournament 100 times, how many wins do we average? Maybe 1.6 is my guess.

I want our teams to go into tournaments with a higher statistical expectation because if we keep doing that over a decade we'll have more Elite 8s and Final Fours and chances at a title. In order to go into tournaments with higher expectations, we need better teams who had better seasons and better seeds.

That goes back to the recruiting/talent. Consistently on the bubble and making a S16 run every couple years because of the zone is and should be a down cycle for Cuse basketball.

We've been very lucky in this down cycle to get a Final Four based on a team coming together at the right time and getting a little lucky. We can't count on that long-term.

On the other hand, when evaluating the quality of a team you really need to look at the body of work. And the quality of the team has a lot to do with how many wins they might be expected to get in a tournament.

The tricky thing is that the sample sizes are small in sports. If we play out this exact tournament 100 times, how many wins do we average? Maybe 1.6 is my guess.

I want our teams to go into tournaments with a higher statistical expectation because if we keep doing that over a decade we'll have more Elite 8s and Final Fours and chances at a title. In order to go into tournaments with higher expectations, we need better teams who had better seasons and better seeds.

That goes back to the recruiting/talent. Consistently on the bubble and making a S16 run every couple years because of the zone is and should be a down cycle for Cuse basketball.

We've been very lucky in this down cycle to get a Final Four based on a team coming together at the right time and getting a little lucky. We can't count on that long-term.
Oh, we’re already back to calling it luck again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom