Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously these schools are aware of that fact, so they wouldn’t recruit him if they didn’t need immediate help though, wouldn’t you agree?
Not really. They will offer him a chance to compete for the starting job, whether they truly believe he can win it or not or if they view him mainly as a quality backup is another question. And remember every school needs depth at QB and a quality backup.

Edit: I would agree the schools recruiting him likely need immediate help, but it may be as backup or just competition for the starter.

Has he tweeted the schools that have offered him yet? Maybe I missed them apologies
I don’t think his name is officially in the transfer portal yet (I haven’t seen it come up yet) so he can’t technically get any offers, only coaches reaching out to his HS coach/trainer (I could be wrong though as I use 247s sites and they’re slow to update)
Not really. They will offer him a chance to compete for the starting job, whether they truly believe he can win it or not or if they view him mainly as a quality backup is another question. And remember every school needs depth at QB and a quality backup.
Again, he knows what the goal is and the coaches do as well. He was a starter for two years, this isn’t like shrader moving on after playing WR.

I don’t think his name is officially in the transfer portal yet (I haven’t seen it come up yet) so he can’t technically get any offers, only coaches reaching out to his HS coach/trainer (I could be wrong though as I use 247s sites and they’re slow to update)

Again, he knows what the goal is and the coaches do as well. He was a starter for two years, this isn’t like shrader moving on after playing WR.
Not sure what you are getting at. No upper level program is going to anoint him as a guaranteed starter.

If TD and those giving his advise (probably his dad) were smart he'd be looking at finding a school where he can do a one year masters program. He's not going to play in the NFL and why not get a degree from an elite institution while playing your last season. Football opens different doors for different people, it won't open the bank account from the NFL but it could with a one year masters from an Ivy league.

FWIW TD is a sociology major and I doubt he's going to become a sociologist. My cousin played D1 college baseball and half his team each year were sociology majors as thats what the coach wanted them doing so they could focus on baseball. He had to go get a masters because he couldn't do anything with that degree. TD probably would love to prove everyone wrong and go start and have a great year at a P5 school but IMO a great life decision is an ivy league spot where he sets himself up with a degree that not many of us would have the opportunity to get, and while he's at it maybe he lights it up in the Ivy or even colonial league (Villanova or JMU, ect).

Ivy League is a non-starter - he's already played 4+ seasons.
They don't do Grad players - hence why Junior is now hooping with Dad & Buddy, rather than still at Cornell.

Now - maybe a school like Vandy?
Not great football, but amazing academics.
He'd have a pretty solid shot to win a starting gig, over almost anybody they'd likely have there.

Of course - he'd then have a similar problem to what he had @ Syracuse - the rest of his team might be outmatched by Conference opposition.

MAC-tion!!!!!

Imagine the Ole Miss fan reaction. Wait, did we just go out and get the 2 key contributors from a 1 win Syracuse team, while those they replaced them with turned them into a 6 win team?
Imagine the Cuse fan reaction if TD and Taj go somewhere, and light it up. 1 win here, how many wins there?

I may be in the minority, but I will not be surprised if Tommy does well. Looking forward to seeing how he does, wherever he winds up.

Imagine the Cuse fan reaction if TD and Taj go somewhere, and light it up. 1 win here, how many wins there?

I may be in the minority, but I will not be surprised if Tommy does well. Looking forward to seeing how he does, wherever he winds up.

I'm not really worried about that. They obviously weren't good fits here. Better to recognize it and all move on, than to keep holding out hope for a vision that will never happen.

I'm sure I'll pay some attention to where they go, but not a lot. Like checking box scores. Curiosity led me there this year, and I noticed Nykeim is the only one of last year's transfers who appears to have accumulated any stats.

Last edited:
I'm not really worried about that. They obviously weren't good fits here. Better to recognize it and all move on, then to keep holding out hope for a vision that will never happen.

I'm sure I'll pay some attention to where they go, but not a lot. Like checking box scores. Curiosity led me there this year, and I noticed Nykeim is the only one of last year's transfers who appears to have accumulated any stats.
It's funny how we have an 18-page discussion about one of our backup QB's leaving, and nowhere near as much chatter about how we have 2 midseason AP first-team All-Americans.

Exactly, go to a pass happy fcs school, light it up for a year or two where his size is less likely to be a detriment and he can shine and maybe just maybe get a look and shot at the next level. It’s not as crazy as it sounds (aka meaning can’t succeed here but could elsewhere and based on how the nfl does not exactly require running nor escapability/the need to create from the qb position - it’s not outlandish to think he can get at least a cup of coffee up there)
The vast majority of current nfl qbs have escapability as a skill.
the ones who don’t, not named Brady, have not lasted long lately.

Just wait until they transfer. They'll get recognized all right.

signal_personal_foul.jpg

Kids have dreams of getting to the league and they don't think they can do that by sitting the bench and waiting their turn.

I wouldn’t be so sure
I am sure. He doesn’t have the record or stats to get such a guarantee.
He may well get a guarantee at a fair shot a starting, just like Dino gave him when he came here and competed against Dungey his true freshman year.

Id be very surprised. It would have to be the perfect situation. Kent State might give him the best opportunity, or someone of that caliber. He'll get killed at Vandy and Rutgers. I'm most fascinated though to see if any schools who game planned against him offer him a scholarship.

Ivy League is a non-starter - he's already played 4+ seasons.
They don't do Grad players - hence why Junior is now hooping with Dad & Buddy, rather than still at Cornell.

Now - maybe a school like Vandy?
Not great football, but amazing academics.
He'd have a pretty solid shot to win a starting gig, over almost anybody they'd likely have there.

Of course - he'd then have a similar problem to what he had @ Syracuse - the rest of his team might be outmatched by Conference opposition.

MAC-tion!!!!!
Good catch forgot about that, Villanova might be a good option for him. If he's prioritizing the degree over playing football he could go get a one year MBA from USC. Probably all depends on what he's hoping to get out of his last year and if I had to guess the football part if likely his priority.

Vandy would be even worse than here IMO, Clark Lea is gonna need at least 4 years to fix the total mess derek mason left him. I think the best fit for him would be Rice, they are CUSA which is a solid G5 and he would get an amazing education. If I was a betting man I would go with you and say the Mac but its any of our guesses at this point.

I am sure. He doesn’t have the record or stats to get such a guarantee.
He may well get a guarantee at a fair shot a starting, just like Dino gave him when he came here and competed against Dungey his true freshman year.
He might get that guarantee from maybe Nova or JMU but even that would be surprising. Also that guarantee doesn't usually last longer than the first game or so, look at Brandon Wimbush at UCF or a million other examples.

Id be very surprised. It would have to be the perfect situation. Kent State might give him the best opportunity, or someone of that caliber. He'll get killed at Vandy and Rutgers. I'm most fascinated though to see if any schools who game planned against him offer him a scholarship.
That will be the interesting part. I understand why folks are thinking Kent State, but I dunno if that Babers type system is right for him.

I want to see him in something different. I want to see how a different coach will use him, and if that makes him effective.

We could all be shaking our heads, for what could have been, and why can't we have nice things.? By the same token? We could watch him set a sack record, or never see the field.(I doubt it). I'm leaning towards him looking pretty good.

Either way? I'm curious if there is a different Tommy Devito. I think there might be. Guess ill find out.

That will be the interesting part. I understand why folks are thinking Kent State, but I dunno if that Babers type system is right for him.

I want to see him in something different. I want to see how a different coach will use him, and if that makes him effective.

We could all be shaking our heads, for what could have been, and why can't we have nice things.? By the same token? We could watch him set a sack record, or never see the field.(I doubt it). I'm leaning towards him looking pretty good.

Either way? I'm curious if there is a different Tommy Devito. I think there might be. Guess ill find out.
What system does he fit?

There are maybe a half dozen teams that will give him the pass protection that he needs. None of those schools will offer him. Outside of Kent State he would need to learn a totally new O. What kind of WRs will he be surrounded by?

WV might be a decent fit for him. Outside of that I don't see a P5 that will be willing to offer. Everyone else will have a returning starter. An possible exception would be a new HC with no loyalties to his team.

Tommy is a failed QB. It will be hard for him to be find a landing spot as a starter. It is not like he is a grad transfer who had success and is in demand.

As long as he isn't on an ACC team or a team we play or Rutgers, I wish him well.

What system does he fit?

There are maybe a half dozen teams that will give him the pass protection that he needs. None of those schools will offer him. Outside of Kent State he would need to learn a totally new O. What kind of WRs will he be surrounded by?

WV might be a decent fit for him. Outside of that I don't see a P5 that will be willing to offer. Everyone else will have a returning starter. An possible exception would be a new HC with no loyalties to his team.

Tommy is a failed QB. It will be hard for him to be find a landing spot as a starter. It is not like he is a grad transfer who had success and is in demand.

As long as he isn't on an ACC team or a team we play or Rutgers, I wish him well.

If he’s not that good we should have no problem facing him and even welcome it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom