Today's game was an indictment of meathead FB | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Today's game was an indictment of meathead FB

I'm actually on board with them joining the ACC now. I'll be honest UConn does a lot of things better then we do for a game experience. Feels much more big time.
Really? That is surprising. I guess the quality of play drags the overall feel down to sub-par. For those of you that made the trip, hopefully you enjoyed the visit and didn't run into too many douches. They're everywhere at every stadium.
On our board the discussion is that the coach coaches scared. The offense doesn't open up until we're down by a number of scores. He has been historically bad at time management. Given the buyout and our G5 funds, he'll probably be around for at least another season. They'll probably change the OC first and hopefully give him some autonomy.

UCHusky90 said:
Really? That is surprising. I guess the quality of play drags the overall feel down to sub-par. For those of you that made the trip, hopefully you enjoyed the visit and didn't run into too many douches. They're everywhere at every stadium. On our board the discussion is that the coach coaches scared. The offense doesn't open up until we're down by a number of scores. He has been historically bad at time management. Given the buyout and our G5 funds, he'll probably be around for at least another season. They'll probably change the OC first and hopefully give him some autonomy.

Sounds slightly familiar.

Really? That is surprising. I guess the quality of play drags the overall feel down to sub-par. For those of you that made the trip, hopefully you enjoyed the visit and didn't run into too many douches. They're everywhere at every stadium.
On our board the discussion is that the coach coaches scared. The offense doesn't open up until we're down by a number of scores. He has been historically bad at time management. Given the buyout and our G5 funds, he'll probably be around for at least another season. They'll probably change the OC first and hopefully give him some autonomy.
UCONN had the game at Navy won and Navy almost never loses at home . The O-line has to make a play there happen . They weren't focused and let those smart cadet guys get the jump on them .

The seven yard pass with 6 seconds was like a cool wind at your back after suffering with what the for so long.
And Ish having the presence of mind to immediately go to the turf and call the timeout with no one within 5 yards of him rather than going all Terrence Williams speaks volumes of his football IQ.

You beat me to it. I was so livid on that INT.

My favorite Nunes Int was V-Tech in the dome in 2000, The D played out of there minds and sacked Vick I believe 7 1/2 times. They had Freeney at one D-end and Duke Pettijohn at the other.

Late in the game with 'Cuse hanging by a thread and backed up near their own end zone, Nunes tripped and fell backwards while back peddling and decided to throw the ball straight up in the air. It took an eternity to fall back to earth but we all new it would be intercepted.

And of course Syracuse ended up losing the game.

Ahh, the memories.

My favorite Nunes Int was V-Tech in the dome in 2000, The D played out of there minds and sacked Vick I believe 7 1/2 times. They had Freeney at one D-end and Duke Pettijohn at the other.

Late in the game with 'Cuse hanging by a thread and backed up near their own end zone, Nunes tripped and fell backwards while back peddling and decided to throw the ball straight up in the air. It took an eternity to fall back to earth but we all new it would be intercepted.

Ahh, the memories.

Yup, I was there. Equally livid on that one. Unbelievable, really. That should've been an 8 or 9 win team.

"Learning" a system has nothing to do with dumb playcalling. Runs up the gut with a couple of lightweights are wasted plays. Baylor system says use your bruisers who can break plays into space. We're not doing that. Why ?
Any play that doesn't yield positive yards are generally wasted. There's lots of them in a game. But the run up the middle was pretty effective last week and it at least keeps the defense honest. Learning is not limited to the players...and a lot of those inside runs are coming off RPO it seems

Ahh, the memories.
Ahhh I was there...the memories. I could swear he actually threw it lefthanded

Yup, I was there. Equally livid on that one. Unbelievable, really. That should've been an 8 or 9 win team.

Too bad really, after all of the offensive talent there left after 98 (McNabb, Johnson, Konrad, etc..), the defense was loaded for a number of years after. They couldn't field an offense to compliment that strength...

Too bad really, after all of the offensive talent there left after 98 (McNabb, Johnson, Konrad, etc..), the defense was loaded for a number of years after. They couldn't field an offense to compliment that strength...
We never recovered from missing on Vick.

Any play that doesn't yield positive yards are generally wasted. There's lots of them in a game. But the run up the middle was pretty effective last week and it at least keeps the defense honest. Learning is not limited to the players...and a lot of those inside runs are coming off RPO it seems

They won't stop running up the gut. It's a key to this O. But we have to be better for sure.

We never recovered from missing on Vick.

Yup. McPherson, Graves, McNabb, Vick... what could've been. The pipeline went dry. I seem to recall that Nebraska was the only other school that offered McNabb as a QB. I would imagine that would not be the case today with the popularity of spread offenses. Much tougher for a program like Syracuse to sign that type of player.

The short pass to Ish to turn a 54 harder into a 47ish yarder was so refreshing. I know we have some younger fans so here's my approximation of how the coaches in my lifetime would have handled this:

-P believed that all drives to end the half would result in eleven ACL tears and a pick six if you didn't down it. He would have multiplied the play clock by three and figured out how many timeouts they had. If he could get in with the same score, he did it, no matter the field position, quality of opponent, borderline NFL Hall of Famer as his QB, etc. 14-14 at the Half. Nick Sudano 6 carries, 5 yards. McNabb throws 11 times, completing 10.

-Gerg would have looked at the field goal, seen the uprights more than 50 yards away and realized that the other uprights were closer. Laughing to himself at what a genius he is, he would have had his kicker lineup and kick to the other uprights, giving UConn three more points. 26-0 UConn at the Half but some guys were "really flashing out there", so we'll be totally fine.

-I feel like Marrone probably runs Jerome Smith on a draw or just tries the 54 yarder.

-Shafer really wants to punt it on first down and give his defense a shot to hold UConn down for the four seconds remaining in the half but he knows that the eight seconds of Time of Possession could prove critical later on. He QB sneaks into the line, where Dungey takes a shot to the head, sets up a 53 yarder, which is made but personal foul on us negates it. 14-14 at the Half.
The Shafer scenario is classic. I laughed out loud.

Compared to previous trips to the Rent, this actually was a pretty positive experience. A few drive-by douches but not with much conviction. And credit where it's due, a lot of friendly, reasonable UConn fans who were more interested in a discussion than a fight. All in all, a beautiful early autumn afternoon with great tailgating and a good football atmosphere.

I'm not giggling. Apoplectic was probably what I felt at the time.
Congrats on the W. I figured it would be a battle of your passing game versus our poor pass D and our running versus what looked to be a bad run D. But in the end you were better at your game than we were at ours. You deserved to win.
I wouldn't necessarily call what we do meathead football, but I will say it's not very entertaining and we're not very effective at it. Hopefully there will be changes.
See you at MSG in December.

Diaco is definitely a meathead, and that's why I think the guys on your board are participating in an exercise in futility by beating the "fire verducci" drum. Cause Diacos a defense guy and he's going to want an OC who plays by traditional "meathead" principles. Establish the Loc, win time of possession, etc.

Meathead didn't meathead as much as I thought he would but he's definitely a meathead. You listen to his post-game interview and you have to wonder whether he was beaten with a blunt instrument before coming out there. Totally incoherent.

Last years staff doesn't win this game as the best player we have on offense was brought in by Dino.
Considering we had lost 9 road games in a row the board being happy is appropriate behavior.
We lost 9 road games in a row because we didn't play a crap team like CON for all those 9 games , I'm sure you know that .

We lost because we had a bad coach. Included in that 9 game losing streak was Pitt, BC, USF, NC State.

Not murders road.
Way better than UCONN .

UConn fans were very gracious and understanding and a bit jealous that i conversed with. Jealous in that we have broken out from the nefarious conservative meathead football. They too are very tired of the RRPP brand of football since the Edsall to Pasqualoni and now Diaco days. They understand the begnning of our demise under Pasqualoni RRPP run run pass punt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom