The New Guys: Michael Gbinije | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The New Guys: Michael Gbinije

Still think that Ennis starts at PG with silent G as shooting guard and available to fill in at PG. That would leave 3 at SG that is the only issue. Getting playing time at 2G would be difficult with Patterson, Gbinije, and Cooney battling for minutes. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Some people have complained that we should have recruited another PG but we have 4 guards already for next year, and we got by fine with year with 3. So the depth at guard should be improved and competition makes everyone better and gives Boeheim more options.

My thinking for next eyar:

Centers: Coleman, Christmas and Keita with Obokoh redshirting. Coleman comes on strong and takes over the position unless his defense continues to hold him back.

Power Forward: Grant, (who becomes a star) and Roberson

Small Forward: CJ and BJ, quite a combination.

Shooting Guard: Buss blows by Cooney

Point guard: Gbinije, who blows up big and Ennis, who may have to wait his turn.

Plenty of size, talent and depth, (much more than this year), more firepower and another great season.
Hopefully you are right about Coleman. I would love to see us have the same depth that the 2011-2012 team had.

There were no issues with his defense at Duke. In fact, he was considered a very strong defender with the potential to be that 6'6-6'7 athletic defender that Duke hasn't had in a while.

[quote"Devilsadvocate, post: 613487, member: 2435"]There were no issues with his defense at Duke. In fact, he was considered a very strong defender with the potential to be that 6'6-6'7 athletic defender that Duke hasn't had in a while.[/quote]

So was it just a playing time issue or something else?

Don't know why. He played very little as a freshman and would have competed with Alex Murphy (and ultimately, Rodney Hood, although we didn't know that yet) for playing time going forward, but it was generally understood that he'd get time due to his defensive skills. It was certainly a surprise when he announced he was leaving.

I read an article somewhere that indicated that he felt he had been recruited over, and would never get a fair chance to start.

PT.

Just see this guy living at the line next year, I see alot of KJo in his game with what looks like a better handle, seems to love attacking the rim off the bounce and looking for contact. I think he could see time at the point as well. Not sure he can get by smaller defenders like MCW but with JB the high pick and roll is always there with a big difference in that guards will not be able to go under on him like MCW. To me that is what allowed other teams to clog the lane on us, that alone will open up the offense.

Don't know why. He played very little as a freshman and would have competed with Alex Murphy (and ultimately, Rodney Hood, although we didn't know that yet) for playing time going forward, but it was generally understood that he'd get time due to his defensive skills. It was certainly a surprise when he announced he was leaving.

Thanks. Its weird he will still play his whole career in the ACC

Wow, it hasn't even occurred to me that Ennis might not start... But I agree that we will have a rotation of four at guard. JB doesn't have any perfect solutions that are obvious now, so all will get a chance, and some games will have different rotations depending on the hot hand and matchups.

Ennis and Silent G are 99% likely as the starters, IMO.

Ennis and Silent G are 99% likely as the starters, IMO.

Agreed. I'd be amazed if our starting backcourt isn't Ennis and G next year. The only way this doesn't happen is if it turns out that Ennis isn't ready to run the point at a high level right away next year, in which case we'll struggle a little bit next year in the ACC with JB trying to cobble a backcourt together. But hopefully Ennis will be good as advertised from day one, and then the competition between Cooney and Patterson for bench minutes at SG when G is spelling Ennis at point will make both guys better, with whoever emerges as the better player getting the bulk of the minutes off the bench. The weaker of Cooney and Patterson will probably get freshman MCW minutes.

Still think that Ennis starts at PG with silent G as shooting guard and available to fill in at PG. That would leave 3 at SG that is the only issue. Getting playing time at 2G would be difficult with Patterson, Gbinije, and Cooney battling for minutes. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Some people have complained that we should have recruited another PG but we have 4 guards already for next year, and we got by fine with year with 3. So the depth at guard should be improved and competition makes everyone better and gives Boeheim more options.

We didn't get by fine in the final game. I would love to have G with the ball on that final possession.

Agreed. I'd be amazed if our starting backcourt isn't Ennis and G next year. The only way this doesn't happen is if it turns out that Ennis isn't ready to run the point at a high level right away next year, in which case we'll struggle a little bit next year in the ACC with JB trying to cobble a backcourt together. But hopefully Ennis will be good as advertised from day one, and then the competition between Cooney and Patterson for bench minutes at SG when G is spelling Ennis at point will make both guys better, with whoever emerges as the better player getting the bulk of the minutes off the bench. The weaker of Cooney and Patterson will probably get freshman MCW minutes.

Ennis is going to be given the keys to the offense. His HS team just played for ESPN's mythical HS National Championship, and he is an elite level prospect. Just like Jason Hart, Adrian Autry and countless other guys, Boeheim has shown that he trusts freshmen to run the offense at SU.

One thing that works in their favor, as Buzz Williams pointed out prior to our most recent game, is that our offense is not that complicated. We have maybe 10 offensive plays, tops, and focus mostly on as few as 5 or so plays as the bread and butter of our offense. High screen, pick & roll, pick & pop, double screen on one side, double screens on the baseline, double screen at the top of the key. And then it's options on where the shooters will be as the PG initiates in each set. A lot of that is based on reads as to where the defense is shading. Find the open space.

Other schools may have a harder time working in freshmen PGs because their playbook includes 60-70 offensive plays that a guy has to master, and he may have a coach that calls a play nearly every time down the floor. Our system is much more free flowing, and is simple, relatively speaking.

By keeping it simple, on both the offensive and defensive end, and by setting up the system to initiate transition opportunities, we try to let the players play instinctively, and we improve our execution on both ends of the floor by keeping things simple. This makes the adjustment much easier than it is for freshmen to try to come in and run the offense at another school.

Here's something from a Duke-related thing, not sure exactly what it is. He will just fine handling the ball as the other guard, probably even at point.

Good find. Thanks.

I wonder if he'll wear #15. Big shoes to fill.

What's the story with our 'retired jersey' thing? We put the shirt in the rafters, but the numbers are still available? Can a player really just choose "15?" I think G is shown as "0" on SUathletics. I wouldn't choose 15. He should be his own man. No way to live up to 15 anyway... Although, Triche wore 20, and i don't recall any comparisons to Sherm.

Whatever. His HS highlights remind me of Wade. The Quazzum69/Duke video brings that back down to earth, though. Still, i can't wait. He's going to be important.

Yes the numbers are still available. I imagine there must be a little vetting process with them though. A walkon is not going to be given #44. If a kid like McCullough wanted 15 or 44, they might give it to him. But those type of kids probably want their own jersey in the rafters one day, so they'd pick a different number.

What is his height? I've heard everything from 6'5" to 6'7". I suppose that we have to wait until he gets drafted to find out the truth?
Measured in officially at 6'6 at a Nike camp during his senior in HS.

Centers: Coleman, Christmas and Keita with Obokoh redshirting. Coleman comes on strong and takes over the position unless his defense continues to hold him back.

Point guard: Gbinije, who blows up big and Ennis, who may have to wait his turn.

Plenty of size, talent and depth, (much more than this year), more firepower and another great season.

I think BJ will be a 2 in our system due to offensive skill set and frame.

Back when he transferred, I heard that his final two were Duke and Syracuse, that he was swayed a bit by Duke winning the NC in 2010, and that he had a minor case of buyer's remorse after he got to Durham. Nothing negative about Duke, just that he felt after the fact that he made the wrong choice--a situation exacerbated by the lack of PT. Lots of players on good

By all accounts, he is a pretty good kid, a hard worker, with a lot of athletic ability. It says a lot about Gbinije [and Coach K] that he left that program on good terms, and that K didn't attempt to hamstring him with restrictions about where he could go.

Thanks. Its weird he will still play his whole career in the ACC

Add to that, he may very well be able to brag that he played for two coaches that totaled 2000 wins between them... How many players can say that?

Ennis starts day one. Cooney starts IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom