Tony White to Nebraska | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White to Nebraska

Define survive? We’ve only been to 7 bowl games over the last 23 years.

He’s the architect for the best defense Syracuse has had in the modern era ….and (all our kids going pro are on the D side of the ball)

No idea what your last two sentences are trying to spin…The 2nd and 3rd stringers lost 3 games wah? That’s some crazy spin.
I'm not trying to spin anything. I like White . Wished he would have stayed. But it isn't the end of the world. And if you read the entire thread, KC said we wouldn't have won 4 games without White mixing and matching guys through our injuries. I don't believe that is true. We won our games early before we were destroyed by our injuries. But by all means, lets' panic.

Tomorrow should be interesting. I think we retain a lot more of our core than people anticipate but there may be a few name we wish wouldnt that will.

Define survive? We’ve only been to 7 bowl games over the last 23 years.

He’s the architect for the best defense Syracuse has had in the modern era ….and (all our kids going pro are on the D side of the ball)

No idea what your last two sentences are trying to spin…The 2nd and 3rd stringers lost 3 games wah?
Shafer's 2010 D was the best D we've had post P.

I also said that Dinos number one job was to retain the key coaches. Named White as critical in numerous post and that he needed to retain key players. Hes not off to a good start.
SMH What in the world could he have done with White. The guy got a lot more money to go to Nebraska. He also gets more job sucurity because the clock on his new head coach is just starting. White made a good business decision. And lets face it, every one of us knew, or should have know, he wasn't going to be here long term.

Time will tell. Good coaches come and go. So do players. There is a whole world out there. You have been saying that Dino is a good CEO. Well, any CEO worth his salt prepares for events just like this. I would be surprised if he didn't already have a very short list.
Agree except I would be disappointed and upset, instead of surprised, if he doesn't have a short list for every coaching position in a business like this.

Agree except I would be disappointed and upset, instead of surprised, if he doesn't have a short list for every coaching position in a business like this.
of course

Boo
Yah that is exactly what concerns me most - the limbo this move leaves the program in. We should be polite about it - TW is a great guy and a talented DC who elevated the program. But this isn't TonyWhitefan.com either. For SU this is a gut punch, at a time when our Defense was finally getting a reputation - and putting some kids in the NFL.

Things could get better if we're able to recruit someone quickly. But the timing could hardly be worse ... right before early signing period for a program trying to recruit its way out of the ACC basement. If a candidate doesn't surface relatively quickly, we could not only lose recruits but existing players - and go backwards. From a purely SU POV there is nothing positive about this.

Last edited:
It’s bad news , no way to sugarcoat it. But as with everything, it’s met with overreaction. It’s possible with Monroe or someone else from within we can continue without missing a beat. I’ll wait and see. Now if 3 or 4 of our top defenders head out with him then I’ll head for the proverbial ledge.

Yah that is exactly what concerns me most - the limbo this move leaves the program in. We should be polite about it - TW is a great guy and a talented DC who elevated the program. But this isn't TonyWhitefan.com either. For SU this is a gut punch. Right before the early signing period, at a time when our Defense was finally getting a reputation - and putting some kids in the NFL.

Things could get better if we're able to recruit someone quickly. But the timing could hardly be worse ... especially for a program climbing out of the ACC basement. If a candidate doesn't surface relatively quickly, we could not only lose recruits but existing players - and go backwards. From a purely SU POV there is nothing at all positive about this.
That is 100% true

I'm not trying to spin anything. I like White . Wished he would have stayed. But it isn't the end of the world. And if you read the entire thread, KC said we wouldn't have won 4 games without White mixing and matching guys through our injuries. I don't believe that is true. We won our games early before we were destroyed by our injuries. But by all means, lets' panic.

KC has manic takes at times but White was the best coach and coordinator on the staff. Hard to argue and he’s the LB coach. Yeah there are other coaches out there and no one knew who TW was until he came here and did well but his loss is huge now. It’ll be tough to get it right again and Dino is likely out next year anyway unless he gets to another bowl game.

I frankly don’t care though and prefer to hire a big name from outside.

lol the sky is falling takes are funny

The only thing I have learned in the Dino era is he is only as good as his assistants so he better hire right and hire quickly. Even with great assistants them he holds them back with game management. He did an amazing job finding White hopefully he can do the same for his replacement.

Happy he stayed as long as he did... taught us the 3-3-5 ..... hopefully the new DC is somebody on staff

KC has manic takes at times but White was the best coach and coordinator on the staff. Hard to argue and he’s the LB coach. Yeah there are other coaches out there and no one knew who TW was until he came here and did well but his lost is huge. It’ll be tough to get it right again and Dino is likely out next year anyway unless he gets to another bowl game.

I frankly don’t care and prefer to hire outside.
I don't \disagree with anything you just wrote. And no where did I suggest otherwise. Wished he would have stayed. Couldn't really have left at a worse time. But it is only a disaster if it is allowed to be a disaster.

The only thing I have learned in the Dino era is he is only as good as his assistants so he better hire right and hire quickly. Even with great assistants them he holds them back with game management. He did an amazing job finding White hopefully he can do the same for his replacement.
So why are you worried? You just said he hires good assistants.

So why are you worried? You just said he hires good assistants.

Because we ran a specific defense and our roster is configured around that defense. I want Dino to get the best DC he can not be restricted to 3x3x5 because then the pool is smaller. But to switch from 3x3x5 we have to move fast and hit the portal hard for DL help.

SMH What in the world could he have done with White. The guy got a lot more money to go to Nebraska. He also gets more job sucurity because the clock on his new head coach is just starting. White made a good business decision. And lets face it, every one of us knew, or should have know, he wasn't going to be here long term.
White was likely out the door so I'm sure this is no surprise for Dino if they communicate. I had heard such in early October when traveling back for the NCSt game. Head coaches have to be prepared for this. The hire will be obviously critical from a systems and continuity perspective. Losing Anae and/or Beck at this point would be a gut punch...

Not exactly what he said. He said he is only as good as the ass'ts he hires. So this ass'ts hire better be good. At least, that is the way I read what he wrote.

Yes and we have a specific defense so if we are hiring to keep the defense the same the coaching pool is really small. If we need to change off of the 3x3x5 then we need to hit the portal hard.

800-2013-a-nourriture-fast-food-restaurant-pizzas-dominos-pizza.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom