Today's game was an indictment of meathead FB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Today's game was an indictment of meathead FB

Ha. Pardon me for being happy that we won, and excited about the future. And thrilled that we aren't punting from the opponents 40 yard line like we did last year. Or running 7 straight goal line dive plays Like we did vs Iowa under he who shall not be named. Or kicking a FG down 7 with under 3 min on the clock.

I'm also thrilled our coach knows how to run a 7 yard out with :06 left before half to change a 54 yard fg to a 47 yard fg.

Or throw the ball backed up against our endzone instead of getting really conservative and playing field position in a one possession game late in the 4th.

You're either 10 years old or have a short memory of how our offense operated for 15 years.

Again, I'll apologize for being happy today and we can all go back to being miserable.

Sorry I ruined your night.
The seven yard pass with 6 seconds was like a cool wind at your back after suffering with what the for so long.

Last edited:
To be fair they went for four 4th downs and converted 3 of them. Now their meathead kicking the FG down 3 in the 3rd was huge for us and killed them.

I thought Dino in hindsight would have gone for the 4th and 1 in the first quarter but oh well it worked.

That UConn staff is laughably bad and good luck to them. Diaco is nuts on the sideline.

Diaco is a pretty good coach.
What was meathead about kicking a fg in the 3rd down 3?
What?

AMEN, when i get on the offense i get hammered on this board. After 14-0 the offense bogged down just like 17-0 against usf. We still dont use the middle of the field enough with irv and ish. Lastly, is there a play within these 15-20 that will move the pocket for our athletic qb? ED was good and ET was great today, but we are still leaving 3 tds out there.

Amen. I get that this O is a learning job this year but one has to wonder when we can score 17 unanswered points against a good team and 14 points against a bad team and still stall. We are not using the middle of the field enough IMHO. It was pretty much wide open all day. ED is clearly looking for AET on the perimeter as the primary and I'm OK with that. AET is a think of beauty. It's working. I just think the running game could do a lot better. I'm not sold on Riley as the returner.

Ish88888 said:
AMEN, when i get on the offense i get hammered on this board. After 14-0 the offense bogged down just like 17-0 against usf. We still dont use the middle of the field enough with irv and ish. Lastly, is there a play within these 15-20 that will move the pocket for our athletic qb? ED was good and ET was great today, but we are still leaving 3 tds out there.

There's no doubt there is a lot to fix on both sides of the ball, but the game day coaching philosophy feels light years ahead of what we've suffered through for at least 2 decades.

Even marrone's good year had its share of What moments.

Amen. I get that this O is a learning job this year but one has to wonder when we can score 17 unanswered points against a good team and 14 points against a bad team and still stall. We are not using the middle of the field enough IMHO. It was pretty much wide open all day. ED is clearly looking for AET on the perimeter as the primary and I'm OK with that. AET is a think of beauty. It's working. I just think the running game could do a lot better. I'm not sold on Riley as the returner.

You're going to be waiting a long time for plays down the middle of the field. The outside WR run screens or deep down the sideline. I think some of it is due to how out wide they line up and some is by design.

Agree 100% on the running game. Can't help but see Strickland at S next season with Fredericks, Neal, and a freshman manning the RB spot.

CusefanATL said:
Diaco is a pretty good coach. What was meathead about kicking a fg in the 3rd down 3? What?

It was a conservative by the book decision. I was certainly more than happy to concede 3 there. Our D was gassed and it was 4th and 1 and they had converted a 4th and one earlier in the drive.

You're going to be waiting a long time for plays down the middle of the field. The outside WR run screens or deep down the sideline. I think some of it is due to how out wide they line up and some is by design.

Agree 100% on the running game. Can't help but see Strickland at S next season with Fredericks, Neal, and a freshman manning the RB spot.

I don't think I'm going to be waiting that long. When they get the TE they want, look out. Mismatch city is the Baylor game.

Ha. Pardon me for being happy that we won, and excited about the future. And thrilled that we aren't punting from the opponents 40 yard line like we did last year. Or running 7 straight goal line dive plays Like we did vs Iowa under he who shall not be named. Or kicking a FG down 7 with under 3 min on the clock.

A. In fairness the reason it was 7 stops at the 1 was because of a PI and we ran an option - so there were only 5 dive plays :bang:
B. who kicked a FG down 7 under 3 left?

A. In fairness the reason it was 7 stops at the 1 was because of a PI and we ran an option - so there were only 5 dive plays :bang:
B. who kicked a FG down 7 under 3 left?
B. P

B. P

what game?

My guess is we had all 3 To's and it was at least a 4th and 10 - but even that is a very NFL conservative call WITH the 2 min warning.

I'm also thrilled our coach knows how to run a 7 yard out with :06 left before half to change a 54 yard fg to a 47 yard fg.

Or throw the ball backed up against our endzone instead of getting really conservative and playing field position in a one possession game late in the 4th.

You're either 10 years old or have a short memory of how our offense operated for 15 years.

Again, I'll apologize for being happy today and we can all go back to being miserable.

Sorry I ruined your night.

NAk6C.gif

what game?

My guess is we had all 3 To's and it was at least a 4th and 10 - but even that is a very NFL conservative call WITH the 2 min warning.

2000 season at Boston College. I was at that game. He also left Nunes in the game after a bad first half which was capped by one of the worst INT's I've ever seen in the red zone. I believe the following week coachpmustgo.com was launched.

what game?

Boston College in 2000. Same game Troy Nunes threw maybe the worst end zone INT of all time.

2000 season at Boston College. I was at that game. He also left Nunes in the game after a bad first half which was capped by one of the worst INT's I've ever seen in the red zone. I believe the following week coachpmustgo.com was launched.

You beat me to it. I was so livid on that INT.

OrangeDW said:
Boston College in 2000. Same game Troy Nunes threw maybe the worst end zone INT of all time.
correction. There was 4:46 left in the game, and we had scored 13 points in the game.

One team worried about time of possession and field position.

The other team completely neutralized both factors by repeatedly going deep - with success.

Be honest, are we all not giggling at the notion that UCONN ran the ball 4 straight times with a chance to tie?

Or that they kicked a fg down three on a 4th and 1 deep in our territory when our d was gassed?

We could tilt the field in one play, they had to successfully execute 8-9 plays to tilt it against a defense that, let's face it, isn't great.

Our defense played better today partly because they had less to worry about. Find QB, hit QB.

It's freeing to be a fan of Dino's philosophy. Can't wait till we deepen the roster, get more reps and Dino's players here.

Great post, Jake. Also important to keep in perspective that we were:
  • Playing our first road game
  • Playing without three starting OL
Despite uconn keeping it close [felt like we could have really blown them out, and would have if we'd made some FGs], this was an example of two programs going in two completely different directions as a function of the coaching decisions each respective program has made. Felt like we were watching one of OUR games from the past 10 years.

If our defense wasn't a sieve, we would have throttled uconn today.

And you are right: it is liberating to see the complete philosophical change that Dino Babers has brought to SU football. Just reading this thread is a reminder that a significant portion of the fanbase is going to need some time to acclimate to modern collegiate offensive football.

It won't be long before we have ZERO concerns about playing peer programs like this. Our personnel might not be optimized on either side of the ball--yet--but we've already left our northeastern contemporaries in the rear view mirror.

Last edited:
Great post, Jake. Also important to keep in perspective that we were:
  • Playing our first road game
  • Playing without three starting OL
Despite uconn keeping it close [felt like we could have really blown them out, and would have if we'd made some FGs], this was an example of two programs going in two completely different directions as a function of the coaching decisions each respective program has made. If our defense wasn't a sieve, we would have throttled uconn today.

And you are right: it is liberating to see the complete philosophical change that Dino Babers has brought to SU football. Just reading this thread is a reminder that a significant portion of the fanbase is going to need some time to acclimate to modern collegiate offensive football.

It won't be long before we have ZERO concerns about playing peer programs like this. Our personnel might not be optimized on either side of the ball--yet--but we've already left our northeastern contemporaries in the rear view mirror.
And we lost Dowells, Cordy, Whitner and Samuels. I was happy we did as well as we did on defense. I was worried we'd lost Hudson mentally when he got torched and pulled in the Colgate game. Franklin and Parris were monsters today.

And we lost Dowells, Cordy, Whitner and Samuels. I was happy we did as well as we did on defense. I was worried we'd lost Hudson mentally when he got torched and pulled in the Colgate game. Franklin and Parris were monsters today.

No doubt re: Hudson -- he had a big game today, which is I believe something that he can build upon. Very nice showing for a young man who'd struggled earlier in coverage.

The short pass to Ish to turn a 54 harder into a 47ish yarder was so refreshing. I know we have some younger fans so here's my approximation of how the coaches in my lifetime would have handled this:

-P believed that all drives to end the half would result in eleven ACL tears and a pick six if you didn't down it. He would have multiplied the play clock by three and figured out how many timeouts they had. If he could get in with the same score, he did it, no matter the field position, quality of opponent, borderline NFL Hall of Famer as his QB, etc. 14-14 at the Half. Nick Sudano 6 carries, 5 yards. McNabb throws 11 times, completing 10.

-Gerg would have looked at the field goal, seen the uprights more than 50 yards away and realized that the other uprights were closer. Laughing to himself at what a genius he is, he would have had his kicker lineup and kick to the other uprights, giving UConn three more points. 26-0 UConn at the Half but some guys were "really flashing out there", so we'll be totally fine.

-I feel like Marrone probably runs Jerome Smith on a draw or just tries the 54 yarder.

-Shafer really wants to punt it on first down and give his defense a shot to hold UConn down for the four seconds remaining in the half but he knows that the eight seconds of Time of Possession could prove critical later on. He QB sneaks into the line, where Dungey takes a shot to the head, sets up a 53 yarder, which is made but personal foul on us negates it. 14-14 at the Half.

Be honest, are we all not giggling at the notion that UCONN ran the ball 4 straight times with a chance to tie?
I'm not giggling. Apoplectic was probably what I felt at the time.
Congrats on the W. I figured it would be a battle of your passing game versus our poor pass D and our running versus what looked to be a bad run D. But in the end you were better at your game than we were at ours. You deserved to win.
I wouldn't necessarily call what we do meathead football, but I will say it's not very entertaining and we're not very effective at it. Hopefully there will be changes.
See you at MSG in December.

Congrats on the W. I figured it would be a battle of your passing game versus our poor pass D and our running versus what looked to be a bad run D. But in the end you were better at your game than we were at ours. You deserved to win.
I wouldn't necessarily call what we do meathead football, but I will say it's not very entertaining and we're not very effective at it. Hopefully there will be changes.
Believe me - it was meathead. We've done meathead here for a long time. We know what it looks like. :) Starts with the TOP talk, field position, etc. Then kicking the FG down 3. Credit for going for it on those 4th downs, but you could tell he was cringing doing it. ;)

Nothing wrong with meathead FB - when you have equal/superior talent. But when you don't, look out. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Very nice post . Wish UCONN was in the ACC , but apparntly I'm the only one on this board who feels that way . Don't get me wrong though , I really want to hate you as a rival .

Very nice post . Wish UCONN was in the ACC , but apparntly I'm the only one on this board who feels that way . Don't get me wrong though , I really want to hate you as a rival .
I'm actually on board with them joining the ACC now. I'll be honest UConn does a lot of things better then we do for a game experience. Feels much more big time.

I'm with you. I wanted the ACC to lock up the whole east coast.

I'm actually on board with them joining the ACC now. I'll be honest UConn does a lot of things better then we do for a game experience. Feels much more big time.
The reason everybody around here is do elated with defeating them is because they know they are a true rival for SU . If it had been some other mid-tier G5 team , it wouldn't have been even noticed .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom