UCONN…. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UCONN….

Hurley rebuilt a program that may well win back to back national championships.
Hop had good recruits and couldn't win with them.
Hop's out of a job while Hurley is going to the final four.
We dodged a bullet with Hop. I'll take my chances with Red.

Then I apologize, but the number ain’t 4 and I’m not saying what it would be.
Oh, I’ve lost a lot of interest over the past 7 yrs or so in basketball. Used to be I would live and die by every game… now I watched like 4 games this season. I still watch every football game, but basketball was always my #2. So I’m guessing it would be 1 more than I said… more upsetting

I think I root for them losing more than I root for my Powerball ticket.
Yeah, I need anyone else to win… im not counting on that though. Luckily I like other sports (soccer). So I can be more annoyed if and probably when Arsenal loses later today

Even if Hop couldn't bring success on the court w X's and O's, he challenges and wins some of these key recruits and portal transfers that Hurley is getting. Hop was a masterful recruiter and was key during our pre-2015 success. We were all booking our hotel rooms at East Region sites in January at one point we were so good.

Last edited:
Not true. Hop would have done well. His connections were east coast. He was coach of the year twice. I believe that he would have crushed it at SU

I agree that the University taking too long to take the program back from JB is still being felt, big time. Hop=Hurley is a big stretch in my opinion. Recruiting wise maybe. Game day and game prep...not close.

As I have said on the past
JB was set to retire and watch buddy play basketball. Then Buddy blew up.
What should have happened was buddy should have gone to Gonzaga or UNC and JB should have watched his son as a dad and enjoyed his time. Instead uconn is on a whole different level and we are playing catch up

Our fans love to give material to the boneyard. They get off to this stuff. I don’t get why you guys give them the satisfaction. And I’m referring to multiple posts/threads not just this one.
The fact they love to talk about us after our years of irrelevancy and having not played us in years is wild to me. The closest link we have to them are our message boards. Some of these fans are acting like jilted exes who stalk social media accounts to make themselves feel better about their own lives.

But hey, I guess part of fandom for some people is not only being proud of your teams accomplishments but also making sure other fanbases are miserable.

I don’t think you understand the meaning of the word “directly”

Literally none of UConn’s success is directly related to Boeheim. You may stretch your thinking to infer that there was some indirect influence, but that’s an extreme stretch.

This is one of the weirder threads I’ve ever seen. The basketball world didn’t revolve around decisions made by Boeheim.

Literally none of UConn’s success is directly related to Boeheim. You may stretch your thinking to infer that there was some indirect influence, but that’s an extreme stretch.

This is one of the weirder threads I’ve ever seen. The basketball world didn’t revolve around decisions made by Boeheim.
JB's powers are immense. I understand he even cooked up a little climate change in his spare time.

Call it indirectly then. We're basically playing around w semantics at this point. Yes, under Boeheim this program lost its way recruiting the northeast. If you don’t think Hopkins brings Andre Jackson and challenges and wins other recruits that UConn snagged, then you don't know how this works. Hop was a master recruiter, Boeheim used to be, somewhat, but as we saw these last few years he definitely lost it.

JB's powers are immense. I understand he even cooked up a little climate change in his spare time.
It is not that much of a stretch that Danny Hurley would have more struggles and battles with his recruiting if Hopwas at Syracuse, that is not that big of a stretch is it?

Would he still have success? Yes

It’s annoying that UConn is very likely to win their 4th? I think national championship
And we are never going to catch them. They'll always have more than us (5 I believe if they win it next weekend) . It's truly irritating.

Call it indirectly then. We're basically playing around w semantics at this point. Yes, under Boeheim this program lost its way recruiting the northeast. If you don’t think Hopkins brings Andre Jackson and challenges and wins other recruits that UConn snagged, then you don't know how this works. Hop was a master recruiter, Boeheim used to be, somewhat, but as we saw these last few years he definitely lost it.
What’s weird about your whole original hypothesis was it was based on the JB/Hop decisions (if JB retired and Hop took over then ….)

But the problem with your hypothesis is Hop went on to be a head coach and just got fired because he wasn’t successful. You’re inferring Hop would have been successful here, and the lynchpin between it all was Andre Jackson. Those are some pretty extreme leaps.

Regardless, nothing JB did was directly related to UConn. There may be some tiny indirect things because Hurley won a few players both teams were recruiting. But it’s not like we recruited all of the players that Hurley landed.

Andre Jackson would have come here ... if UConn stayed in the American Athletic Conference.

Once UConn rejoined the BE, and Andre's parents had the ability to drive to all of his home games, most of his road games, and the BET, that made the difference.

It also helped that UConn offered his younger brother Marcus a scholarship when the kid was 13. Marcus ended up at UAlbany.

It is not that much of a stretch that Danny Hurley would have more struggles and battles with his recruiting if Hopwas at Syracuse, that is not that big of a stretch is it?

Would he still have success? Yes
This stuff makes for good (or maybe bad) off-season message board fodder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom