Tony White | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White

Seriously, why when a team is looking for a new coach the average fans first thought is “who’s been a decent coach on our staff the last 5 years?” Tony was a bright spot in yet another bad era of Syracuse football, but I don’t want a first year head coach. And if what is being said about the amount of support we’re getting is true, we shouldn’t have to settle for one.
I don't understand this.

Babers really knows what it's like to suck here, he's the perfect guy for the job!

I would be okay with Tony White as head coach. He turned this defense into a Juggernaut while he was here. He turned around a putrid Nebraska defense in one year, he develops players and is a high character guy. Is a very good recruiter as well.

Keep Beck as OC, he hasn’t had much to work with this year. The players love him, he has a history of developing QBs, up and coming coach, White has a relationship with one year in the staff with him last year and by all accounts him and his family love Syracuse. Beck is a pretty good recruiter, relates to the kids well, and it would help keep our current QB in the class committed who is pretty dang good.

I wouldn’t mind bringing back Monroe and making him DC. He was a very good recruiter obviously. He now has a year under his belt as a P5 DC, and he called a great game last year in the bowl game. He develops players and puts players in the league. Our secondary was chuck full of studs when he was here. Him and White running the defense together would be fun.

Some other names to look at for position coaches.

David Walker (RB coach)-ex SU running back, just fired as the Bears RB coach

Keep Campanile at Tight Ends-he has been killing it recruiting in Jersey, he is respected, brings vast experience and knowledge

Keep Travis Fisher at Safeties-he is an up and coming coach. Relates well to the kids, brings NFL experience and has done well recruiting

Maybe make Rocky Long an advisor to the head coach or special assistant because he has a great relationship with Tony White. It being White’s first head coaching job he would need all the experience around him and Rocky is a great person for that.

We need a solid o-line hire. Our o-line has been pretty bad for awhile now. Need to hit a home run here. We see how important that position group is now
I think is just about where I’m at FTR. But a big no on Walker….got canned for a reason (or two)

Seriously, why when a team is looking for a new coach the average fans first thought is “who’s been a decent coach on our staff the last 5 years?” Tony was a bright spot in yet another bad era of Syracuse football, but I don’t want a first year head coach. And if what is being said about the amount of support we’re getting is true, we shouldn’t have to settle for one.
Teams are turning over to first year head coaches that are data driven and hungry all the time. The hell with the retreads

There is nothing that connects us to that history anymore. And we have a potential candidate that is neither of those dudes
So then it shouldn’t matter who we hire!

I actually think Al Golden wouldn’t be a bad choice. Turned Temple around. Didn’t do that poorly at Miami as they were under the pressure of probation. He’s attainable. Coached in north east. Has made stops at big time programs. Knows the ACC. Probably could be a decent coach here. No championships but maybe bowls.

I write this while watching 6-2 Rutgers play with Ohio St. Disgusting.

Ik

I'm saying the fact the he is a minority would appeal to a certain portion of the administration
I don't doubt that
I also wonder if the administration is serious about winning and what it takes for it to happen

If Tony White ends up being the head coach, I hope someone keeps the receipts from this thread. Whether he's good, bad or neutral as a head coach. I would enjoy seeing the H0T Takes 3 to 5 years from now. I'll gladly eat my words, if I have to.

If Tony White ends up being the head coach, I hope someone keeps the receipts from this thread. Whether he's good, bad or neutral as a head coach. I would enjoy seeing the H0T Takes 3 to 5 years from now. I'll gladly eat my words, if I have to.
there's not really any H0T Takes here. if they hire him, fine, whatever, see how it goes

why does this change h-o-t to H0T this board is weird

People here need to listen…
You mean that the players like Tony White? Players say those kinds of things. Some coaches succeed, some do not. I think I’m falling into the camp of someone who’s been a HC before.

It’s easy ti hate on HCs with mediocre records because they have records. Assistant coaches have no records, so it’s easy to be hopeful with them. I think we need a solid, if not spectacular, head coach. We’re not getting a premier head coach, so someone who’s solid but not a celebrity is who I’d go after. Are there any Dave Clawsons out there?

What H0T Takes? That he should be a leading candidate to replace Babers?

You mean that the players like Tony White? Players say those kinds of things. Some coaches succeed, some do not. I think I’m falling into the camp of someone who’s been a HC before.

It’s easy ti hate on HCs with mediocre records because they have records. Assistant coaches have no records, so it’s easy to be hopeful with them. I think we need a solid, if not spectacular, head coach. We’re not getting a premier head coach, so someone who’s solid but not a celebrity is who I’d go after. Are there any Dave Clawsons out there?
They aren’t saying they like him. They’re saying they’d die for him. Which is a huge difference especially in the brutal game of football

I can’t wrap my head around hiring a head coach who is a part of losing seasons under Babers. If the new guy wants to retain someone fine but otherwise no thanks.

White may turn out to be a fine head coach I just don’t know how you bring a guy back to be head coach, who was on Babers staff here

I would be okay with Tony White as head coach. He turned this defense into a Juggernaut while he was here. He turned around a putrid Nebraska defense in one year, he develops players and is a high character guy. Is a very good recruiter as well.

Keep Beck as OC, he hasn’t had much to work with this year. The players love him, he has a history of developing QBs, up and coming coach, White has a relationship with one year in the staff with him last year and by all accounts him and his family love Syracuse. Beck is a pretty good recruiter, relates to the kids well, and it would help keep our current QB in the class committed who is pretty dang good.

I wouldn’t mind bringing back Monroe and making him DC. He was a very good recruiter obviously. He now has a year under his belt as a P5 DC, and he called a great game last year in the bowl game. He develops players and puts players in the league. Our secondary was chuck full of studs when he was here. Him and White running the defense together would be fun.

Some other names to look at for position coaches.

David Walker (RB coach)-ex SU running back, just fired as the Bears RB coach

Keep Campanile at Tight Ends-he has been killing it recruiting in Jersey, he is respected, brings vast experience and knowledge

Keep Travis Fisher at Safeties-he is an up and coming coach. Relates well to the kids, brings NFL experience and has done well recruiting

Maybe make Rocky Long an advisor to the head coach or special assistant because he has a great relationship with Tony White. It being White’s first head coaching job he would need all the experience around him and Rocky is a great person for that.

We need a solid o-line hire. Our o-line has been pretty bad for awhile now. Need to hit a home run here. We see how important that position group is now
People say Beck’s a good recruiter. Who has he brought in? Where’s the quarterback?

I can’t wrap my head around hiring a head coach who is a part of losing seasons under Babers. If the new guy wants to retain someone fine but otherwise no thanks.

White may turn out to be a fine head coach I just don’t know how you bring a guy back to be head coach, who was on Babers staff here
Well he had the sense / intelligence to leave Dino. So there’s that going for him.

They aren’t saying they like him. They’re saying they’d die for him. Which is a huge difference especially in the brutal game of football
I hear you but I don’t put too much stock into what our mediocre players say about coaches. Again, players say stuff like this all the time. I just hope the AD has good advice from somewhere for those that understand the landscape of football at a much higher level than players.

White might be the guy. Not saying he’s not. I don’t really know. I’m just a bit shy of a non-HC. If we’re taking that risk, I’d go lower level and more innovative.

I hear you but I don’t put too much stock into what our mediocre players say about coaches. Again, players say stuff like this all the time. I just hope the AD has good advice from somewhere for those that understand the landscape of football at a much higher level than players.

White might be the guy. Not saying he’s not. I don’t really know. I’m just a bit shy of a non-HC. If we’re taking that risk, I’d go lower level and more innovative.
White had a lot of good players on D

Being competitive!! I am right there with you..that is all I want as well. I think we just need to adjust our expectations just a little and a better coach can be found to meet those expectations. Sometimes, with hiring, you catch lightning in a bottle so to speak and you just hit it in a way that is way better than you even expected. That is what we need and have not found as of yet. Yes, we can be smarter in our program...We just need the right leaders. Class of 78...I bet we shared some cold, wet Saturdays sitting on cement seats in old Archbald Stadium...LOL...
The Tulane game. Anyway, my point on Wake is that they have almost the same endowment as us. There donors certainly haven't helped them in hoop. They do have an excellent football coach who gets the most juice out of his orange. We haven't.

We need a full overhaul. I want someone from the outside of anything Syracuse the last few decades.

Don’t care who liked what coach when we’ve been losing. Don’t care if they’d run through a wall. I’m done with platitudes.

Give me Chesney. If that makes some recent players sad, so be it.

I’d love a big name, but I’m just assuming we can’t afford them.

he is 44 years old, which is not young for an up and coming head coach prospect.
1) has he ever interviewed for a head coach job before?
2) if he is a hot prospect why has a big name school not been all over him and at least given him an interview?
3) schools that really want to win will be all over a gut like this supposedly so why has he not had any head coaching jobs>
4) what is the real reason the Syracuse admin has identified him as a so called leader before the current head coach is even gone?

We need a full overhaul. I want someone from the outside of anything Syracuse the last few decades.

Don’t care who liked what coach when we’ve been losing. Don’t care if they’d run through a wall. I’m done with platitudes.

Give me Chesney. If that makes some recent players sad, so be it.

I’d love a big name, but I’m just assuming we can’t afford them.
Chesney has never coached, played or recruited at the major level. There’s an oceans worth of difference especially recruiting

he is 44 years old, which is not young for an up and coming head coach prospect.
1) has he ever interviewed for a head coach job before?
2) if he is a hot prospect why has a big name school not been all over him and at least given him an interview?
3) schools that really want to win will be all over a gut like this supposedly so why has he not had any head coaching jobs>
4) what is the real reason the Syracuse admin has identified him as a so called leader before the current head coach is even gone?
Because he was highly regarded when he was here

Because White's defenses were unequivocally excellent? And obviously not the reason we were losing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom