Tony White | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White

We need a full overhaul. I want someone from the outside of anything Syracuse the last few decades.

Don’t care who liked what coach when we’ve been losing. Don’t care if they’d run through a wall. I’m done with platitudes.

Give me Chesney. If that makes some recent players sad, so be it.

I’d love a big name, but I’m just assuming we can’t afford them.

I agree with that, I don’t want anybody attached to Syracuse however, we tried that with Greg Robinson and it didn’t work so there has to be boundaries or limits. I prefer a guy attached to the ACC or SEC over a Northeast guy. I could be 1000% wrong, but I think it’s the philosophy and culture we need as an indoor program who plays in the ACC.

People say Beck’s a good recruiter. Who has he brought in? Where’s the quarterback?
Only been here 2 years. Had Sellers until he flipped to stay in state. We’ll have to see if Jakhari Williams from Georgia makes it here and if he is any good.

he is 44 years old, which is not young for an up and coming head coach prospect.
1) has he ever interviewed for a head coach job before?
2) if he is a hot prospect why has a big name school not been all over him and at least given him an interview?
3) schools that really want to win will be all over a gut like this supposedly so why has he not had any head coaching jobs>
4) what is the real reason the Syracuse admin has identified him as a so called leader before the current head coach is even gone?
Lol

I can’t wrap my head around hiring a head coach who is a part of losing seasons under Babers. If the new guy wants to retain someone fine but otherwise no thanks.

White may turn out to be a fine head coach I just don’t know how you bring a guy back to be head coach, who was on Babers staff here
He knows how prior coaches have failed at Syracuse because he was one of the coaches that failed at Syracuse

Just throwing this name out there and letting it linger. What about Adam W. He can donate his entire salary to NIL and build a powerhouse

IMG_4698.gif

People say Beck’s a good recruiter. Who has he brought in? Where’s the quarterback?
He’s got a great 4* commit.

After what-is/will-be going down, both he & the 4* Orondé replacement will likely jump ship.

Last edited:
The quote from Josh Black is nice however when Malone bolted his dream job the defensive players were screaming for Shaefer to get the head coach job ,

SU needs to conduct a well thought out and totally inclusive national search for a head coach. without any preconceptions of anybody other than the University needs to hire the best coach they can. Big Period.

They have to decide if they want to be thought of as a school that wants to play winning football or one who wants to collect big checks.

He failed so bad he got a better job?
Defense was ok two years ago, a little better last year, guess what, it's better this year

But if we are going to fire babers, which everyone wants to do, I assume it's because people think they failed.

But that's why I'm not going bananas over babers being the worst ever, I get my head taken off for pointing out that he's exactly average.

I'm not against white. I don't know anything about him, I just don't understand why people are so excited about a guy who was here for two years

Last edited:
Perhaps you gamble on Tony White as a first time head coach….which saves a few bucks. You invest that money in a big time offensive coordinator. That sounds like the SU way.
If you want a big time offensive coordinator you have to make him head coach. Otherwise you're getting a young nobody or an old has been

The quote from Josh Black is nice however when Malone bolted his dream job the defensive players were screaming for Shaefer to get the head coach job ,

SU needs to conduct a well thought out and totally inclusive national search for a head coach. without any preconceptions of anybody other than the University needs to hire the best coach they can. Big Period.

They have to decide if they want to be thought of as a school that wants to play winning football or one who wants to collect big checks.
I worry that Wildhack is a fan and not an AD, which might lead to the hire of a Tony White instead of X (x=the potential for a better coach)

Wildhack loved Tony White.

Look up Tony’s exit article on Syracuse.com. There were a couple quotes from White gushing over JW. Not Dino.
It would be a big gamble.

Unless Red really hits a home run, a poor FB HC hire will likely lead to a JW exit as well.

You mean that the players like Tony White? Players say those kinds of things. Some coaches succeed, some do not. I think I’m falling into the camp of someone who’s been a HC before.

It’s easy ti hate on HCs with mediocre records because they have records. Assistant coaches have no records, so it’s easy to be hopeful with them. I think we need a solid, if not spectacular, head coach. We’re not getting a premier head coach, so someone who’s solid but not a celebrity is who I’d go after. Are there any Dave Clawsons out there?
How many P5 head coaches with mediocre 5+ year records go on to be succesful later on (guess probably less than 10%)

How many successful P5 assistant coaches with no records go on to be successful at P5 head coaching (guess probably 30-40%)

How many sucessful lower level head coaches with good records go on to be successful at P5 head coaching (unsure, feels the same as successful P5 assistant coaches though)

How many sucessful P5 head coaches go on to other P5 head coaching gigs and have success (trick question, we will never write a check for this coach)

The main thing I'm going to be watching for is whether or not SU is willing to spend the money to try to play big boy football. It should be fairly obvious between who they hire and what type of staff they fund putting together.

My main issue with hiring a defensive coach is that you'll likely have a rotating door at offensive coordinator, and likewise with the staff. Either they suck and you have to keep replacing them, or they have success and they're being hired away. Unless maybe they can find someone who's old, who is a good OC but failed as a head coach - then you have to pay them, though.

So it kind of circles back to, what are we doing here? Are we cashing checks to be the bottom feeder in the ACC and waiting on death row for the next round or two of realignment to off us, or are we spending and trying to compete?

We don't need another defensive coach. Certainly not a retread. Syracuse needs a young innovative offensive mind. Syracuse needs Deion without the baggage. Someone to excite the fan base again, and someone offensive players want to come play for.
Maybe the baggage isn't so bad.

I would be okay with Tony White as head coach. He turned this defense into a Juggernaut while he was here. He turned around a putrid Nebraska defense in one year, he develops players and is a high character guy. Is a very good recruiter as well.

Keep Beck as OC, he hasn’t had much to work with this year. The players love him, he has a history of developing QBs, up and coming coach, White has a relationship with one year in the staff with him last year and by all accounts him and his family love Syracuse. Beck is a pretty good recruiter, relates to the kids well, and it would help keep our current QB in the class committed who is pretty dang good.

I wouldn’t mind bringing back Monroe and making him DC. He was a very good recruiter obviously. He now has a year under his belt as a P5 DC, and he called a great game last year in the bowl game. He develops players and puts players in the league. Our secondary was chuck full of studs when he was here. Him and White running the defense together would be fun.

Some other names to look at for position coaches.

David Walker (RB coach)-ex SU running back, just fired as the Bears RB coach

Keep Campanile at Tight Ends-he has been killing it recruiting in Jersey, he is respected, brings vast experience and knowledge

Keep Travis Fisher at Safeties-he is an up and coming coach. Relates well to the kids, brings NFL experience and has done well recruiting

Maybe make Rocky Long an advisor to the head coach or special assistant because he has a great relationship with Tony White. It being White’s first head coaching job he would need all the experience around him and Rocky is a great person for that.

We need a solid o-line hire. Our o-line has been pretty bad for awhile now. Need to hit a home run here. We see how important that position group is now
I disagree with Beck. it ain’t working with him. Start over with a new guy and get oline and dline. White I’m good with but he may not stay or he was told bye Wildhack he would be 1 if Dino got axed.

How about Scott shafer? He knows the limitations here?

You guys are all nuts w this one.
Pretty sure you’re kidding, but there’s no way Shafer ever comes back. The gig at MTSU is just too good for him.

Defense was ok two years ago, a little better last year, guess what, it's better this year

But if we are going to fire babers, which everyone wants to do, I assume it's because people think they failed.

But that's why I'm not going bananas over banners being the worst ever, I get my head taken off for pointing out that he's exactly average.

I'm not against white. I don't know anything about him, I just don't understand why people are so excited about a guy who on here for two years
I'm not high on White .. he may be great but having never run a program in total I would have concerns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom