Tony Bennett is so overrated | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tony Bennett is so overrated

OttoMets said:
No dog in this fight, but Boeheim says everyone and everything is "the best" at some point. That can't carry any weight in this kind of conversation. Just ask Otto Porter.

Carries a lot of weight. He's talked highly of players but I've never heard him say any other coach is the best in the game. He may be exaggerating but that's high praise that he doesn't use.

Tony Bennett took a program that was middling, at best, and won two ACC championships and for three years in a row has had them a national title contender. 10 minutes does not a career make.

But 10 minutes makes someone one of the best coaches ever?

But 10 minutes makes someone one of the best coaches ever?

When did I say one of the best coaches ever? He's a good coach. No more, no less. I don't think anyone has called for him to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

He's a good coach and he got schooled tonight by a Hall of Famer.

Hes the kind of coach that can coach a tough 40 minutes against teams like syracuse, that didn't happen today but still 95% of the times his teams have done that the last few years.

If we didn't have the great mike hopkins lined up after jb to leave I would take someone like that in a heartbeat.

Yeah, ok.

1st team: Brodgon
2nd team: Harris
H.M. : Mitchell

1st team: Brogdon
2nd team: Anderson
3rd team: Gill
H.M.: Perrantes

2016:
1st team: Brogdon
3rd team: Hill
H.M.: Perrrantes

Dude. You've doubled-down on the ludicrosity. [Holy... I didn't even know this was a real word... Thought i was making it up.]
I think, in your mind, what y0u've posted here serves as logic. 'Because Bennett has been working with players who were 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team All ACC players — really good players — he isn't such a good coach.'

But, really, what you should be looking at the fact that he takes kids who are VERY lowly-ranked in national recruiting lists, and 'transforms' them into all league talents. Either that, or he just have a wizard's gift of identifying overlooked high schoolers.

So, taking 'composite rankings' from the kids you listed from 2014-16:

Brogdon — 98th
Harris — 123rd
Mitchell — No overall rank. Like, whatsoever. 2.7 composite stars.
Anderson — 48th
Gill — 127th
Perrantes — 152nd.
*per VerbalCommits.com

The BEST was 48th (average, between multiple rankings). We'd pitch a massive bitch if that was the best we could do over three years, and we commonly accept that a 48th-ranked kid might never see meaningful minutes in our program.

Let's have you do the next set of research — which recruits, with similar rankings, has JB 'developed' to All Conference teams?

I really hope the fellating stops. It was almost as Chris Paul levels.

Best teams in the conference over 3 years and he's got 6 NCAA wins to show for it.

Let's take the hate goggles for Dixon and Williams and (until yesterday) Wright off and place them squarely on Charlottesville.

A lot things go into being a coach. You should see his post game interview where he tells what he said to his players. The guy is class act.

UVA has been very good under Bennett. One game losing to us means nothing against his body of work. Plus they have an excellent recruiting class coming in:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/virginia

Not a bunch of one-and-dones but a really nice recruiting class. By their 3rd or 4th year those 4-star recruits will be competitive with anyone in the ACC.

Come on, you have to stop being like UCONN fan. You are only ever as good as your competition. This is why JB always praise the other team first thing during any post-game press conference. Let's follow JB's lead and show some class.

No dog in this fight, but Boeheim says everyone and everything is "the best" at some point. That can't carry any weight in this kind of conversation. Just ask Otto Porter.

You have no clue why he does it.

Tony Bennett took a program that was middling, at best, and won two ACC championships and for three years in a row has had them a national title contender. 10 minutes does not a career make.

This is a good post.

Tony has a strong system in place that has resulted in a great run at UVa. I don't think he is overrated. To those who throw out "he was outcoached"...I ask, what should he have done?

Honestly, it's tough to judge coaches. A buddy of mine thinks Jay Wright and Bill Self are the two most overrated coaches currently. I think Tony B has done a great job these last couple years.

Plus, coaches look much better when their players execute. We all have years of memories where Cuse choked away plenty of leads, but I never said Jimmy was over-rated, ya know?

People go overboard, no joke, I heard Nova fans calling up wfan a few weeks ago saying if Nova didn't win a few games in the tournament, they wanted Jay Wright fired.

Let's have you do the next set of research — which recruits, with similar rankings, has JB 'developed' to All Conference teams?

Of course you have t0 knock JB to build up Bennett.

Bennett is a great coach, but JB coached circles around him Sunday night. He and his team panicked at the first sign of trouble and he sat there like a deer in headlights watching his season slip by. The shot of him on one knee with a blank expression on his face when we took the 6 point lead sums up his performance.

NKR1978 said:
Of course you have t0 knock JB to build up Bennett. Bennett is a great coach, but JB coached circles around him Sunday night. He and his team panicked at the first sign of trouble and he sat there like a deer in headlights watching his season slip by. The shot of him on one knee with a blank expression on his face when we took the 6 point lead sums up his performance.

JB did a great job in the second half. But TB had everything going in the first.

Not sure we have to knock either coach. They are both very good.

I think that Bennett is a very good coach; I just can't stand UVa's style of play.

JB did a great job in the second half. But TB had everything going in the first.

Not sure we have to knock either coach. They are both very good.

I was responding to one specific poster who does not like JB.

But Bennett seems to be getting a pass from some people who would never have given Jamie Dixon a pass for his tournament results early in his career when he was winning BE regular season and tournament championships and flaming out in the NCAA.

Aside from Bennett being a guy who you can actually root for, I see a lot of similarities between Virginia and those late aughts Pitt teams. That style of play generally does not lend itself to the Tournament. When you're winning its great, but it's tough in close tournament games. I was genuinely shocked at their poor clock management with about 80 seconds to go. They played with no urgency. If that was any other coach who wasn't deemed "classy" by the board, he'd be getting lambasted. If we were in Virginia's position, JB would be rightfully taking criticism. If it were Pitt, Dixon would have been mocked incessantly.

I'm not one of those people who think the tournament is everything. This year it is for us because of two poor regular seasons in a row, but it's just one way to measure. We had great teams in the past that disappointed in the tournament, and I respect how hard it is to win. That's why I think Bennett is a great coach, he just isn't a great tournament coach yet. He'll get there though.

NKR1978 said:
I was responding to one specific poster who does not like JB. But Bennett seems to be getting a pass from some people who would never have given Jamie Dixon a pass for his tournament results early in his career when he was winning BE regular season and tournament championships and flaming out in the NCAA. Aside from Bennett being a guy who you can actually root for, I see a lot of similarities between Virginia and those late aughts Pitt teams. That style of play generally does not lend itself to the Tournament. When you're winning its great, but it's tough in close tournament games. I was genuinely shocked at their poor clock management with about 80 seconds to go. They played with no urgency. If that was any other coach who wasn't deemed "classy" by the board, he'd be getting lambasted. If we were in Virginia's position, JB would be rightfully taking criticism. If it were Pitt, Dixon would have been mocked incessantly. I'm not one of those people who think the tournament is everything. This year it is for us because of two poor regular seasons in a row, but it's just one way to measure. We had great teams in the past that disappointed in the tournament, and I respect how hard it is to win. That's why I think Bennett is a great coach, he just isn't a great tournament coach yet. He'll get there though.

Agreed.

To me it seems like he'll get there - if nothing else because of the humility he has (vs Dixon). He'll adjust the way they play as the years go by.

TheCusian said:
Agreed.

To me it seems like he'll get there - if nothing else because of the humility he has (vs Dixon). He'll adjust the way they play as the years go by.

And his recruiting has picked up. Kyle Guy is going to torment us for years.

I really hope the fellating stops. It was almost as Chris Paul levels.

Best teams in the conference over 3 years and he's got 6 NCAA wins to show for it.

Let's take the hate goggles for Dixon and Williams and (until yesterday) Wright off and place them squarely on Charlottesville.
Trump, is that you?Oh Lord

I was responding to one specific poster who does not like JB.

But Bennett seems to be getting a pass from some people who would never have given Jamie Dixon a pass for his tournament results early in his career when he was winning BE regular season and tournament championships and flaming out in the NCAA.

Aside from Bennett being a guy who you can actually root for, I see a lot of similarities between Virginia and those late aughts Pitt teams. That style of play generally does not lend itself to the Tournament. When you're winning its great, but it's tough in close tournament games. I was genuinely shocked at their poor clock management with about 80 seconds to go. They played with no urgency. If that was any other coach who wasn't deemed "classy" by the board, he'd be getting lambasted. If we were in Virginia's position, JB would be rightfully taking criticism. If it were Pitt, Dixon would have been mocked incessantly.

I'm not one of those people who think the tournament is everything. This year it is for us because of two poor regular seasons in a row, but it's just one way to measure. We had great teams in the past that disappointed in the tournament, and I respect how hard it is to win. That's why I think Bennett is a great coach, he just isn't a great tournament coach yet. He'll get there though.

Analysis/Opinion:

UVA seemed to play with no urgency because they are not a running/transition team in the classic Big East sense of the term. UVA is a well disciplined team that can work the ball technically very well around a defense until the defense makes a mistake, whereupon UVA capitalizes on the mistake and scores. The individual skills are enhance through technical capability and discipline, but in a horse race with Syracuse (UNC, Duke, and several other teams) Bennett and Co. understand they will lose. UVA basically had no answer for the Orange when our guys were on a fast break nor when our guys hustled back on D, they simply re-established their half court game. This system is good for more wins and building a program but usually will fail when faced with superior talent, especially in the Tourney where the competition only gets stiffer the deeper you go. I fully expect that as UVA gets more recognition that they will get the players to become serious contenders more often than not.

Your last paragraph sums up what many on here really think with the clincher; "...I think Bennett is a great coach, he just isn't a great tournament coach yet. He'll get there though." Emphasis on YET and He'll get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom