Tyus Battle-1st career start | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus Battle-1st career start

As a few of us were saying, Tyus is used to playing big minutes (and starting). He needed to get into the flow. This game was a huge building block for him. White is obviously a 3 not a 2 and Lydon is a 4. This puts everyone in their natural positions.

Roberson is on the outside looking in. I won't shed a tear. He's still a poor offensive player. Why can't he ever go up strong inside and finish? And his shooting is still not very good. One of the more enigmatic, frustrating players we've had. Even today, he did bring great effort, but the results were not there.

Do you think he just doesn't like contact? So many times instead of potentially delivering a poster dunk he will attempt some hang in the air-avoiding type layup and he gets all contorted.

Last year? Frank played 10 mpg as a freshman. He played well against Gonzaga and Virginia in the NCAAT and against GEORGIA TECH and PITT during the season/ACC tournament. Those were all top 100 teams.

Hence why I said didn't really do anything. He didn't play well, he was on the court and didn't do much, just because you don't play horrific doesn't mean you played well.

Define poor. What does that mean? He had 10 pts and shot 3-7 from the floor and 1-2 from the three point land. Had 3 assists and 2 steals. Where did he look poor?

Defense, passing, pretty much everything except scoring 10 points in 20 minutes. The 3-7 from the line was probably the worse thing next to his defense that game.

I think he's a fine player, but again, when are we going to see a game like this against a solid team? Jury is still out.

Hence why I said didn't really do anything. He didn't play well, he was on the court and didn't do much, just because you don't play horrific doesn't mean you played well.

So scoring 10 pts in 24 minutes isn't doing anything? Howard was our 2nd leading scorer. You also said he was poor. Was he poor or didn't didnt do anything other than score 10 of our 50 points?

Having 6 assists in 14 minutes and hitting the free throw late to beat Georgia Tech is doing something. Had 6 assists at Louisville. Had 5 assists vs Pitt. Limited minutes. That's doing something.

Last edited:
Defense, passing, pretty much everything except scoring 10 points in 20 minutes. The 3-7 from the line was probably the worse thing next to his defense that game.

I think he's a fine player, but again, when are we going to see a game like this against a solid team? Jury is still out.

Had 3 assists and 2 steals in 24 minutes. That led the team. South Carolina is a solid team, right? We saw it.

Last edited:
He gone.

19 points on 4-5 from three.
Too bad. JB was going to try to give him the MCW treatment...don't give him quite enough minutes to get on NBA scout radar to keep him for an extra year.

For all those that think Battle is gone he's not on the draftexpress mock draft. I trust that site way more than nbadraft.net. I understand that it could completely change in 6 months.

DraftExpress: Mock Draft

really too early to speculate. hope tyus realizes that if you aren't a truly dominant college player the pros are out of reach.

it's early still but right now he's not what i would call dominant. that could all change by march.

The kid is averaging 7, 1, and 1 and has his 2nd good game of the year and we're talking NBA. He hasn't done anything yet but make some spot up open 3's.

Come on, this is as cliché as it gets.

Alright Alright. It is. I want to see him do this against UConn and Georgetown. Wisconsin and South Carolina didn't go so great. I think all of our guys outside of DC and White have played below their potential to date this year.

If we are going to be great we need Battle and Lydon to live up to their preseason hype.

Too bad. JB was going to try to give him the MCW treatment...don't give him quite enough minutes to get on NBA scout radar to keep him for an extra year.
I don't believe that was ever his intention; Battle was playing serious minutes all along.

As for MCW, he was clearly the fourth best guard in a stacked backcourt his freshman year, and got the minutes that were warranted that season. The notion that he was the same player that he was as sophomore was, and continues to be, ridiculous.

I don't believe that was ever his intention; Battle was playing serious minutes all along.

As for MCW, he was clearly the fourth best guard in a stacked backcourt his freshman year, and got the minutes that were warranted that season. The notion that he was the same player that he was as sophomore was, and continues to be, ridiculous.

You didn't hear? Players don't ever develop here.

really too early to speculate. hope tyus realizes that if you aren't a truly dominant college player the pros are out of reach.

it's early still but right now he's not what i would call dominant. that could all change by march.

When were Ennis, Grant, McCullough, and Mali truly dominate outside of a game here and there?

You didn't hear? Players don't ever develop here.

That's a very blanket statement, I don't think anybody has said that but there seems to be more issues with development than there have been in the past.

That's a very blanket statement, I don't think anybody has said that but there seems to be more issues with development than there have been in the past.

I disagree. Guys who got better here under the current staff:

Frank Howard is better.
D.C. has a post game he didn't have.
I'm still confident Lydon has a stronger season than last.
Gbinije
Roc
Jerami Grant
James Southerland
Malachi got better last year as the season went on

I'd go back further, but can't remember when Gerry came on as a grad assistant.

I know people want to focus on the lack
of big production, but come on. Duke and UK get five star bigs that don't develop all the time(Chase Jeter, Skal, Zoubek, Daniel Orton). This isn't something that happens just at Syracuse. For some reason there is a greater chance you miss on bigs than any other position.

Frank Howard is better.
Gbinije
Roc
Jerami Grant
James Southerland

of big production, but come on. Duke and UK get five star bigs that don't develop all the time(Chase Jeter, Skal, Zoubek, Daniel Orton). This isn't something that happens just at Syracuse. For some reason there is a greater chance you miss on bigs than any other position.

Not sure I totally agree with your list but I do get your point. It's almost about even on the guys who've developed and haven't.

why is this word so difficult for people?

I could probably count using my hands and toes the combined amount of times that those 4 were truly dominate in a game, let alone being dominate over the course of a season to get drafted.

Not directed at you pearl, but to others.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO DOMINATE NOR EVEN BE AN ALL CONFERENCE 3RD TEAMER TO BE DRAFTED.

Stop being so surprised when it happens...

I could probably count using my hands and toes the combined amount of times that those 4 were truly dominate in a game, let alone being dominate over the course of a season to get drafted.

Not directed at you pearl, but to others.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO DOMINATE NOR EVEN BE AN ALL CONFERENCE 3RD TEAMER TO BE DRAFTED.

Stop being so surprised when it happens...

I think he was referring to the difference between dominate (verb) and dominant (adjective)

Last edited:
Not sure I totally agree with your list but I do get your point. It's almost about even on the guys who've developed and haven't.
I don't think we are better or worse than comparable teams at developing kids. Assuming most of our recruits are four stars, I would guess we have about the same amount that sniff the NBA draft or maybe even more. Plus the one thing that has made our program is the consistency of JAB to put out an NCAA quality team each season for the majority of 41 years. Do people want to look at the macro or the micro. The last eight years we have had two final fours, an elite eight and two sweet sixteens. That's pretty good whether our kids are developing properly or not. And we have had 13 kids drafted in that time frame, eight of them in the first round. It's hard to argue for anyone that we have underachieved.

Frank Howard is better.
Gbinije
Roc
Jerami Grant
James Southerland

Yeah, I feel like Duke has had a ton of highly touted big guys who didn't pan out into much, going all the way back to Greg Newton and Taymon Domzalski.

I don't think we are better or worse than comparable teams at developing kids. Assuming most of our recruits are four stars, I would guess we have about the same amount that sniff the NBA draft or maybe even more. Plus the one thing that has made our program is the consistency of JAB to put out an NCAA quality team each season for the majority of 41 years. Do people want to look at the macro or the micro. The last eight years we have had two final fours, an elite eight and two sweet sixteens. That's pretty good whether our kids are developing properly or not. And we have had 13 kids drafted in that time frame, eight of them in the first round. It's hard to argue for anyone that we have underachieved.

I do think we've under and over achieved if that makes any sense. Underachieved in the regular season, overachieved in the post season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom