the Refs | Syracusefan.com

the Refs

upperdeck

Living Legend
live you always get caught up with the crowd, but did the TV replays show that the refs seemed to make tons of mistakes on calls today? i know CJ got taken down like 3 times. lots of tough no calls. one of the big cooney 3's he ended up in the bleachers. it felt like coach was looking to take a T but knew we had the game under control and didnt want to take one.

Really didn't care for the officiating today. Don't think it benefited one team more than the other, but it was disjointed.

It seemed like every TV timeout the refs would alternate from calling things razor close to letting the boys play.

Really didn't care for the officiating today. Don't think it benefited one team more than the other, but it was disjointed.

It seemed like every TV timeout the refs would alternate from calling things razor close to letting the boys play.
Yup. I agree that it didn't benefit one team, but it was totally inconsistent. The one guy that humped Jerami and then ended up drawing a F1 when Jerami took a step and a few no calls when Cooney came off the screen and the defender grabbed his shoulder and pulled but the refs didn't seem to mind. Then ticky tack fouls at random intervals. Didn't make sense.

For a while there every trip to the basket on either side resulted in a foul, I thought the game was going to go 3 hours. I'm an SU homer so it seemed clear to me that the refs were doing everything they could to keep Villanova in the game halfway through the second half. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm right about that.

It was like they forgot about the new rules for the first 20 minutes and someone reminded them at halftime. Just brutally inconsistent all day.

Felt like we were playing Pitt in the 1st half.

That crew blows there is no doubt about it. Every game they do they change the way they are calling it 6 times miss multiple obvious calls and blow a handful head scratchers.

In the second half we got into the bonus situation pretty fast. I think that says something about who was being whistled in the 2nd half.

I thought the refs made bad calls on both teams.

My son and I watched the game with father and son VU fan friends. They thought they got jobbed. We thought we got jobbed. I usually think the refs suck.

First, that was a disgraceful job by Stephens and crew. Worse than usual.

Second, has there been a change in the rule regarding free throws after an offensive foul? Traditionally, all offensive fouls that aren't player-control fouls result in free throws for the other team (if the team is in the bonus). This happened twice today with no free throws awarded - once on a bad foul call on Fair in the first half, again when Cooney caught a moving screen in the second. No free throws, despite the offensive foul occurring off the ball. What gives?

Ok, you can watch basketball for years and years and not see as egregious a missed call as the no call on nova when their guy essentially took out BMK's knees.

They missed plenty of clipping calls on the field (meant on the court:rolleyes:). Is there a new rule like in football that promotes low hits. There seemed to be so many low tackles in the game and refs seem to be ruling that diving in front of a player taking out their legs is now a good defensive play.

At one point there was a 4-5 minute stretch when it stopped being Nova-Cuse and became all about the one official. In one stretch he called over the back, a flagrant when Grant was being bodied up and fouled, and awarded a shooting foul to a player who was clearly fouled, but didn't even possess the ball. There was at least one other bad call in that stretch that I am forgetting. Seemed to me that when he started getting booed and having JB get on him that his ego stopped in

live you always get caught up with the crowd, but did the TV replays show that the refs seemed to make tons of mistakes on calls today? i know CJ got taken down like 3 times. lots of tough no calls. one of the big cooney 3's he ended up in the bleachers. it felt like coach was looking to take a T but knew we had the game under control and didnt want to take one.

Hess is ok, but Stephens is in the top 3 worst refs in college bb, in my opinion and apparently he gets all the work he wants. Often complaning about the refs after a loss is sour grapes, but after a win, it's legitimate. Vill was under-cutting and using their shoulders and moving picks all game and it seemed like they got called 1 out of 4 or 5 times they did it. The third ref just ran up and down the court with his whistle in his mouth, apparently afraid to call anything.

the 1st half was awful. every call went nova's way.

the 2nd half was a little bit better... but grant literally got the short end of the stick on every call on both ends of the court today. Harvey must have pissed someone in the crew off 20 years ago. I've never seen anything like it.

maybe I'm biased

In the second half we got into the bonus situation pretty fast. I think that says something about who was being whistled in the 2nd half.

I thought the refs made bad calls on both teams.

i think they still beat us to the bonus. and there were a lot less fouls in the 2nd half than the 1st.

- Jump balls couldn't be more arbitrary. We tie them up for 5 sec' and they're awarded a time out without possession of the ball. Gbinjie gets a strip where both guys have their hands on the ball for .2 seconds and it's a tie-up.
- The flagarant on Cooney was your prototypical turtle to the home crowd. Whistle & arm up for the personal, then some boo's in unison by the crowd, then the "oh I better call something else here". Hilarious.
- I hate/loathe/despise/detest the fact that if Cooney would've flopped to the ground on the drive&kick 3 that made it 25-5 it's an offensive foul but it's not because he didn't. Almost makes "Duke diving" understandable.
Whatever, pretty much your standard fare for college basketball.

I said in a thread yesterday that I think the refs are inconsistent and bad at their jobs, but not biased against us. I have to amend that, as Stephens seemed blatantly out to get us yesterday, especially in the second half. He spent the first half swallowing his whistle on obvious bumping, grabbing and undercutting by Nova. In the second half there was a stretch where he went out of his way to make a call against us on every possession, even overruling the other refs several times. And as someone else noted, he seemed to especially have something against Jerami. It was an embarrassing showing.

For all we know, something happened in a previous game of ours he officiated. This is why I don't understand how 3 of our first 12 games can have Hess and Stephens, with more to come I'm sure.

I usually think whiny about the refs is BS but that jump all was hilarious.

We get tied up on our end for an eternity and Nova gets a time out.

Tie up on the other end with us stealing the ball after a fraction of a second is a jump ball.

Mike Stephens is the new TV teddy

He makes sure everyone knows he is out there
I couldn't have said it better! Stephens is horrific...just as bad as Hess. They're my leading candidates to replace Burr and Rummy-nosed Higgins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom