The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread

Would fans with historical knowledge of SU football consider Penn State to be our rival? Because our all-time series with them is 43-23-5 PSU, and our all-time series with Rutgers is 30-12-1 Cuse. In other words, very comparable in terms of one side dominating.
Just my take:

SU/PSU were rivals until the early 70's with many SU fans claiming a rivalry into the 80's but the truth is that once Syracuse tanked for a long period in the 70's, we cased to be rivals. The late 80's had some competitive teams, but no, we were no longer rivals and are not now rivals. We can still hate PSU, though.

cuseguy said:
Many of us never tried to compare it to those rivalries. Those rivalries are in a completely different league.

My point all along was that SU-Rutgers and SU-UConn were in the early stages of becoming a rivalry. We were vying for many of the same recruits (and to some degree, we still are) and competing for bragging rights in the tri-state area.

If the Big East had continued, I have no doubt that those matchups would have grown into decent rivalries.

None of that matters to people who refuse to recognize Rutgers as anything more than the team we used to roll over 20 years ago.

Either your definition of "split" is different from most or our worst period doesn't include GRob. Either way, something doesn't fit.
I cannot research the numbers but as I recall we had around five wins and they had around six from 2001 to present, which plainly encompasses the Grob era.

You are free to declare any period you like, but other games were played. Perhaps using the Rutgers' method of history analysis is not your best option. (We know the drill: Rutgers was relevant in 1869 and 2006, conveniently forgetting that there was a 135 years of history between these two dates)

Thank you for insulting me...

Rutgers is a rival to me because: I loathe their fans, they are close by, received a lifeline due to having cable boxes and we recruit their area...a lot of arrogance here with folks trying to force their opinion down the throats of others.
I love you Mark.

You mean how PennSt must feel about us in football?
I don't consider Penn State a rivalry past 1990 because we stopped playing them. Not even close to the same scenario. We played Rutgers for a long time and they were never considered a rival in reality.

Would fans with historical knowledge of SU football consider Penn State to be our rival? Because our all-time series with them is 43-23-5 PSU, and our all-time series with Rutgers is 30-12-1 Cuse. In other words, very comparable in terms of one side dominating.
I agree that Penn State has a better record...the main difference is that those games mattered to both teams when they played. We didn't start hating rutgers until schiano got there..and it was mainly because he was a .

Penn State was once our rival, they are not anymore. I don't believe anyone has argued that they are currently SU's rival in football.
Exactly. My point is that it was a rivalry for a time period...how can anyone honestly say that Rutgers was our rival for any period longer than about 4 years...and secondly..if you consider them our rival then you would have to consider every other big east team equally our rival because there is no way the rutgers games meant anything more than the others. < run on sentence.

Thank you for insulting me...

Rutgers is a rival to me because: I loathe their fans, they are close by, received a lifeline due to having cable boxes and we recruit their area...a lot of arrogance here with folks trying to force their opinion down the throats of others.

Not trying to "force" anything down your throat, just rather not have all of college football thinking that RU is our rival. Just because you have no respect for SU's history vs RU (except last 15 yrs) doesn't make your opinion correct either. I rather have college football fans thinking we don't have a rival then putting SU on the same scale as Rutgers. The reason that there are so many pages is because there are many of us SU fans that feel the same way I do and we don't want to see our historic program brought down to the lowest level in college football. I actually feel sorry for you because apparently you never got to experience the SU program when other teams feared coming into the dome. Well, enjoy your rivalry and maybe you can also add in the Colgate vs Bucknell to your rivalry passion.

you keep saying not one meaningful game but others have pointed out that we lost to them multiple times when we would've gone to major bowl game if we had beaten them.

Even I grant that tenuous claim, knocking someone out of a bowl or a better bowl isn't much of a basis for a rivalry.

If you think about it, just about every game in the 12 game season qualifies under that criteria as each one affects bowl eligibility and bowl selection.

If you think Rutgers is an SU rival, then I really question what you think an actual rivalry is.

As I have pointed out, we have a much richer, stronger history with Pitt, WVU, BC and even VT. And these aren't really rivals.

It also occurs to me that SU BB fans that stated being fans after the 1980's really don't understand where all the heat in that relationship comes from. They have been told there's a rivalry but not why.

They have been told there's a rivalry but not why.
If only they had an on-campus arena that JAB could "officially close"...

If only they had an on-campus arena that JAB could "officially close"...

You appear to "get it"!

But that's just one of the quotes including JB saying that 18K just witnessed Graham punch his player.

But the youug-ins on here know little about this history and the emotions of the time.

All things Rutgers are dumpster fire worthy. Including any and all "rival" talk. No need to separate the threads for fock's sake.

They are not a rival. I don't get this board's obsession with anything Rutgers. Every time this board obsesses on all things Rutgers it actually elevates Rutgers and make them bigger than they actually are. They have never been a rival. They aren't a rival now. They will never be a rival down the road. Why this board has dedicated threads about Rutgers is beyond me. With the dedicated threads about Rutgers it actually makes Syracuse look inferior to Rutgers because #1 doesn't take shots at #2. It's always #2 taking shots at #1. It makes Syracuse look inferior to Rutgers, it really does.

Someone make a poll already. Throw all the mentioned teams on there: Rutgers, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, BC, Penn State, Pitt, NC State. See what happens.

Someone make a poll already. Throw all the mentioned teams on there: Rutgers, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, BC, Penn State, Pitt, NC State. See what happens.
Rutgers

Stern said:
They are not a rival. I don't get this board's obsession with anything Rutgers. Every time this board obsesses on all things Rutgers it actually elevates Rutgers and make them bigger than they actually are. They have never been a rival. They aren't a rival now. They will never be a rival down the road. Why this board has dedicated threads about Rutgers is beyond me. With the dedicated threads about Rutgers it actually makes Syracuse look inferior to Rutgers because #1 doesn't take shots at #2. It's always #2 taking shots at #1. It makes Syracuse look inferior to Rutgers, it really does.

Who in the last 10-15 years comes closer?

Who in the last 10-15 years comes closer?
Not sure but its not them. And there are times and there are schools who don't have rivals. Right now that's us. You can't manufacture a rival or a rivalry, some schools (UCONN with UCF) have tried but you can't. I'm sorry just because a few people on a message board didn't like Schiano for a few years back in the day doesn't make Rutgers the rival for SU. Nobody in NJ or at Rutgers considers SU a rivalry. Nobody in greater Syracuse outside of this message board considers Rutgers a rivalry. Nobody on the SU hill considers Rutgers a rival.

SU's next big rival will happen generically and happen on its own over time. You can't manufacture it.

Not sure but its not them. And there are times and there are schools who don't have rivals. Right now that's us. You can't manufacture a rival or a rivalry, some schools (UCONN with UCF) have tried but you can't. I'm sorry just because a few people on a message board didn't like Schiano for a few years back in the day doesn't make Rutgers the rival for SU. Nobody in NJ or at Rutgers considers SU a rivalry. Nobody in greater Syracuse outside of this message board considers Rutgers a rivalry. Nobody on the SU hill considers Rutgers a rival.

SU's next big rival will happen generically and happen on its own over time. You can't manufacture it.

Uconn and UCF is your example? thats like 24 hour car drive. Horrible example of a failed rivalry. Your right about a lot of Rutgers fan not viewing us as a rival, the iorny is that they feel its below them and degrading to bring them selves down to Cuse's level.

Uconn and UCF is your example? thats like 24 hour car drive. Horrible example of a failed rivalry. Your right about a lot of Rutgers fan not viewing us as a rival, the iorny is that they feel its below them and degrading to bring them selves down to Cuse's level.
I mentioned it because of this story http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo.../uconn-ucf-rivalry-trophy-conflict-mean-girls where Uconn tried to manufacture a rivalry. That's what this board does with Rutgers I feel. Nobody in America considers Rutgers our rival outside of a few on this message board.

New York and New Jersey have the same capital city , de facto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom