Tony White | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White

People here need to listen…
Well Josh is a die hard cuser, I wanna hear from someone who doesn’t post about every single SU game. I feel like Josh would’ve said that about any one of his coaches from his time here

If we had hired a successful offensive head coach, we'd have had perfect offensive continuity with Dino Babers running the offense his entire tenure.
It was Sean Lewis’ offense and Dino just got the credit. If it was Dino’s offense and offensive mind then there would have been continuity, as you say. Dino was a dud that hired some good people to make him look competent.

It was Sean Lewis’ offense and Dino just got the credit. If it was Dino’s offense and offensive mind then there would have been continuity, as you say. Dino was a dud that hired some good people to make him look competent.
Right, the point is just in terms of hiring someone you have to plan for the good scenario in terms of continuity. All else equal, a successful offensive head coach will have more continuity. When it doesn't work out, the continuity is irrelevant.

Oh, he's very popular Millhouse. The sportos, motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies and dickheads-they all adore him, they think he's a righteous dude.

Now for his staff:
Mr. White
Mr. Pink
Mr. Orange
Mr. Brown
Mr. Blonde

Now you'll finally get your run and shoot offense.

There’s articles out now saying why Sean Lewis was removed from calling plays. It’s not a good look for Lewis.

Oh, he's very popular Millhouse. The sportos, motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies and dickheads-they all adore him, they think he's a righteous dude.

Now for his staff:
Mr. White
Mr. Pink
Mr. Orange
Mr. Brown
Mr. Blonde

Now you'll finally get your run and shoot offense.
Why does Chip have to be Mr pink

There’s articles out now saying why Sean Lewis was removed from calling plays. It’s not a good look for Lewis.
I'll bet that a lot of people in Cincinnati are thinking of ditching Satterfield and getting Lewis if is available.

The myth of Sean Lewis.
Lewis wasn't even the OC in 2018 for the 10 win season.
That was Mike Lynch...who was also Lewis' Co-OC for the two years Lewis was at SU.
But Lewis was really good on Twitter.
Did you ever watch his Kent State team play?

This sounds like some i'm so in the know game

He coaches cornerbacks here and there. He coached here during seasons that are a big reason why the head coach is going to get fired.

Nebraska is pretty good on defense this year.
(White Nebraska presser)

Taking job at Syracuse University was life-saving decision for defensive coordinator (White family piece)

Reasons why Wildhack may be intrigued by former SU DC Tony White:

-- He's an excellent "youngish" coach who has proven to be a top coordinator in the ACC and now in the BIG10, where the Nebraska D is one of the best in the conference and in the country.

-- White is smart, articulate and comes off as grounded, direct but humble, down-to-earth and open - unlike Dino Babers, who by all accounts is a good man, but who also at times comes off as a bit aloof and somewhat full of himself (for reasons unclear). TW seems as if he'd be more media friendly and transparent about his team/program - unlike Babers who, imho, often seems kinda paranoid and overly guarded about the behind-the-scenes machinations of the team/program. When you watch Coach White in front of the media, he also appears to have that "it" factor about him; that quality that you often see in successful ppl - in all walks of life, in all fields.

-- White's a New Yorker who grew up Queens, coached at Syracuse - so he knows the school, region and recruiting landscape very well. And unlike many other candidates, it's quite possible that White finds Syracuse an attractive landing spot - like previously - bc of its proximity to NYC where his mother, brother (and presumably other family) still presently reside. I'm sure Wildhack would view that aspect of White's bio rather appealing as it may lead to TW wanting to stay long term should he be successful at SU. It makes sense that JW is hoping to find a coach who will be a long term solution for the program with this next hire, not someone who's gonna use it as a stepping stone and jump ship the minute a bigger school comes calling. White potentially profiles as such a coach.

Bottom line: Dino Babers appears to have checked out. He's a nice, decent man but a lousy football coach. His recruiting and player development have been, for the most part, subpar. His game-day decision making is atrocious and his teams consistently lack discipline or an identity. A change is long overdue and needs to be made. HCDB has to go, period.

I don't know if Tony White is the choice to replace him but I can see the appeal he has for ADJW. He's a talented coach who's great at what he does. He's reportedly a good recruiter, his players at SU loved him and played very well under his tutelage. He's a personable, well-spoken family man with good energy who would represent the University well, and who may have some personal motivation to stay at SU even if he's very successful - a potential keeper from JW's POV, I'd imagine.

John Wildhack comes from - and is still in - the "talent recognition business" and maybe having seen DC White operate up close & personal, he believes he sees a rising coaching star in White. And being a forward thinker, maybe he wants to buy in early - now, while he still can - before TW becomes (potentially) "too hot" and out of SU's reach and $ range.

I think if White can be paired with a creative, proven OC and a veteran O-line coach with a history of building strong units, White could be a solid, "proactively" wise hire. I get what JW is possibly thinking here - huge upside at a reasonable cost. Buy early, beat the rush.

Last edited:
(White Nebraska presser)

Taking job at Syracuse University was life-saving decision for defensive coordinator (White family piece)

Reasons why Wildhack may be intrigued by former SU DC Tony White:

-- He's an excellent "youngish" coach who has proven to be a top coordinator in the ACC and now the the BIG10, where the Nebraska D is one of the best in the conference and in the country.

-- White is smart, articulate and comes off as grounded, direct but humble, down-to-earth and open - unlike Dino Babers, who by all accounts is a good man, but who also at times comes off as a bit aloof and somewhat full of himself (for reasons unclear). TW seems as if he'd be more media friendly and transparent about his team/program - unlike Babers who, imho, often seems kinda paranoid and overly guarded about the behind-the-scenes machinations of the team/program. When you watch Coach White in front of the media, he also appears to have that "it" factor about him; that quality that you often see in successful ppl - in all walks of life, in all fields.

-- White's a New Yorker who grew up Queens, coached at SU - so he knows the school, region and recruiting landscape very well. And unlike many other candidates, it's quite possible that White finds Syracuse an attractive landing spot - like previously - bc of its proximity to NYC where his mother, brother (and presumably other family) still presently reside. I'm sure Wildhack would view that aspect of White's bio rather appealing as it may lead to TW wanting to stay long term should he be successful at SU. It makes sense that JW is hoping to find a coach who will be a long term solution for the program with this next hire, not someone who's gonna use it as a stepping stone and jump ship the minute a bigger school comes calling. White potentially profiles as such a coach.

Bottom line: Dino Babers appears to have checked out. He's a nice, decent man but a lousy football coach. His recruiting and player development have been, for the most part, subpar. His game-day decision making is atrocious and his teams consistently lack discipline or an identity. A change is long overdue and needs to be made. HCDB has to go, period.

I don't know if Tony White is the choice to replace him but I can see the appeal he has for ADJW. He's a talented coach who's great at what he does. He's reportedly a good recruiter, his players at SU loved him and played very well under his tutelage. He's a personable, well-spoken family man with good energy who would represent the University well, and who may have some personal motivation to stay at SU even if he's very successful - a potential keeper from JW's POV, I'd imagine.

John Wildhack comes from - and is still in - the "talent recognition business" and maybe having seen DC White operate up close & personal, he believes he sees a rising coaching star in White. And being a forward thinker, maybe he wants to buy in early - now, while he still can - before TW becomes (potentially) "too hot" and out of SU's reach and $ range.

I think if White can be paired with a creative, proven OC and a veteran O-line coach with a history of building strong units, White could be a solid, "proactively" wise hire. I get what JW is possibly thinking here - huge upside at a reasonable cost. Buy early, beat the rush.
I don't know that's he's proven to be a top coordinator in the acc. Maybe he is but I am not convinced

I am skeptical of the family man stuff across the board because this job sucks for families

I am convinced that he appeals to wildhack

The myth of Sean Lewis.
Lewis wasn't even the OC in 2018 for the 10 win season.
That was Mike Lynch...who was also Lewis' Co-OC for the two years Lewis was at SU.
But Lewis was really good on Twitter.
Lewis left because he built that offense … it totally tanked the further they moved away from it. Unlike our previous OC choices (other than Anae) Lewis has built dynamic offenses at every stop and is doing so at Colorado … he has become a fall guy for a team that has a defense that would make Alex Grinch blush.

Sorry but he has shown he can do it at multiple stops and left Lynch a nice setup … Lynch is still on staff and the offense nose dived. Let’s not confuse what he did and what he set the team up for. He helped lay the ground work for that amazing season and if Lynch was so capable why did they look so putrid in 2019 to the point they tapped Gilbert of all people to fix it.

I don't know that's he's proven to be a top coordinator in the acc. Maybe he is but I am not convinced

I am skeptical of the family man stuff across the board because this job sucks for families

Having a head coach who has proven he can run one side of the ball well is a big plus for me. Dino never held a OC or DC job other than once and he was pulled from that after a few games. I think it is a huge advantage and i hope that our next coach has OC and or DC experience.

Tony White and his family lived down the street from my friend for a year. He and his family are friendly people who kept their yard looking nice. That’s all I got.
hired money GIF by Originals

I'm not going to Google the stats but I believe his last year as DC at SU the defense was Top 15 nationally and Top 5 in the ACC or something like that. If those numbers are close to being accurate, that would at least qualify him as a top coordinator in the ACC for THAT season. Same applies to him in the BIG10 for THIS season - if his defense finishes ranked at their current trajectory.

The family angle is conjecture. I'm only pointing out that proximity to loved ones matters to some folks - it matters to some recruits, it matters to some coaches.

Lewis left because he built that offense … it totally tanked the further they moved away from it. Unlike our previous OC choices (other than Anae) Lewis has built dynamic offenses at every stop and is doing so at Colorado … he has become a fall guy for a team that has a defense that would make Alex Grinch blush.

Sorry but he has shown he can do it at multiple stops and left Lynch a nice setup … Lynch is still on staff and the offense nose dived. Let’s not confuse what he did and what he set the team up for. He helped lay the ground work for that amazing season and if Lynch was so capable why did they look so putrid in 2019 to the point they tapped Gilbert of all people to fix it.
At multiple stops? He was co-OC with Lynch at BGSU for 1 year and then at SU.
He went 2-10, 7-6, 3-1, 7-7 and 5-7 with the Golden Flashes.
Now Sanders has demoted him mid-season.
If SU is to replace Babers I would prefer someone with more experience as a winning HC.

(White Nebraska presser)

-- White's a New Yorker who grew up Queens, coached at Syracuse - so he knows the school, region and recruiting landscape very well. And unlike many other candidates, it's quite possible that White finds Syracuse an attractive landing spot - like previously - bc of its proximity to NYC where his mother, brother (and presumably other family) still presently reside. I'm sure Wildhack would view that aspect of White's bio rather appealing as it may lead to TW wanting to stay long term should he be successful at SU. It makes sense that JW is hoping to find a coach who will be a long term solution for the program with this next hire, not someone who's gonna use it as a stepping stone and jump ship the minute a bigger school comes calling. White potentially profiles as such a coach.
Very good write up and think TW has some good attributes. I would make one point that it can be easily argued he used SU as a stepping stone and jumped ship after 2 years.

We did have one and he left … Sean Lewis so I disagree.
You keep missing my point, so I must be failing to communicate well. Let me start over.

When either unit of your team is successful, those coordinators are ripe for the picking for head coach gigs elsewhere, so you'll experience turnover and have to keep hiring good people. That is hard to sustain. So you ideally want to minimize turnover in the people running your units.

OK, now, most head coaches run a unit and are responsible for the scheme. So when those coordinators get hired away, you're not losing the person who runs the unit and is responsible for the scheme. So you maintain continuity on that side of the ball.

Most schools want to hire offensive minded head coaches, so you're going to be likely to experience more turnover of the people running your schemes on offense if you have a defensive minded head coach than you will on defense if you have an offensive minded head coach. Simply because offensive guys get hired as head coaches more often, so those candidates get cycled through faster.

You were referencing Lewis as if WE had him as a head coach, we did not. When he left, we maintained our theoretical continuity on offense under our offensive head coach in Babers. The issue is Dino hasn't been successful overseeing the offense here and has churned through coordinators, becoming more of a "CEO" model head coach. I don't think CEO model head coaches are very often sustainable outside the powerhouse schools that can pay top dollar to retain top coordinators and replace them with top talent when they leave. And Dino isn't even a good CEO model head coach.

Anyway the point is, there's a tradeoff to hiring a defensive minded head coach - you're probably going to have a hard time keeping a successful offensive coordinator for more than two years of success before they get hired away, which means you're going to have to overhaul the scheme/system/terminology every couple of years or limit yourself to promoting from within which is also risky.

I like white a lot more after listening to him. He checks most of the boxes. He experience no, but most other things like being from nyc and all the ties he has here. What was the real reason he left for Nebraska. I was told we offered him more money but in me head he couldn’t deal with Dino anymore lol. Does anyone know the truth. One last thing, I think he already had the talk with JW about if Dino fails that he will be his first call and I hope it works out for all of us. We damn well deserve a good team. I have no issues paying higher seat prices for a team that comes after u every game and never quits. Gotta be aggressive in o,d,and specials. Fire Babers and hire White and get a damn good oc with a great line coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom