The latest all encompassing recruiting thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The latest all encompassing recruiting thread

The scary thing is if Williams doesn't get hurt for most of the year allowing him to redshirt, we're in even worse shape next year. Him getting hurt wasn't the original plan for our DT rotation. I'd be happy w/ a Deon Goggins-like add from JC

As an aside, I'm not sure we get past WMU this year if they didn't lose their 2 best offensive players, 1 in the very beginning of the game. Combined w/ the Wake game, we could have easily been 3-9.

Last edited:
Defensive tackle was a weakness this year. I suspect next year won’t be much better unless we get some immediate help

The scary thing is if Williams doesn't get hurt for most of the year allowing him to redshirt, we're in even worse shape next year. Him getting hurt wasn't the original plan for our DT rotation. I'd be happy w/ a Deon Goggins-like add from JC

As an aside, I'm not sure we get past WMU this year if they didn't lose their 2 best offensive players, 1 in the very beginning of the game. Combined w/ the Wake game, we could have easily been 3-9.
If Williams plays i think we may be going bowling which would perhaps convince "better" DL prospects to come here

If Williams plays i think we may be going bowling which would perhaps convince "better" DL prospects to come here
The moral of this story is you can’t have one injury to your D & O line destroy your season like we just witnessed. Could you imagine if we had another injury on either line. We are playing in a watered down ACC for the second year in a row. Missing a bowl game this year is in excusable. In my opinion Dino just burnt his get out of jail free card.

Last edited:
The moral of this story is you can’t have one injury to your D & O line destroy your season like we just witnessed. Could you imagine if we had another injury on at either line. We are playing in a watered down ACC for the second year in a row. Missing a bowl game this year is in excusable. In my opinion Dino just burnt his get out of jail free card.
Correct, Dino preaches depth and that’s a prime example. Can not have one injury derail a season. Next year is put up time

SU has very good prospects on the DL and I believe their highest rated recruit was a DE. I think the DE position is solid and has loads of potential but the DT needs help no doubt. The waiver wire might give SU it's depth guy(s) there or perhaps a kid that has struggled academically but will get his grades in order for Feb. Give Dino/staff time and let's see what they come up with by spring ball.

The moral of this story is you can’t have one injury to your D & O line destroy your season like we just witnessed. Could you imagine if we had another injury on either line. We are playing in a watered down ACC for the second year in a row. Missing a bowl game this year is in excusable. In my opinion Dino just burnt his get out of jail free card.

I prefer to call it a lesson learned the hard way! Good points gm44.

Great post

Spot on!!!! I like Goggins also. But I think at this point HCDB should go all in on DT and add one more O-lineman from a P5 school. Of course we could get Malcolm Lamar FLST, Sherrill from NC and Thompson from OK and have a ACC type rotation at DT in 2021... throw in Justin Shorter who would be the highest rated recruit to Syracuse in the Internet era but thats not happening. Here is a reasonable look at what i would love for our 6 remaining spots from this recruiting staff.
1. JC DT Goggins
2. transfer DT Michael Thompson from OK. Move him back to DT 2021eligible
3. Juco OT Reed who I love BUT hearing rumblings a couple high high majors are now in contact. Lets hope just around the edges and they arent all in. But if somehow we lose him. How about Transfer DT Bo Peek from Stanford who we recruited in high school. We should take advantage of the crap at Stanford right now. (Maybe steal Pogorelc if Michigan or UVA hasnt smh)
4. Transfer qb Anthony Brown BC eligible immediately who we recruited in high school- if his knee is going to be ready for Spring game
5. 2020 OT Devery Hamilton from Stanford eligible immediately who we looked at in high school at Gilman and decided he was too high a prospect, bring him back to East coast He would battle for the starting spot but atleast add quality depth. Injuries happen ITS FOOTBALL. Our depth cant consists of players who never played football, never played P5 college football or are in a new position after gaining weight for a year. We need depth like a real P5 school
6. 2020 High School DT Marcus Eason- My "hidden gem" since HCDB likes taking flyers on 2 star or lower rated kids, his diamond in the rough type players. How about a non rated (0 stars) recruit at DT. Of course those in recruiting circles know Mr Eason as he has been a standout at "The Opening" and camps and is only non rated because of a in season move from Michigan to Cali and minor ankle sprain cost him. This is very fortunate for us and he could slide our way just like Trill did with his injury and Alabama and high majors forgetting about him while we stayed on him. We should be all over this kid. Here is the funny thing. From a offer perspective he would be the most accomplished DT HCDB has ever landed at any of his jobs. Last year he was projected as a high 4 star before ankle sprain and move. Offers from 7 P5 schools (GT, Iowa ST, Syracuse, Rutgers, Miss st, Ole Miss, TX TC) but my Penn St guy said they and Mich St are getting back engaged soon. He should be our #1 high school prospect right now. Kid might start for us as true freshman on O-line or D-line but would be a solid 3 year starter in the least. Having 3 year starters at the ACC level allows you to build depth behind them. This is what we need to start doing. All the speculation on what players will play where after a 4 or 5 win season is ridiculous

We all dream of hitting the transfer portal lottery but its not likely specifically given our coaching staffs preference. But its not far fetched that we could get this 6 kids. They would be nice pieces to bridge to that 2021 year where it seems might be make or break for HCDB. I would really be happy with our overall class if we added this 6 players. Would be curious as to what some of you think/wish our remaining recruits will be to fill out this class. Please post

IMO, what we need is to bring onboard a recruiter that is known for developing DT's. It also may be that in previous employment situations, HCDB needed to outscore his opponents and didn't need to focus his attention on that area. ACC success is contingent on success, on both sides of the ball!

GoCuse157496140074034156.jpg

Last edited:
Only a Grad Transfer can play right away. All other transfers have to sit a year.
JUCO transfers may be able to play immediately if academically qualified.

JUCO transfers may be able to play immediately if academically qualified.
A JUCO isn't really a transfer but rather a prospect that has graduated from a Junior College. That's why they get to sign NLIs. Where transfers don't.
But yes there are some cases of JUCO transfers but they are usually an exception. They are usually kids like Fortin or Reed who are using a loophole by transferring to a JUCO for a season/one year so they don't have to sit a year.

Even a 1 semester stop can be enough...

Don’t like your position following Spring/summer camp? Transfer to a JUCO for 1 semester, where you don’t even need to play, and join your new school in January... as long as your grades are in order.

Spot on!!!! I like Goggins also. But I think at this point HCDB should go all in on DT and add one more O-lineman from a P5 school. Of course we could get Malcolm Lamar FLST, Sherrill from NC and Thompson from OK and have a ACC type rotation at DT in 2021... throw in Justin Shorter who would be the highest rated recruit to Syracuse in the Internet era but thats not happening. Here is a reasonable look at what i would love for our 6 remaining spots from this recruiting staff.
1. JC DT Goggins
2. transfer DT Michael Thompson from OK. Move him back to DT 2021eligible
3. Juco OT Reed who I love BUT hearing rumblings a couple high high majors are now in contact. Lets hope just around the edges and they arent all in. But if somehow we lose him. How about Transfer DT Bo Peek from Stanford who we recruited in high school. We should take advantage of the crap at Stanford right now. (Maybe steal Pogorelc if Michigan or UVA hasnt smh)
4. Transfer qb Anthony Brown BC eligible immediately who we recruited in high school- if his knee is going to be ready for Spring game
5. 2020 OT Devery Hamilton from Stanford eligible immediately who we looked at in high school at Gilman and decided he was too high a prospect, bring him back to East coast He would battle for the starting spot but atleast add quality depth. Injuries happen ITS FOOTBALL. Our depth cant consists of players who never played football, never played P5 college football or are in a new position after gaining weight for a year. We need depth like a real P5 school
6. 2020 High School DT Marcus Eason- My "hidden gem" since HCDB likes taking flyers on 2 star or lower rated kids, his diamond in the rough type players. How about a non rated (0 stars) recruit at DT. Of course those in recruiting circles know Mr Eason as he has been a standout at "The Opening" and camps and is only non rated because of a in season move from Michigan to Cali and minor ankle sprain cost him. This is very fortunate for us and he could slide our way just like Trill did with his injury and Alabama and high majors forgetting about him while we stayed on him. We should be all over this kid. Here is the funny thing. From a offer perspective he would be the most accomplished DT HCDB has ever landed at any of his jobs. Last year he was projected as a high 4 star before ankle sprain and move. Offers from 7 P5 schools (GT, Iowa ST, Syracuse, Rutgers, Miss st, Ole Miss, TX TC) but my Penn St guy said they and Mich St are getting back engaged soon. He should be our #1 high school prospect right now. Kid might start for us as true freshman on O-line or D-line but would be a solid 3 year starter in the least. Having 3 year starters at the ACC level allows you to build depth behind them. This is what we need to start doing. All the speculation on what players will play where after a 4 or 5 win season is ridiculous

We all dream of hitting the transfer portal lottery but its not likely specifically given our coaching staffs preference. But its not far fetched that we could get this 6 kids. They would be nice pieces to bridge to that 2021 year where it seems might be make or break for HCDB. I would really be happy with our overall class if we added this 6 players. Would be curious as to what some of you think/wish our remaining recruits will be to fill out this class. Please post
It's completely far fetched to land "JC DT Goggins" since he played for us 6 years ago...

I'd rather have any other option than Anthony Brown considering his knee was shredded last season.

Also, when you say "decided he was too high a prospect", I assume those are your words since most of those kids aren't interested in coming to SU.

Try and be realistic please.

It's completely far fetched to land "JC DT Goggins" since he played for us 6 years ago...

I'd rather have any other option than Anthony Brown considering his knee was shredded last season.

Also, when you say "decided he was too high a prospect", I assume those are your words since most of those kids aren't interested in coming to SU.

I assume he means a JC DT similar to what Goggins was for us a bunch of years ago.

I think a lot of your 'honest assessment' though is just speculation. Same can be said for the postive joe's to but some of their speculation is at least based on trends like kids generally getting better as they get older. See Coleman. He wasn't a stud DE until he was. The next stud DE might emerge next year.

There are some holes going into next season for sure but there's a better DT nucleus than there was last year. Last year we had 3 guys (Bear, Ruff, Black) and then Bear got hurt. This year there is 4 experienced guys going into spring (Bear, Black, Harper and Elmore) with Rondi and Munoz set to get snaps. We didn't have those extra guys last year.

... it's also hard to win with starting freshman lineman and a first year sophomore starting QB. It just is. And even so the team was literally a couple of plays away from being 7-5.

Has Munoz already been moved to DT, or is it assumed that he will?

Realistic would leave him with with 75% less posts. Positive would leave him with none.

WE NEED CLOSERS!! DINO CAN'T CLOSE!!

OP I'm pretty sure we agreed that the proper terminology is 'crooting. Thanks

Last edited:
From what I’ve read and heard, we may have hit jackpot in 2019 with Munoz/Rondi and Tuazama.
Are or were they doing well in practice and gymmm. Please say yes. I haven’t heard much.

You all need to start your own thread about who is going to move to DT, getting real old seeing in it in every 'croot thread.
In fairness this move is more about positional moves (OL vs DL) and less about the more popular dedication to S&C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom