Time for a change ASAP | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time for a change ASAP

Silly post.
No one who's a fan of SU can be "OK" with this type of performance, not to mention the state of our program this last decade or so.
The difference is I'm not here acting SHOCKED...SHOCKED, I tell ya- this this happened today.
I'm as upset as anyone. I'm just not gonna contribute to the hue and cry that frankly serves no other purpose than to vent.
Understandable, of course- just not my choice at this time.
Fair enough though no need for the "silly post" comment. Perhaps I misinterpreted your post then as I thought you were defending today's performance by saying you expected it and it's no big deal. Sorry about that.

Shafer just said in the presser that it is Dungey's head. I am so beyond furious I can barely speak. So I type. Oh he also said he feels bad he left him in but he wanted to go for the comeback... Down 31 in the 4th. Really??!!!

DoctorBombay said:
Silly post. No one who's a fan of SU can be "OK" with this type of performance, not to mention the state of our program this last decade or so...EVER. The difference is I'm not here acting SHOCKED...SHOCKED, I tell ya- that this happened today. I'm as upset as anyone. I'm just not gonna contribute to the hue and cry that frankly serves no other purpose than to vent. Understandable, of course- just not my choice at this time.

Who's shocked? Seriously.

This game was different...
  • USF was an out of bounds hit away from an SU come back
  • UVA coulda, shoulda, been a win
  • Pitt came down to the final drive
In each of these games SU was in it, with a chance to win.

The Louisville game? Not so much. Shortly into the 2nd half it was over. Disappointing, disgusting... another nail in the coffin.

This game was different...
  • USF was an out of bounds hit away from an SU come back
  • UVA coulda, shoulda, been a win
  • Pitt came down to the final drive
In each of these games SU was in it, with a chance to win.

The Louisville game? Not so much. Shortly into the 2nd half it was over. Disappointing, disgusting... another nail in the coffin.

To me it appeared to be over half way through the 2nd quarter!

Btw- you think you're frustrated now?
Wait till Coyle announces that HCSS is coming back for another year, which I FULLY expect him to do.
Today's game meant little to the "big picture", IMO- because the result was NOT unexpected. After we get our doors blown off by Clemson next week, the same posts will pop up talking about how bad HCSS is, and yet I still believe Coyle will bring him back.
That's me accepting that THAT'S the situation as it stands right now. It doesn't make me less of a fan to not come and participate in this amen chorus. It just means I'm resigned to where we are as a program right now. Call it apathy at this point.

Last edited:
Fair enough though no need for the "silly post" comment. Perhaps I misinterpreted your post then as I thought you were defending today's performance by saying you expected it and it's no big deal. Sorry about that.
No problem, and likewise "my bad".
We're all frustrated & tempers are short.
Another reason I try not to post on days like this...of which we've all seen too many.:bang:

I feel bad for how pathetically low some of your expectations are.

We just got our doors blown off by a mediocre team and the excuse is "hey, I expected it, chill out everyone. Four more years!".

I really think some of you think head coaches should be employed for life.

I think people think they are volunteer workers.

Silly post.
No one who's a fan of SU can be "OK" with this type of performance, not to mention the state of our program this last decade or so...EVER.
The difference is I'm not here acting SHOCKED...SHOCKED, I tell ya- that this happened today.
I'm as upset as anyone. I'm just not gonna contribute to the hue and cry that frankly serves no other purpose than to vent.
I'm not shocked. The outcome, and how it went down, is exactly what I expected. I am certain I'm not alone.

And THAT is the problem. It has been obvious to some for a while that Shafer is in way over his head. More and more are coming around to that view as the evidence piles up and is edging into irrefutable. The frustration is that Shafer remains and is able to inflict more damage to the program.

Btw- you think you're frustrated now?
Wait till Coyle announces that HCSS is coming back for another year, which I FULLY expect him to do.
Today's game meant little to the "big picture", IMO- because the result was NOT unexpected. After we get our doors blown off by Clemson next week, the same posts will pop up talking about how bad HCSS is, and yet I still believe Coyle will bring him back.
That's me accepting that THAT'S the situation as it stands right now. It doesn't make me less of a fan to not come and participate in this amen chorus. It just means I'm resigned to where we are as a program right now. Call it apathy at this point.
I can't think of one excuse coyle can use to keep shafer. There isn't a single one. If coyle brings him back there won't be a fan left. This is at the same point as grob and maybe worse then p, fan and support wise anyways

I can't think of one excuse coyle can use to keep shafer. There isn't a single one. If coyle brings him back there won't be a fan left. This is at the same point as grob and maybe worse then p, fan and support wise anyways
Yeah. There's zero to sell.

leftytg said:
I'm not shocked. The outcome, and how it went down, is exactly what I expected. I am certain I'm not alone. And THAT is the problem. It has been obvious to some for a while that Shafer is in way over his head. More and more are coming around to that view as the evidence piles up and is edging into irrefutable. The frustration is that Shafer remains and is able to inflict more damage to the program.
Ditto
I hate to admit i gave gerg too much time but fool me once...
I knew this game we would come out and get my hopes up and the rest would be watching a balloon slowly deflate
It is no longer entertaining or even piquing my interest
Love shafer but he is finished. If we want to play with the big boys lets act like one. Rip the bandaid off tonight and move on

This really is sad. I've liked Shafer from the day he got here but this is looking unrecoverable.

I said when they were 3-1 this team was heading for a losing season and got attacked for it. Things like the "offense will be fine, book it". All the people who didn't want to hear it are turning on him hard.

The single biggest indictment is that they haven't improved as the season went on, they are actually regressing on both sides of the ball. I get they are young and small, but this has gotten worse every week.

The school has been kicking the spending can down the road. They need to decide what they want to do.

If this is going to be just a basketball school, then let people know and folks can adjust to being the Kansas of the ACC, and if that's the case no sense in dropping half a bill on a new facility then, spend it on something useful.

I'm amazed that anybody could be surprised by the result.

Away game.

Two TD underdog.

Key defensive players out.

Playing a physical defense.

This was entirely expected.

So the hue and cry is over the top.

He has no idea what's going on out there...that fake FG? Not having a backup ready in a route? A chance to run clock with a lead in the 2nd? He's not a HC.

This.
It just seems like all this beotching and moaning is more about frustration than anything else.
Is anyone shocked that we shat the bed ...AGAIN...AT Louisville...especially after these last few weeks?
Enough already. This game was not a shock in the least...and the whining about it IS over the top, IMO.

So in other words, since it was expected that we were going to suck and then we did suck, then there's no point in whining? Alright then. Let's just be content with our eternal sucking then.

He has no idea what's going on out there...that fake FG? Not having a backup ready in a route? A chance to run clock with a lead in the 2nd? He's not a HC.
What got me about that fake field goal was not only did he take his playmaker dungey out of the game for a kicker but he also was waving around the damn play call sheet around like a fool telegraphing was was already an obvious fake. Punting on 4and 1. That stupid fg attempt then another game with a bone headed end of half play calling. My god even the announcers called him out on it. Two weeks in a row now.

Silly post.
No one who's a fan of SU can be "OK" with this type of performance, not to mention the state of our program this last decade or so...EVER.
The difference is I'm not here acting SHOCKED...SHOCKED, I tell ya- that this happened today.
Here is what you should be SHOCKED...SHOCKED about. Game after game, he makes really foolish decisions. He can't manage the clock. He can't manage game situations. He is a great guy. No one debates that. But he has no feel for the game. Today, a ridiculous 52 yard field goal attempt. The fake field goal. At this point, after we have done it time and time again, besides us if it was tried against us, who was going to be fooled by that? One by one, those of us that have been behind him, have been forced by him and his decisions to move to the other side of the field.

At the half, I turned it off. Went for a walk with my boy. So sad to hear about Dungey. APATHY.

Coyle's a fool if he doesn't make a move the next couple of weeks. Perfect opportunity for him to start fresh.

GoSU96 said:
This really is sad. I've liked Shafer from the day he got here but this is looking unrecoverable. I said when they were 3-1 this team was heading for a losing season and got attacked for it. Things like the "offense will be fine, book it". All the people who didn't want to hear it are turning on him hard. The single biggest indictment is that they haven't improved as the season went on, they are actually regressing on both sides of the ball. I get they are young and small, but this has gotten worse every week. The school has been kicking the spending can down the road. They need to decide what they want to do. If this is going to be just a basketball school, then let people know and folks can adjust to being the Kansas of the ACC, and if that's the case no sense in dropping half a bill on a new facility then, spend it on something useful.

Good post.

The sad thing is that even the hoops schools who traditionally made little effort to have a competitive football program have invested in recent years. I just can't imagine we hired the AD we did only to skimp on his head coaching hire.

To me the issue is lack of talent & production coming from the older classes left from the Marrone era. Where are the senior WR's that are left over from Marrone? Where are the senior RB's left over from the Marrone era? Do you think Nick Robinson & other upper classmen recruited by Marrone are going to the NFL? Are any Marrone recruits knocking it out of the park? Oh yeah let's start Austin Wilson at QB...that's what Marrone left Shafer.

Truth be told the cupboards were not exactly stacked with ACC talent for Shafer to build on. Last I heard we were getting 70% of offensive production from Freshmen.

Yes Shafer has made some in game mistakes, I get it, but it's not the case that he took over a team that was stacked with talent and blown it...talent level has been the real rebuilding exercise and we are finally getting those guys on the field.

I feel bad for how pathetically low some of your expectations are.

We just got our doors blown off by a mediocre team and the excuse is "hey, I expected it, chill out everyone. Four more years!".

I really think some of you think head coaches should be employed for life.
Better yet, when people say we were a 12 point dog.

Do people think or use their brains? I wonder why we are a 12 point dog against a .500 team with a few banged up qbs.

Ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom