Timeframe | Syracusefan.com

Timeframe

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
I hope Mark Coyle has this wrapped up as close to the conclusion of the BC game as possible. And, I have no reason to think he wouldn't. The longer the process gets drawn out, the worse position I believe it puts Syracuse in.

1) The announcement the week of the BC game. It's been said that the information was leaked, so Syracuse moved to get in front of it. I'm fine with that. I'm even secretly hoping that the reason is because we've got something largely put into place or have our candidacy options whittled down. Typically, history says no to this, and I agree for the most part.

2) If the search is just now getting underway, which I wholeheartedly hope that it is not, then I don't like our bargaining position. When the process gets drawn out, there's typically only one variable that changes with coaching candidates, and that variable is something that I believe most here think we have the short stack of in comparison to our counterparts.

The timeframe on this whole thing leaves me optimistic that some moves have already been made. If that's the case, we are much more likely to get the upper tier candidates that we're seeking. But, as I stated above, if we get past conf. Champiinship week with no announcement, I'm going to start getting nervous.

I want to be clear, I'm a big proponent of Mark Coyle. The thing is, Mark's swimming in bloodier waters than he has before. His last decision on a Football HC was nothing like this. He's in the deep end of the pool and one false step could put us at the end of a long line of teams seeking candidates.

The sooner, the better. Be decisive, go get your guy.

Interesting to note, per the timeframe, that Oregon's last game is Friday, rather than Saturday. And I'm not 100% sure if it's true, but I was told Coyle did not go to the Bahamas for the basketball tournament, but stayed in Syracuse instead. That sounds to me like he's getting ready to get this taken care of sooner than later.

Agree, guys. If there is not an announcement by the end of the weekend, that probably means one (or more?) candidate said, 'No thanks.'

orange79 said:
Agree, guys. If there is not an announcement by the end of the weekend, that probably means one (or more?) candidate said, 'No thanks.'

Do we think they'd make an announcement before next week? Hard to believe they'd do anything this weekend.

Do we think they'd make an announcement before next week? Hard to believe they'd do anything this weekend.
Good point. Interesting choice - get out in front of it, or wait until Monday-ish so you don't hit the holiday news cycle. I would think they would want to announce sooner than later and let the media catch up (and to avoid leaks). :noidea:

Anyone remember at least a month ago there was a poster who said his friend was really close with Ed Orgeron. He also said that after the LSU game Coyle remarked to EO, "we'll be talking later", or something to that effect. The poster got blasted because at the time nobody knew if Shafer was going to be let go or not but even those that thought it was very possible, EO talk made no sense at the time.

Who the hell was that poster, anyone remember?

Good post. More than most years the coaching carousel could get chaotic this year. LSU could make this year crazy. It could put Jimbo and Dabo in play as nutty as that sounds.

If, as reported, Herman goes to South Carolina and Fuentes to Va Tech, Houston and Memphis enters the market in our segment. Guys like Babers, Campbell, Rule, etc will have many more options. Looks like a coordinator may be Our only shot and the better ones will be pricey also.

Hopefully, we are far along with Frost, if he is Coyle's guy.

Anyone remember at least a month ago there was a poster who said his friend was really close with Ed Orgeron. He also said that after the LSU game Coyle remarked to EO, "we'll be talking later", or something to that effect. The poster got blasted because at the time nobody knew if Shafer was going to be let go or not but even those that thought it was very possible, EO talk made no sense at the time.

Who the hell was that poster, anyone remember?
One day I will teach you the secrets of using Search on here grasshopper. It was soocher4

One day I will teach you the secrets of using Search on here grasshopper. It was soocher4

LOL, I don't know why, it didn't even cross my mind. I'll blame it on the morning and pre-thanksgiving.

My guess is by Monday we will have a new coach. No inside information but like many here I think this has been in the works for a long time. In addition, with other coaching vacancies starting to fill up I think it will bump up the time line. I don't get the sense that we are starting from scratch. Coyle has taken the recruiting test, he is clearly a step ahead.

I hope Mark Coyle has this wrapped up as close to the conclusion of the BC game as possible. And, I have no reason to think he wouldn't. The longer the process gets drawn out, the worse position I believe it puts Syracuse in.

1) The announcement the week of the BC game. It's been said that the information was leaked, so Syracuse moved to get in front of it. I'm fine with that. I'm even secretly hoping that the reason is because we've got something largely put into place or have our candidacy options whittled down. Typically, history says no to this, and I agree for the most part.

2) If the search is just now getting underway, which I wholeheartedly hope that it is not, then I don't like our bargaining position. When the process gets drawn out, there's typically only one variable that changes with coaching candidates, and that variable is something that I believe most here think we have the short stack of in comparison to our counterparts.

The timeframe on this whole thing leaves me optimistic that some moves have already been made. If that's the case, we are much more likely to get the upper tier candidates that we're seeking. But, as I stated above, if we get past conf. Champiinship week with no announcement, I'm going to start getting nervous.

I want to be clear, I'm a big proponent of Mark Coyle. The thing is, Mark's swimming in bloodier waters than he has before. His last decision on a Football HC was nothing like this. He's in the deep end of the pool and one false step could put us at the end of a long line of teams seeking candidates.

Frost is quite aware of SU and has interest. But, at this stage, this is not about Coyle making up his mind. Or about getting a contract approved. Frost has other schools interested in him. If you are Frost, aren't you going to want to slow this down a bit? See who has interest. See who reaches out, etc. (I am sure some/most have already). And as someone stated above, the LSU opening (when/if it happens) is really going to throw this game of musical coaching chairs into chaos. Another game changer is if Georgia opens, which I don't think it will, but what if GT beats them by 3 touchdowns this weekend in Atlanta? The USC hire could flip the grid too, depending on who they reel in. My underlying point: don't expect anything on Monday. This might take some time and don't be fixated solely on Frost. He's a real candidate, but not the only legit candidate. As an aside, Jimbo is very very likely NOT going to LSU from what I was told. Too many speed bumps in play to allow that to happen easily.

Well said - sooner means Coyle is a man with a plan, longer it goes means we are either at the end of the line for hot candidates or will hire a retread and spin it best we can at the press conference.

Frost is quite aware of SU and has interest. But, at this stage, this is not about Coyle making up his mind. Or about getting a contract approved. Frost has other schools interested in him. If you are Frost, aren't you going to want to slow this down a bit? See who has interest. See who reaches out, etc. (I am sure some/most have already). And as someone stated above, the LSU opening (when/if it happens) is really going to throw this game of musical coaching chairs into chaos. Another game changer is if Georgia opens, which I don't think it will, but what if GT beats them by 3 touchdowns this weekend in Atlanta? The USC hire could flip the grid too, depending on who they reel in. My underlying point: don't expect anything on Monday. This might take some time and don't be fixated solely on Frost. He's a real candidate, but not the only legit candidate. As an aside, Jimbo is very very likely NOT going to LSU from what I was told. Too many speed bumps in play to allow that to happen easily.
That might all be true, but Coyle wants to get this taken care of quickly. He won't let any candidates dictate the timeframe too much.

That's my whole point, and it's not Frost specific, if our candidates want to slow down the process then it's going to put us in a worse negotiating position.

My guess is by Monday we will have a new coach. No inside information but like many here I think this has been in the works for a long time. In addition, with other coaching vacancies starting to fill up I think it will bump up the time line. I don't get the sense that we are starting from scratch. Coyle has taken the recruiting test, he is clearly a step ahead.

Agreed. Don't think we hear anything until at least Monday. Let everyone enjoy their win for the weekend.

That's my whole point, and it's not Frost specific, if our candidates want to slow down the process then it's going to put us in a worse negotiating position.
This is where I think it helps us that Coyle has an established relationship with guys like Frost and Sanford. Wherever they go, they have to buy into the AD as well as wanting to be the coach. They have already bought into Coyle, so I really think it helps us potentially expedite things.

It doesn't matter that we get a "top tier" candidate. It ONLY matters that we get the candidate that Coyle now wants.
Exactly, Coyle's top tier guys? I'm not talking about what everybody thinks, who gives a about that, I'm talking about what the AD wants.

CuseLegacy said:

Yep, that was soocher that tossed that tidbit out as well as who was in the top tier and some other names being considered. Soocher is someone to listen too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom