Today is day for Portal entries right? | Syracusefan.com

Today is day for Portal entries right?

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
I dont get it but somehow we are currently over by like 2 scholarships. So are we expecting 5+ entries announced today?

I thought we'd see more at some point already. Kinda surprised it hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure some will hit, and it sounds like some guys are waiting to see how things go in the spring.

I dont get it but somehow we are currently over by like 2 scholarships. So are we expecting 5+ entries announced today?
During a new HC's first year, some players can be excused from the team while maintaining their academic scholarships at their school in order to graduate. There may very well be some players on the current roster that have opted for that rather than enter the portal. Or there may be more portal entries today.

During a new HC's first year, some players can be excused from the team while maintaining their academic scholarships at their school in order to graduate. There may very well be some players on the current roster that have opted for that rather than enter the portal. Or there may be more portal entries today.

THIS.

And - we likely won't find out about many of them, until the first Spring roster comes out.

Now, it's possible that some players may still enter the Portal today, or have recently, and it's just not public, yet.

I've said before - there's zero chance Fran & crew are making all these offers, scheduling OV's, etc, if they don't have the slots available for the potential inbound talent.

The numbers always work out.
Always.

THIS and commits don’t count against your numbers, enrollees do.

We have committed players who will not be enrolling until the summer. Those players do not count against scholarship limits until they enroll and attend classes.

15.5.6.3.1 Midyear Replacement. The financial aid of a counter who graduates at midyear or who graduates during the previous academic year (including summer) may be provided to another student-athlete and the replaced student-athlete shall not be a counter for the remainder of that academic year. In bowl subdivision football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year to the maximum number of overall counters (85 total counters). In championship subdivision football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year that equals the maximum number of overall equivalencies or overall counters. (Revised: 4/20/99 effective 8/1/99, 6/8/99, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 8/2/05, 12/15/06, 1/14/08 effective 8/1/08, 4/2/10, 1/15/11, 11/14/22, 10/4/23)

IANAL and have no idea what this means, but I'm guessing someone smarter than me could figure out how to use this by-law to carry more than 85 scholarship players through spring football, and then trim the roster down to 85 before graduation in May.

THIS and commits don’t count against your numbers, enrollees do.

We have committed players who will not be enrolling until the summer. Those players do not count against scholarship limits until they enroll and attend classes.
Yes that's also a very good point as well. That gives Fran the flexibility to have kids in Spring ball for evaluation that may not ultimately be with the team in the fall. Something to definitely monitor as we move into Spring ball.

15.5.6.3.1 Midyear Replacement. The financial aid of a counter who graduates at midyear or who graduates during the previous academic year (including summer) may be provided to another student-athlete and the replaced student-athlete shall not be a counter for the remainder of that academic year. In bowl subdivision football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year to the maximum number of overall counters (85 total counters). In championship subdivision football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year that equals the maximum number of overall equivalencies or overall counters. (Revised: 4/20/99 effective 8/1/99, 6/8/99, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 8/2/05, 12/15/06, 1/14/08 effective 8/1/08, 4/2/10, 1/15/11, 11/14/22, 10/4/23)

IANAL and have no idea what this means, but I'm guessing someone smarter than me could figure out how to use this by-law to carry more than 85 scholarship players through spring football, and then trim the roster down to 85 before graduation in May.

18 guys in the portal + at least 6 guys graduating = at least 24 outgoing before Spring Ball starts.

11 Jan enrollees + 9 transfers = 20 incoming before Spring Ball starts.

We'll be at 80 players on the team in the Spring.

There's another portal window that opens in April.

The numbers always work out.

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Source or just your mathematical deduction?
Don't think a source is needed. It just makes sense. Some guys won't take to the new schemes, some guys won't like where they're projected on the depth chart. Some might not be bought in. Some guys might accept the option to just finish school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom