the Refs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

the Refs

That particular no call caused me to scream louder and with more rage at my TV than I probably ever have before.

ANd really in bball what could be more flagrant other than swinging at a guy already airborn? Diving in from the side of back of a guy running and taking out his legs is much worse that an accidental elbow to the face and much more dangerous to a players career.

I am amazed at the number of times refs let kids dive and take people out with no call.. so dangerous and it happens game after game.. you want to make the game safer make players stay on their feet and get the ball. almost always the player under control loses out to the one diving and only because they are out of control.

I am amazed at the number of times refs let kids dive and take people out with no call.. so dangerous and it happens game after game.. you want to make the game safer make players stay on their feet and get the ball. almost always the player under control loses out to the one diving and only because they are out of control.

And even if the diving player gets it even the act of calling a TO would cuaue a travel 95% of the time which they also do not call. I am a huge proponent in saying you simply cannot go to the ground to get the ball. Its very dangerous and really isn't basketball at all.

My son and I watched the game with father and son VU fan friends. They thought they got jobbed. We thought we got jobbed. I usually think the refs suck.
Seriously the refs sucked equally for both sides. That is the thing with this crew. Not that they hate SU or anything like the Froggy Paparo days, but you know they are gonna step in a pile somewhere during the gam,e and you just hope it ain't against you at the worst possible time.

And even if the diving player gets it even the act of calling a TO would cuaue a travel 95% of the time which they also do not call. I am a huge proponent in saying you simply cannot go to the ground to get the ball. Its very dangerous and really isn't basketball at all.
There was one play Silent G ripped the ball out of the Nova player's hand and they called a tie-up Possession Nova.

OttoMets said:
First, that was a disgraceful job by Stephens and crew. Worse than usual.

Second, has there been a change in the rule regarding free throws after an offensive foul? Traditionally, all offensive fouls that aren't player-control fouls result in free throws for the other team (if the team is in the bonus). This happened twice today with no free throws awarded - once on a bad foul call on Fair in the first half, again when Cooney caught a moving screen in the second. No free throws, despite the offensive foul occurring off the ball. What gives?

Offensive fouls have never resulted in free throws, even if in the bonus

I wonder if Harvey or Horace played against Stevens in the past and blocked the s# out of one of his shots or something...

Given that it was Hess and Stephens I was expecting worse. I still found it awful.

Did anyone else see the inbound play in the 2nd half when the Villanova player defending the inbound lined up with both feet completely out of bounds? It didn't harm us at all, but it seemed like the refs were missing a lot of the super obvious stuff.

I actually thought that three of our tip ins were in the cylinder when we touched the ball....

I watched the game last night, as I was at a wedding and missed it. I didn't extend the dvr so missed the last 3 minutes.
You have to realize that I knew exactly what was going to happen in this game. As I watched it I kept saying over and over to myself that it was good that I did not see this game live because I would have been screaming at the refs. The job they did was horrible. Very inconsistent. Game was very physical at times. Knowing the results I think this really points out how bad they were. I didn't need to blame them because I knew we won.

Let the record REFlect I'm staying out of this one :rolleyes:

I have absolutely no idea what a foul is anymore.

Clear block = foul
Tackle = no call
Slap to the forearm = no call
Displace air around offender = foul
Throw your face into the way of an elbow = technical

I was yelling about it all game until I resigned myself to the fact that college basketball officiating is a farce.

Ah! for the Days of Pete Pavia and Larry Lembo,can you hear me Mark Distaola

Listening to the complaining you'd think it was one of those WWF "special guest referee" situations.

JUst player control fouls or charges didn't result in them when in the bonus. Moving screens or off the ball ones always did to my memory.

Exactly.

Never heard that this changed, but there were two without shots yesterday.

Inconsistent and poor reffing comes 10/10 times when Michael Stephens is officiating the game... Dude is absolutely horrific. May be a great guy, but he is an abysmal referee... Cannot stand Stephens!

They were bad. Very bad. If we lost, I'd be griping. But they were screwing everything up all around.

Stephens is always horrific. I'm not sure what he's up to - but getting calls right certainly isn't it.

Some of the stuff they don't call is shocking considering some of the touch fouls they do blow the whistle on. Baye getting kneecapped, Fair got taken down in the open court once, the tie-ups were nonsensical, etc...just a bizarre game, very poorly officiated and I'm sure frustrating for both sides.

Did anyone else see the inbound play in the 2nd half when the Villanova player defending the inbound lined up with both feet completely out of bounds? It didn't harm us at all, but it seemed like the refs were missing a lot of the super obvious stuff.
Several times in a row the defender did this not just once.

hey they never call that when CJ/cooney run out of bounds on the curl play so we have to live with them not calling the D out of bounds too.. CJ likes to line up out of bounds under the basket when we play D too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom