This season was incredibly disappointing | Syracusefan.com

This season was incredibly disappointing

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Compared to what we had for expectations, what a disappointing year. The highs were high, the lows were low. The five game win streak, and then the Duke win, were some of the best moments I've ever had cheering on syracuse.

That said... The big picture here is that this season fell flat, in a big way. It's great we ended up where we did given where we started, but as a whole, disappointing is definitely the best word for it.

That Miami game would really be the perfect fitting for ending this season. A game we started the first half slowly, fought back in the second, encountered missed opportunities (4 point swing off missed dunk, these plays happened often this year), and then still had a chance at the buzzer. Unfortunately not this time.

I'm sick of letting teams dictate tempo. Our offensive philosophy needs an overhaul.

I really can't remember ever being more disappointed in a team, they really laid a giant egg this year.

The offensive situation won't change while JB is here. So be prepared to be disappointed with that again next year.

I still believe we will field a good team next year, less shooting but more grit. Our team this year lacked toughness.

Biggest key is finding an influx of guards between now and the fall.

The offensive stagnation wasn't Boheim's fault. The team was built around shoot first types w no rebounding. If they got hot we won. If not we lost. Roberson underperformed and was never the rebounding force we needed.

The offensive stagnation wasn't Boheim's fault. The team was built around shoot first types w no rebounding. If they got hot we won. If not we lost. Roberson underperformed and was never the rebounding force we needed.
Its Boeheim. Our offense has been bad for 5 years, that's a trend.

I'm not saying JB is a bad coach, he just focuses more on winning with the 2-3. If the 2-3 is bad, we end up with 14 losses.

I think Boheim has done a decent job when one considers the rosters. Most of those teams have ended up being better than initially thought. This team was overrated to begin the year. The team lived on jump shots and let the opposition get endless opportunities by not rebounding.
Its Boeheim. Our offense has been bad for 5 years, that's a trend.

I'm not saying JB is a bad coach, he just focuses more on winning with the 2-3. If the 2-3 is bad, we end up with 14 losses.
nk

I think Boheim has done a decent job when one considers the rosters. Most of those teams have ended up being better than initially thought. This team was overrated to begin the year. The team lived on jump shots and let the opposition get endless opportunities by not rebounding.

nk
do you just misspell his name to be funny? cuz it's definitely funny

and who built it?
Lol very true. Boeheim is old school and never foresees early departures. He scrambled to bring in scoring after Mali left. We got one guy who lived on contested jump shots, another who lived on open jump shots, and a frosh who shot the ball every touch. None of them excelled on D.

In terms of recruiting the staff's only miss this year was Huerter but nobody knew he'd grow 4 inches before the start of the season. Otherwise they got who they could get.

Whats really disappointing is the team now would beat St. John's and gtown. at the dome, and most likely uconn at msg. We win 2 of those games and we're a lock right now. To me this is a tournament team, it's just too bad it took 2 months for jb to figure out the best lineup.

Whats really disappointing is the team now would beat St. John's and gtown. at the dome, and most likely uconn at msg. We win 2 of those games and we're a lock right now. To me this is a tournament team, it's just too bad it took 2 months for jb to figure out the best lineup.
We certainly have the talent and the fire power. Where we lack is basketball iq and grit. So many dumb plays through the year in bad situations. I believe this is a tournament team as well.

The offensive situation won't change while JB is here. So be prepared to be disappointed with that again next year.

I still believe we will field a good team next year, less shooting but more grit. Our team this year lacked toughness.

Biggest key is finding an influx of guards between now and the fall.
This team hasn't lost 14 games to date because of its offense.

This team hasn't lost 14 games to date because of its offense.
You're right, but our offense still isn't very good for long stretches. Andrew White masks a lot of issues at times with incredibly tough made shots.

Given the hand we were dealt this year with the penalties and early defections, I am actually surprised that we were able to muster 18 wins. After the UCan't, Johnnies and Gtown (sucks) fiascos, I was expecting much much worse. We are a very spoiled fan base and I continue to believe that a lot of folks are underestimating the effects of the NCAA sanctions on this program. For those hoping for JB's retirement, you will get your wish soon enough but take a moment to reflect on what happened with Brad Dougherty at UNC after Dean Smith's departure. The grass isn't always greener.

Given the hand we were dealt this year with the penalties and early defections, I am actually surprised that we were able to muster 18 wins. After the UCan't, Johnnies and Gtown (sucks) fiascos, I was expecting much much worse. We are a very spoiled fan base and I continue to believe that a lot of folks are underestimating the effects of the NCAA sanctions on this program. For those hoping for JB's retirement, you will get your wish soon enough but take a moment to reflect on what happened with Brad Dougherty at UNC after Dean Smith's departure. The grass isn't always greener.
Go read the Iggy awards post above and say you are surprised.

Ex post facto your post tries to make this year appear to be a success. It had been a mediocre underachieving season.
This season has sucked JB called this team special preseason. He constructed the roster. He has built the program up but the school has stayed loyal to him as well.

He is 72 we aren't looking good next year. I want Hop to get his chance.

I just feel bad for Gillon and White. They came here from lesser programs fully expecting to play in the NCAA Tournament and make a run to showcase their talents on the biggest stage. Instead, they found themselves surrounded by the same bums they played with at those lesser programs. Sad.

I just feel bad for Gillon and White. They came here from lesser programs fully expecting to play in the NCAA Tournament and make a run to showcase their talents on the biggest stage. Instead, they found themselves surrounded by the same bums they played with at those lesser programs. Sad.

Bums? People on this board have to relax.

They are part of the team too. I would say Gillon's poor play has cost us a few games. Sure he's hit some big shots, but he has been inconsistent at best. His first half vs. Miami was the main reason we were losing at half.

And just to add, I don't see Nebraska or Colorado state anywhere close to the bubble. They upgraded facilities and experiences. They got to play in some big dome games. I'm sure neither has a single regret.

The season did contain what I feel was the lowest low of the Boeheim era. St. Johns. The only game in SU history when a team literally gave up on the court.

I'm going with that March 2006 - 40 point loss to Depaul. That is the standard bearer for ugliness in my mind. At least the St. John's loss could be attributed to being early in the season before we had things "figured out".

Bums? People on this board have to relax.
Someone exaggerated on an internet message board!

ae3c8a4a6c7f9b9f82bab4c1bfb068cb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom