This an elite offensive team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This an elite offensive team

Wake Forest now there's a team in disarray
They certainly aren't in disarray but they aren't any power house either. Wake has one Q1 win and that is a road victory over 12-10 VA TECH.

We had several Possesions today where we barely dribbled.
And we’re not going to hit shots at the clip we did today 3 or 4 games in a row but that’s how we have to play if we want to go on a run in the ACCT. We can get consistent open looks against any team not named Dook moving the ball as we did today.

I’m just not confident we’ll play that way for an entire game when we aren’t running a team the way we did today.

As good as their efficiency is it is still mind blowing to see some of the middle school level turnovers that occur due to lack of attention, lazy passes, dribbling off feet, etc.
I said at halftime even though we were shooting about 55% that we were leaving a lot of meat on the bone.

They certainly aren't in disarray but they aren't any power house either. Wake has one Q1 win and that is a road victory over 12-10 VA TECH.
Ok and we crushed them

We're a very good offensive team. What we lack is versatility. We have a higher number of shooters than, say, 2003 or 2010, but those teams could score anywhere in the halfcourt and get out on the break. They could play at any pace. As the color guy said today, we have difficulty creating easy shots. That wasn't the case today because they had nobody to match up with JE, but a team with a good big and good on the ball defender can give us trouble. It's about matchups for us.

folks around here get hung up on how the points are scored, I'm merely pointing out that when yr efficiency ranking is in the top 20 of 350+ teams this far into the season, it's an elite offense
Yes, I care how points are scored. I don't think numbers tell the whole story. The capability of a team to score in a variety of ways ensures that they can score against any defense which I think is the best definition of elite.

Haters mad

No they aren't. This offense is pretty one-dimensional.

When they're hot, that one dimension can certainly lead to elite offensive output.

But we're a couple pieces of the puzzle away from being truly elite offense.

A penetrating point guard, more ability to create off the bounce, less reliance on ISO ball with ill-suited personnel, etc would be required for this offense to truly be elite.

Haters mad
Not for nothing, and certainly not just directed towards you @jdubs, but I seriously doubt that we have "haters" here. I think all of us want the same things, SU victories. How we express our perspectives whether positive or negative, should not determine the label that's placed on us.
I have never been as down on JB's "system" as I have been this year, and justifiably so, IMO. But I wouldn't say I've been a hater, and I'll give anyone else critical about the direction of the program the same benefit of the doubt.
We are plagued by polar extremes in every area of our lives these day. You're either black or white, no grays. Either with us or against us, no nuances. That's a sucky way to be, IMO. -end rant-

folks around here get hung up on how the points are scored, I'm merely pointing out that when yr efficiency ranking is in the top 20 of 350+ teams this far into the season, it's an elite offense
It’s amazing how people here continue to harp on the offense. We did have a couple of terrible, inexplicably bad offensive games against Duke and Pitt, but mostly we’ve been good to great. The numbers bear it out. And yes, a true penetrating PG who can get into the lane and find the open man or score would be hugely helpful.

But nobody wants to talk about the defense because they think with our athleticism and speed deficit, we’ll never get better. I don’t agree. These guys, especially Jimmy, have been terrible in the rotations and being out of position and then the zone collapses and no one fans out to shooters. If they can start to improve there, the defense could be serviceable.

Last edited:
If they can start to improve there, the defense could be serviceable.
it’s been 23 games now. It ain’t happening. Call me a hater or whatever, but against better teams, we have to hope they miss open shots and we get rebounds.

at this point, I’m pretty much on board with JBs plan. Play your offense and hope we out score them.

It’s amazing how people here continue to harp on the offense. We did have a couple of terrible, inexplicably bad offensive games against Duke and Pitt, but mostly we’ve been good to great. The numbers bear it out. And yes, a true penetrating PG who can get into the lane and find the open man or score would be hugely helpful.

But nobody wants to talk about the defense because they think with our athleticism and speed deficit, we’ll never get better. But I don’t agree. These guys, especially Jimmy, have been terrible in the rotations and being out of position and then the zone collapses and no one fans out to shooters. If they can start to improve there, the defense could be serviceable.
I thought the defense looked good today or was it just Louisville couldn't shoot.

I can tell you this, if this team makes the field, no top seeds want to see them in their bracket.
As much as some may laugh, making the tourney is all but out of the picture, if somehow this team did make it, that would mean they went on a serious roll. And no one wants to play a team with 4 guys who can shoot out of the starting 5 when they're on a roll.

We often tend to overanalyze things. That is natural for a passionate fanbase.

Really it's been Cole and Jessie that have been the difference more so than this team playing out of character or us needing to see Joe do it vs Duke or UNC etc.

Jessie is more disciplined and Cole has been more consistent and the player we expected. Given that, we have been more reliant on Jessie as we need to be, Buddy has actually had more space and opportunities to do what we saw late last year and the game has been easier for Joe given teams have more to think about than just being able to pressure him into turnovers.

Our defense may be too poor to do enough the rest of the season. That is not out of the realm of possibilities. For now it's doing enough paired with good offense.

We have the right momentum and execution to stay over .500.

As for more than that, depends on how far above the median we can perform on both ends of the floor.

I luv Joe but he's not a point guard in my estimation. Every time he starts dribbling I hold my breath. Also. the team has the overall speed of the Mills Brothers.
Joe is seeing the floor better than any guard we’ve had since Ennis. He’s picking the defense apart on pick and rolls and he found Jessie rolling from the wing when two players went to guard Buddy. He has a couple of really good reads on defense that led to steals. His game continues to evolve. He was never a point guard until he came to SU. Jessie is the most improved and Joe is #2.

As one of the announcers - can't remember who, said in a previous game, Swider is the key, along with Jesse of course. If Swider is hitting shots, the D will pay if they're throwing double teams at Buddy and Joe.
They would pay if teams put their sf on Buddy. Swider is the key. I want to see him in the paint. 3's come and go.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as some may laugh, making the tourney is all but out of the picture, if somehow this team did make it, that would mean they went on a serious roll. And no one wants to play a team with 4 guys who can shoot out of the starting 5 when they're on a roll.
You will have to look at other teams resumes on the bubble, they aren't going to be all that strong either. Cuse just has to keep rolling and let the chips fall where they may and IMO they have a very realistic shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom