The Recruiting Problem... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Recruiting Problem...

Last I checked we still play in the largest on campus venue for college basketball, just went to the final four, have a prominent NBA players name on a state of the art practice facility, a HoF coach, play in a talent rich portion of the country, and in the best basketball conference... and in the running for the top guys on our board.

We're fine.

Dino would trade these recruiting problems for cash.
I'd like to add a state of the art athlete's dorm to that list.

Why I think it is a problem that there are no commits:

1) There will likely be only 5 scholarship players returning last year. It is going to be really scary in two or three year too, they need to get 5 or 6 in this class.
2) It is easy to say that you can find 5th year grad transfers and such but those guys leave the program after just one season. You cannot sustain success off of that. Now if we want to go the transfer route, I'd much rather prefer that they try and bring in JUCO guys or guys with like 2 or 3 years of eligibility, but then the problem with that is that they won't be able to contribute right away in 2018.

I'm not panicking but there is reason for concern due to the stress that is going to be put on this class and the importance. They need some good players to transfer into the Hopkins era.

How many commits does Kentucky have for 17 right now?

How many commits does Kentucky have for 17 right now?

Zero commits or did Vanderbuilt commit when I wasn't paying attention?

I know they have offered Young, Green, Diallo, Walker, Knox, Bamba, Richardson and Vanderbuilt. There are a couple more but I don't remember any of them giving verbals.

Zero commits or did Vanderbuilt commit when I wasn't paying attention?

I know they have offered Young, Green, Diallo, Walker, Knox, Bamba, Richardson and Vanderbuilt. There are a couple more but I don't remember any of them giving verbals.

Exactamundo. I bet they are panicking in Lexington!

Green, Brisset, Sidibe bonus Preston

Preston would have been my second guess for the bonus since it looks like he wants to sign early. I know his visit went well and he really likes SU but I was under the impression that there were some other hurdles to clear.

That would be great, but two X's.

Point being [in response to that earlier post above], it isn't ridiculous at all, if you've been paying attention.
I'll believe it when I see it. I think its funny that somehow you of all people have this precious information and not the hundreds of reporters that cover this stuff. Its even funnier when you consider the fact that people like you have been saying Green was going to commit months ago.

I'll believe it when I see it. I think its funny that somehow you of all people have this precious information and not the hundreds of reporters that cover this stuff. Its even funnier when you consider the fact that people like you have been saying Green was going to commit months ago.

A "you people" post -- so stupid.

Also, your reading comprehension needs work. But feel free to stop back on November 9th with your "I'm sorry" post if / when we have three kids signed.

We are lucky enough to have people here that are "connected" in different ways to the recruiting world. Many in the basketball program and some in the recruiting world. I don't understand your acting like an ass. The reporters know what those same people are willing to share to the public, our insiders sometimes know more than what is meant for the general public. Also, these things are fluid and there are very few sure things until things ARE reported to the general public, but I for one am grateful for the updates to where things stand. If you don't appreciate it, then don't respond.

A "you people" post -- so stupid.

Also, your reading comprehension needs work. But feel free to stop back on November 9th with your "I'm sorry" post if / when we have three kids signed.
Lol easy buddy. I hope your right. And I'll hold you to this on November 9th.

Oh great! Another "Let's trash the insider knowledge people" post. Like we haven't seen that before.

I don't understand people's need to bash posters. They post info. You can like/believe the message, you can not like/believe it. But, are you really so bitter that you have to post that you don't like/believe the message?

Why do we have to go through this every week or so? :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Hmm... You're fairly new.

Do people speculate on players we don't realistically have a shot at? Were you here during the spring and summer following the Thompson and White recruitments?

Last edited:
Oh great! Another "Let's trash the insider knowledge people" post. Like we haven't seen that before.

I don't understand people's need to bash posters. They post info. You can like/believe the message, you can not like/believe it. But, are you really so bitter that you have to post that you don't like/believe the message?

Why do we have to go through this every week or so? :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

That's always been my thing. Believe whoever you want but what's the point of starting a big peeing match about it??

The lack of shooters/wing players we are good position with right now is the most concerning.
Agreed. Scoring is going bye-bye after next season. I can't believe that there isn't a Diallo or Walker tripping over themselves to come here to get 35+ mpg and average 20+ ppg in their one year of college. So it comes down to $$. And SU is way behind the power curve against UK and Duke on that front.

I agree but JB's retirement has come up in several recruiting situations recently...
which is why he needs to set a firm timeline - at least with the recruits. If I'm an elite player I want to know who my head coach is going to be in 2017 and 2018. They deserve definitive answers... "maybes" and "probablys" would be a turnoff and I wouldn't blame them for looking elsewhere.

which is why he needs to set a firm timeline - at least with the recruits. If I'm an elite player I want to know who my head coach is going to be in 2017 and 2018. They deserve definitive answers... "maybes" and "probablys" would be a turnoff and I wouldn't blame them for looking elsewhere.

You're always worried aren't you?

You were worried about the zone? That worked out fine.
You were worried last year would be a dissappointment? It wasn't.
You were worried we wouldn't get Thompson. We did.
You were worried we wouldn't get White. We did.
You are worried Gerry can't recruit because zero players have signed? Didn't know it was his sole job to get players?

If we get Green, can he recruit? If we don't get Green, can he not recruit?

Last edited:
They know it will either be JB or Hop, if they don't like either, then they move on. No big mystery here.

You're always worried aren't you?

You were worried about the zone? That worked out fine.
You were worried last year would be a dissappointment? It wasn't.
You were worried we wouldn't get Thompson. We did.
You were worried we wouldn't get White. We did.
You are worried Gerry can't recruit because zero players have signed? Didn't know it was his sole job to get players?

If we get Green, can he recruit? If we don't get Green, can he not recruit?

Let's be honest, last year was pretty disappointing until the tournament.

Let's be honest, last year was pretty disappointing until the tournament.
Yes and no...the team struggled for sure, but since we really only went 6 1/2 deep we knew depth would be a big problem. The big thing was that the team fulfilled it's max potential when it counted.

This year's team will not lack for depth. Also, as good a job as G did at the point last season, we will be starting a true PG this season. Hopefully that difference will show, particularly in facilitation.

There is really zero question that this team has a higher upside than did last year's team. Of course, there will always be the luck and avoiding land mine factors to reach a FF, but if we get there it means that this year's squad will have melded, and with more depth and talent than last year's team, it would mean that we are there for the title and not the cameo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom