This program needs to wake up. Quickly. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This program needs to wake up. Quickly.

A lot of people are financially committed to this program, and almost everyone on here is certainly emotionally committed. Accountability is necessary when things aren't going well. Realistically, we should be 1-4. This season thus far is nothing short of a shitshow.

I would like to add accountability is not saying that there are bigger problems in the world and that ISIS is chopping people's heads off in a press conference following an embarrassing performance in which you allowed a team starting a true freshman QB to run you out of your own building.

A lot of people are financially committed to this program, and almost everyone on here is certainly emotionally committed. Accountability is necessary when things aren't going well. Realistically, we should be 1-4. This season thus far is nothing short of a shitshow.

Financially committed to the program? Really? Unless your name is on a building you know what you can do with your financial commitment to the program? Take it and bring it elsewhere. Free market.

Maybe along with a rebuild of the program we should simultaneously rebuild the fan base as its become as much of a shitshow (your word) as the season.

Glad you've at least allowed the HC a reprieve from his termination for now (that change in opinion took all of three days). That was mighty nice of ya.

One of the only positive things from the cluster that has become this week is thanking God that some of the posters on this board don't run the program.

How many people come on here to give the " echo chamber of pro-SU spin" ? 4 or 5 people ? everyone else is grinding an ax for someone or something associated with the program. The rest of the media and boards are much worse. That's all that the players , coaches and casual fans here , hypercritical BS. You wonder why students don't go to games , they don't want to be part of this mean spirited negative scene. Do you think it helps the players perform better when all they here is how worthless and inept they are ?
yeesh...students dont come to games or leave early because (like all of us) they are bored at the games but unlike most of us they can easily go out and drink/party and have a lot more fun...whereas we just stay and talk about the Bills/Giants and a bunch of unrelated topics and keep a casual watch on the SU game in front of us

Financially committed to the program? Really? Unless your name is on a building you know what you can do with your financial commitment to the program? Take it and bring it elsewhere. Free market.

Maybe along with a rebuild of the program we should simultaneously rebuild the fan base as its become as much of a shitshow (your word) as the season.

Glad you've at least allowed the HC a reprieve from his termination for now (that change in opinion took all of three days). That was mighty nice of ya.

One of the only positive things from the cluster that has become this week is thanking God that some of the posters on this board don't run the program.

You know what happens when you spend money, right? You don't get it back. Financial commitment comes from past investments too.

Just because you don't donate a million bucks means you're not financially committed to the program?

I've given Shafer a reprieve? I haven't once called for his firing, ever.

I've been saying for the last several weeks that this season is going horribly, not after 3 days.

Stop spinning things.

I have been an orange fan since watching Jim Brown play as a kid from the cold hard concrete seats of Archibold. I have seen great teams and not so great teams but have remained a loyal orange fan. And I couldn't have agreed more with what Rocco said in his post. You as a fan can be critical of the team but that does not make you less of a fan in fact proves you are a fan becsause you are loyal despite their failings just not happy about their current level of play and want what is best for your beloved orange . This is a big let down for me because I had felt that we would be so much better and at least exciting to watch and root for. All that being said as ever GO ORANGE !

Just because you don't donate a million bucks means you're not financially committed to the program?

I've given Shafer a reprieve? I haven't once called for his firing, ever.

I've been saying for the last several weeks that this season is going horribly, not after 3 days.

Stop spinning things.

My apologies. It was Alsacs that called for his firing on Saturday morning. Haven't rechecked to see who was supporting that ridiculous idea.

Maybe along with a rebuild of the program we should simultaneously rebuild the fan base ...

This might be the worst idea ever posted on any variation of this board.

Rebuild the fanbase? Seriously?

Like kick season ticket holders out of their seats and replace them with 'better fans'? Is that what you mean?

That said, we could take one of the unused luxury boxes and fill it with the echo chamber...

This might be the worst idea ever posted on any variation of this board.

Rebuild the fanbase? Seriously?

Like kick season ticket holders out of their seats and replace them with 'better fans'? Is that what you mean?

That said, we could take one of the unused luxury boxes and fill it with the echo chamber...

Tongue meet cheek.

Just stop it.

He didn't remove McDonald to appease fans or deflect attention from some press conference that 10 people watched.

You continually make conclusive assertions and connections based on nothing more than your own suppositions.
Listen you and I don't see eye to eye on much. I thank you for not going overboard in your opinion. If you responded like this I would not have a problem with you. Maybe your right Shafer didn't can the guy because of the PC but that PC made some of the fanbase question Shafer. I don't think he canned the guy because of his PC but canning the guy gave me some confidence the guy will make good decisions.

If you want to disagree with me fine but I don't make thoughts/statements as facts unless I give links to support them. If people want to say my attitude ticks them off fine but I make opinions that are debatable. If you want to tell me my tone comes off like I talk in factual ways that is the way people want to take and I always say disagree and I have no problem.

My apologies. It was Alsacs that called for his firing on Saturday morning. Haven't rechecked to see who was supporting that ridiculous idea.
It isgreat you responded to my response to you in that thread? Oh wait you didn't respond. If people think Shafer is in over his head questioning keeping in the job is a reasonable discussion. Shafer has many pluses and has many negatives. We scrapped to 7-6 last year and are 2-3 this year. Shafer has had 4 games out of 18 where our offense scored 30 points and only 1 of those 4 games was against a P5 opponent.
What are the top 2 wins of the Shafer era? 1. Is a 3 pt win over Minnesota and the 2. Is probably a 20-3 win Maryland which was without its top 2 playmakers.
Tell me you watched that Press conference and you didn't see Greg Robinson. You probably didn't watch it. If keeping Shafer happens and it will I am not going to say it will happen then next year becomes his make or break year. If we don't improve next year it sets us back another 2-3 years. Thus, if. Gross doesn't think Shafer will turn it around then debating his removal now is a debatable issue but go back to giving nothing but putdowns and lectures to people who question Shafer.

There couldn't have been more than 400 students at the Louisville game at kickoff. Even if there were as high as 1000, that is sad.
I don't think there were 5000 people in dome at kick off.

I agree with everything but the student section part. I don't know why it is so hard for you guys to understand.

A Freshman at SU is 18 years old. They were born in about 1996. Here's SU's win loss records since they were in kindergarten (an age when a child can conceivably understand rooting/following a team):

2001: 10-3 (A great year!)
2002: 4-8
2003: 6-6
2004: 6-6
2005: 1-10
2006: 4-8
2007: 2-10
2008: 3-9
2009: 4-8
2010: 8-5
2011: 5-7
2012: 8-5
2013: 7-6

For this generation, Syracuse football = meh. Sup-par to middle-of-the-pack. It's not cool. It's not s e xy.

I know most here are football diehards, but c'mon. You've got to understand that the students today didn't watch Ernie Davis. They didn't watch Larry Csonka. They didn't watch Don McPherson. They didn't watch Donovan McNabb.

Chances are they didn't watch Syracuse football at all.

And that is what this program needs to overcome. I hate to say it but at this point the program needs some sort of gimmick...something to make SU football cool to talk about. The Syracuse football BRAND (not to be confused with on-field play) is just barely above the life support stage.
college football programs would have a lot more turnover in the standings if the opinions of 18 year olds mattered a lot. the history matters even if kids don't realize it

notre dame sucked for a while but they're still notre dame.

I'm more hopeful. The players aren't as hopeless as the Gerg era. If you start believing that play calling matters, it's an easier fix. There were so many guys that just didn't belong at all back then. Those teams couldn't even move the ball ever

I think in 5 games, we have more yards than we did in 2005. Might have eclipsed it by the end of game 3.

I don't think there were 5000 people in dome at kick off.

You are not far off. That was one of the worst crowds I've seen for a quality opponent since the GRob days.

It isgreat you responded to my response to you in that thread? Oh wait you didn't respond. If people think Shafer is in over his head questioning keeping in the job is a reasonable discussion. Shafer has many pluses and has many negatives. We scrapped to 7-6 last year and are 2-3 this year. Shafer has had 4 games out of 18 where our offense scored 30 points and only 1 of those 4 games was against a P5 opponent.
What are the top 2 wins of the Shafer era? 1. Is a 3 pt win over Minnesota and the 2. Is probably a 20-3 win Maryland which was without its top 2 playmakers.
Tell me you watched that Press conference and you didn't see Greg Robinson. You probably didn't watch it. If keeping Shafer happens and it will I am not going to say it will happen then next year becomes his make or break year. If we don't improve next year it sets us back another 2-3 years. Thus, if. Gross doesn't think Shafer will turn it around then debating his removal now is a debatable issue but go back to giving nothing but putdowns and lectures to people who question Shafer.

The problem with your analysis above is you already called for Shafer to be fired. It was at 730 on Saturday morning on this site. Not gonna debate with that nonsense. If you can't see the ridiculousness in asking for Shafer to be fired 5 games into his second season with a .500 record then I can't help. Sorry.

The problem with your analysis above is you already called for Shafer to be fired. It was at 730 on Saturday morning on this site. Not gonna debate with that nonsense. If you can't see the ridiculousness in asking for Shafer to be fired 5 games into his second season with a .500 record then I can't help. Sorry.
I wrote that he should be removed on the assumption that this wouldn't be turned around and we were going to go 3-9 and that press conference where Shafer really looked like Greg Robinson made me not want to see a 3rd year of this because it would take longer for the next guy to get us turned around. Shafer isn't going to get fired but I feel he isn't the coach to turn this around and if he isn't the guy giving him an extra year sets the program back. I would rather get the next guy in, but we are going to be stuck in mediocrity for the
future. Instead you and a couple of posters want to be positive fine but Shafer really hurt himself comparing sports to ISIS when it's entertainment. He made.a change on the offensive side so he knows their were problems.
People can disagree with me but don't make it like I am calling for a Bill Belichick type coach be fired. Shafer has a lot to still prove.

As far as financial commitment and bitching about the program, I say this to all my friends who have no seasons but constantly bitch at me about everything SU football program. Spend the $99 on seasons and then you can bitch at me all you want. Until then, I don't want to hear it because you are part of the problem. $99 is my only requirement to bitch. My dad has lived in Henderson, NY for 20 years buys two seasons every year and bitches more than anyone I know.

As far as people who spend more than that, trust me when people are calling 2-3 times a year looking for donations, etc and many times you oblige you begin to look at yourself and ask why the F so I do this? $99 seasons are one thing, but when you get into preferred seating, donations, etc I think people get irritated when you see no progress and a program that has digressed.

Anyone can bitch, issue with me is will I listen or not because if you don't write the $99 check I don't want to hear it, just how I operate

As far as financial commitment and bitching about the program, I say this to all my friends who have no seasons but constantly bitch at me about everything SU football program. Spend the $99 on seasons and then you can bitch at me all you want. Until then, I don't want to hear it because you are part of the problem. $99 is my only requirement to bitch. My dad has lived in Henderson, NY for 20 years buys two seasons every year and bitches more than anyone I know.

As far as people who spend more than that, trust me when people are calling 2-3 times a year looking for donations, etc and many times you oblige you begin to look at yourself and ask why the F so I do this? $99 seasons are one thing, but when you get into preferred seating, donations, etc I think people get irritated when you see no progress and a program that has digressed.

Anyone can bitch, issue with me is will I listen or not because if you don't write the $99 check I don't want to hear it, just how I operate

Well said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom