Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that if we could change time and this year was the first year post Eric that Tommy got to start he would have done well. The kid was beat up, had a horrible string of coaches and the worst Ol in all of college football. Sometimes things just dont work out. I hope that he does well at his next stop

I think that if we could change time and this year was the first year post Eric that Tommy got to start he would have done well. The kid was beat up, had a horrible string of coaches and the worst Ol in all of college football. Sometimes things just dont work out. I hope that he does well at his next stop
I get your point, but I'm not so sure.

Whatever "it"is, DeVito doesn't have"it."

Million dollar arm talent, 10 cent feel for the game once the pass rush is live.

Million dollar arm talent, 10 cent feel for the game once the pass rush is live.
He’d make a random great throw here and there.

But I can’t remember one time where the offense was really humming when he was the starter.

His best performance was coming in as the spark against UNC. He was never nearly that productive yardage/points wise again.

Seven months isn’t enough time to get chosen from the portal? They both quit on their team. Harris’ situation is worse than Devito’s since he was a starter and went to the ACC media days. If Shrader goes down Devito slides in. This is the problem with most kids these days, they don’t get their own way and they quit.
My son played AAU basketball this year (14 year old) and was not a starter in the beginning of the season. Some of the players did not like the coach’s concept. No practice or hard work, then no play. The coach has a son playing in the NBA. Three or four kids quit. My son was at every practice and every game. He obviously got much more playing time as the season continued. He got discouraged because they were not as competitive as they were in the beginning of the season, but he never quit. My wife and I would not have allowed him to quit even if he wanted to.
My point is that these two had nothing to gain from quitting on their team and teammates by transferring in the middle of the season. If Taj had been patient, I am confident that Shrader would have passed him the ball and he would have made a difference in all of these games, considering they were so close. Devito was one play away from coming into the game. They should have stuck it out until the season ended and reevaluated their situation at that time.

Good luck to both of them.

Seven months isn’t enough time to get chosen from the portal? They both quit on their team. Harris’ situation is worse than Devito’s since he was a starter and went to the ACC media days. If Shrader goes down Devito slides in. This is the problem with most kids these days, they don’t get their own way and they quit.
My son played AAU basketball this year (14 year old) and was not a starter in the beginning of the season. Some of the players did not like the coach’s concept. No practice or hard work, then no play. The coach has a son playing in the NBA. Three or four kids quit. My son was at every practice and every game. He obviously got much more playing time as the season continued. He got discouraged because they were not as competitive as they were in the beginning of the season, but he never quit. My wife and I would not have allowed him to quit even if he wanted to.
My point is that these two had nothing to gain from quitting on their team and teammates by transferring in the middle of the season. If Taj had been patient, I am confident that Shrader would have passed him the ball and he would have made a difference in all of these games, considering they were so close. Devito was one play away from coming into the game. They should have stuck it out until the season ended and reevaluated their situation at that time.

Perseverance. It doesn’t exist. They can pull up whatever they want in a split second on their phones all day long. They can’t magically change their brains when it comes to sports.

We will never see a Z Sims or even a Kevin Mason ever again.

I don't think that number reflects what is accurately happening. Shrader sometimes loses yardage on runs -- that's different from being sacked, but they count as the same thing.
Is that true - if Schrader is running an option, keeps it, and loses a yard, that's counted as a sack?

Perseverance. It doesn’t exist. They can pull up whatever they want in a split second on their phones all day long. They can’t magically change their brains when it comes to sports.

I hope you're wrong but I doubt it.

I understand and agree with your message. I do believe Taj saved a season of eligibility leaving when he did though.

If he had played beyond 4 games, I believe he would’ve only had one remaining. Because he left when he did, I think he has the potential for two now because he never redshirted.

do you think our blocking got better when we got Davis and Elmore back?

as to sack yardage, I don’t know where to find that. I don’t think PFF breaks that out.
I think getting those guys helped greatly. But at the same time it was right about when injuries were starting to take a toll on the OL. So it was probably not as great as it could have been.

Can’t entirely blame the kids. I’m around kids all day, it’s their parents that want things easy. Partially for quick gratification and likes on the socials. Not saying they have no impact on their own lives but the parents have a huge impact on them wanting things easy.

Last edited:
Can’t entirely blame the kids. I’m around kids all day, it’s their parents that want things easy. Partially for quick gratification and likes on the socials. Not saying they have no impact on their own lives but the parents have a huge impact on them wanting things easy.

Some do some don't.

I understand and agree with your message. I do believe Taj saved a season of eligibility leaving when he did though.

If he had played beyond 4 games, I believe he would’ve only had one remaining. Because he left when he did, I think he has the potential for two now because he never redshirted.

True, Taj played as a true freshman. So he saves the year. Although I bet he’s thinking one and done, it’s there if he needs it.

I think Tommy on that sideline watching so many Shrader misfires and not getting the chance to come in like UNC 2018 was the breaking point for him.

He knows the coach and the system at Kent St, and they are ready to roll the MAC. Should be able to put up huge numbers there.

He isn’t playing two more years.

They just lost to WMU 64-31 and are 3-4.
Their OOC schedule was a bear, A&M, Iowa and Maryland on the road. WMU is definitely a real team, maybe if Devito was the Kent QB, it would have been a scoring duel. They could meet WMU again in the MAC championship game.

Last edited:
You know how I feel about "best wishes". It would be disingenuous after Taj for me to completely reverse course now.

But...what I will say is...he handled his benching with maturity, and I respect him for that. And it's a very different animal being benched and not playing at all vs not liking the guy who is throwing you the ball now.

I will be watching to see where he ends up. I suspect it's gonna have to be FCS...quite likely D-2.
He’s already getting power 5 interest. Minnesota, Rutgers and Vandy, along with some Group of 5. Thinking he is going to end up at an FCS school reeks of sour grapes.

If he's transferring as a grad transfer does he still get 2020 plus his grad year?
Is it two because he only played in 3 this year? I hope that he has two it will give him the best chance to do well.
So, would he be the first player ever to have 7 years? I think it is far more important for him to pick a great Masters Degree program than attempting to live out his old man's dream.

He’s already getting power 5 interest. Minnesota, Rutgers and Vandy, along with some Group of 5. Thinking he is going to end up at an FCS school reeks of sour grapes.
Not sure it’s all sour grapes or what may be best for Tommy. He has one year left, I don’t think he wants to spend it as a backup. He is more likely to start at a lower level school. He needs to pick a spot where he has the best path to starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom