Tommy Gun... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Gun...

System QB.

He just walked in off Rt 3 this May and basically, flawlessly…just ran a Pro Offense for 3 games in August.

Soooo, was that the systems he was just in?

Or are the Giants running Don Boscos 2015-16 system??

Help me out here.

Thanks.
In college different FB programs run different systems. He is not a fit for any system that requires a dual threat QB. Is that clear enough for you?

Watching TD in the pros has me thinking of his skills vs Ryan Nassib. Tommy might have been better served playing under Doug Marrone.

I agree Mike. TD on that 2012 team would have flourished.

No one ever doubted TD arm strength and accuracy. Extremely good.

However, TD is a true pocket passer. He needs a good clean pocket with time to analyze the field. That’s why he did so well in recruiting and was an elite 11 qb. During that it was 7v7 so he had time to sit back and make the throws. If you give TD all the time in the world he will absolutely shred you.

However, most div 1 schools are dual threat systems. Tommy can not run. When forced to run he WILL run out of bounds and take the sack. I saw him do it too many times at Cuse, too many times at Illinois and I saw him do it a couple times in the giants preseason games.

However, when Illinois and the Giants gave TD time to throw, watch out, he was dangerous

As we all said MANY MANY MANY times on here, Tommy needed a VERY good OL and he wasn’t ever going to get it here at Syracuse

2019 - 128th out of 130 teams in sacks given up per game

2020 - 119th out of 127 teams in sacks given up per game.

Do you not remember how bad our O-line was?

He took sacks that he shouldn't have, and couldn't escape any. We were 110th, 105th, and 119th Dino's first 3 years. Yet somehow we had a functional O. Also his sack rate was higher than any of the other QBs who played during the same time.

However, TD is a true pocket passer. He needs a good clean pocket with time to analyze the field. That’s why he did so well in recruiting and was an elite 11 qb. During that it was 7v7 so he had time to sit back and make the throws. If you give TD all the time in the world he will absolutely shred you.

However, most div 1 schools are dual threat systems. Tommy can not run. When forced to run he WILL run out of bounds and take the sack. I saw him do it too many times at Cuse, too many times at Illinois and I saw him do it a couple times in the giants preseason games.

However, when Illinois and the Giants gave TD time to throw, watch out, he was dangerous

As we all said MANY MANY MANY times on here, Tommy needed a VERY good OL and he wasn’t ever going to get it here at Syracuse

At Illinois and what I have seen from the Giants games, just about all of his completions are dinks. A QB needs to be able to do more than that. I only watched the first half last game and I believe he only completed 2 passes thrown more than 10 yards.

He didn't really help himself back there, though. Definitely took some sacks he could've avoided.
So fine. So we’d have been what 100th, 110th, 115th? The o line blew. Full stop.

We’re not all of a sudden in the top 50 if Tommy throws the ball away.

So fine. So we’d have been what 100th, 110th, 115th? The o line blew. Full stop.

We’re not all of a sudden in the top 50 if Tommy throws the ball away.
Yeah, I think that's true.

Perfect storm of mismatch.

Let’s just stop talking about the Illinois QB who may or may not end up on the Giants practice squad on the Cuse football board.

Or at least move it to the OT Pro board where I can explain to people properly on how much time we should spend on the Giants or any NFL team’s 3rd string or practice squad.

Thank you.

Tommy's running ability (or lack thereof) is one of the most confusing things I've ever seen in my time as an SU fan. In the 2018 season when he had to come in a few times for Dungey, Tommy ran the ball effectively, especially against FSU in the Dome. We all thought he was a legit dual-threat QB.

But then the 2019 season came along, and became so rigid and indecisive in that sense (almost like Tyler Roberson playing basketball). Whereas guys like Dungey, Garrett, and Terrell Hunt could be slippery and knew when to take off running for first downs, Tommy would always hold the ball too long and fade away to his right creating impossible throws. And then when Tommy did run, he would always go down with the most minimal contact imaginable.

None of this is personal towards him. I really want him to do great in the NFL and life.

Tommy's running ability (or lack thereof) is one of the most confusing things I've ever seen in my time as an SU fan. In the 2018 season when he had to come in a few times for Dungey, Tommy ran the ball effectively, especially against FSU in the Dome. We all thought he was a legit dual-threat QB.

But then the 2019 season came along, and became so rigid and indecisive in that sense (almost like Tyler Roberson playing basketball). Whereas guys like Dungey, Garrett, and Terrell Hunt could be slippery and knew when to take off running for first downs, Tommy would always hold the ball too long and fade away to his right creating impossible throws. And then when Tommy did run, he would always go down with the most minimal contact imaginable.

None of this is personal towards him. I really want him to do great in the NFL and life.

Agree 100%.

May have been the most frustrating thing with him.

And to watch him many times, run out of bounds for a loss (sack) of 1-2 yards when even if he turned up field he could have gotten 2-3yards and still stepped out of bounds and avoided the contact was mind blowing.

I originally had thought this was a cuse directive (don’t take the hit, stay healthy) until I saw him do it at Illinois and I’ve seen him do it at least twice during the preseason with the giants.

Agree 100%.

May have been the most frustrating thing with him.

And to watch him many times, run out of bounds for a loss (sack) of 1-2 yards when even if he turned up field he could have gotten 2-3yards and still stepped out of bounds and avoided the contact was mind blowing.

I originally had thought this was a cuse directive (don’t take the hit, stay healthy) until I saw him do it at Illinois and I’ve seen him do it at least twice during the preseason with the giants.
i had less issues with running out short than i did with running out to take a loss when he could have just thrown it away and took no loss.

This is 100% accurate. He was a very different QB in 2018. More balanced and dynamic. 2019 was pure drop back and adding that to a dramatically worse line just compounded it.

Happy for TD hope he sticks, still good for the program. Hope GS has a great year and elevates himself to have a chance, seems to have a strong enough arm, good size mobility and wheels. If he can improve his accuracy this year may end up getting drafted. Needs to stay healthy can be a poor mans Josh Allen.

Some QBs being cut today that the Giants might be interested in as #3. That’s includes guys like Colt McCoy.

If he gets signed to practice squad tomorrow, will be earning 12K per week for each week he is on the practice squad...

That is $216K if he is on the squad for all 18 weeks.

Not close to league minimum but not too shabby...
psssh his dad makes that in an hour on the stock market. You ever seen his gold chains? psssh he can bench press 405 with a bad shoulder psssh get outta here

Fact: DeVito got an NFL shot.
Fact: DeVito made a bowl for Illinois and had a very good senior season.
Fact: Something here didn't fit, Oline, system, coaches, whatever but as soon as he left he found success.

IMO this is a bit of a bruise on Dino. DeVito could have been one of the best QBs we've had in years. We wasted him. I was one of his biggest detractors but it's clear, he had enough skills to succeed elsewhere. I don't like the way he left but was he wrong on some of the stuff he said? Hmmmmmm

Not carrying three QBs on the 53 doesn't make any sense. You're one missed assignment from someone blowing up Daniel Jones and Tyrod Taylor being the starter.

Not carrying three QBs on the 53 doesn't make any sense. You're one missed assignment from someone blowing up Daniel Jones and Tyrod Taylor being the starter.
You move QB 2 to 1 for the rest of that game and the next week pull someone from the practice squad, sign a free agent, or make a trade. Pros have a lot of mid season flexibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom