UConn cancels football season | Syracusefan.com

UConn cancels football season

Probably a good move. Between scheduling impossibilities, and the thought of Randy Edsall trying to manage pandemic protocols (could make Addazio look human), they're better off shutting it down now. Will get some good PR out of it too.

Last edited:
Easy move to the school to drop the football program back to FCS now.

They are going to have a hard scheduling and this move will accelerate the push to save money.

Everyone will love this but this is a tragic set of circumstances for UConn. They are the example of a school that tried to build a major football power in the northeast. It was a success considering they actually got to a Fiesta Bowl and were competitive in the old Big East. I applaud their efforts. Their senator probably put the nail in the coffin when he sued BC, et al and essentially choked them out of an ACC invitation (which they should have gotten had they not sued).

I feel bad for my UConn friends who actually had a ton of school spirit associated with this football program.

This is bad news for the northeast football machinery.

If you're a UConn Senior, you're kinda screwed.

Too late to transfer somewhere else. Unless it's to an FCS school that's playing in the Spring.

Everyone will love this but this is a tragic set of circumstances for UConn. They are the example of a school that tried to build a major football power in the northeast. It was a success considering they actually got to a Fiesta Bowl and were competitive in the old Big East. I applaud their efforts. Their senator probably put the nail in the coffin when he sued BC, et al and essentially choked them out of an ACC invitation (which they should have gotten had they not sued).

I feel bad for my UConn friends who actually had a ton of school spirit associated with this football program.

Screw UConn they did nothing right.
They got handed a golden ticket into a BCS conference by going Division 1 and then acted like they are god’s gift to the Big East because they became solid while we had Greg Robinson.

UConn cut to the head of the line in division 1 football and when they were shown how valuable they truly are they complained and sued.

When you sue the group you want to be part up you deserve nothing and that is what they got. UConn didn’t deserve in the ACC over Pitt/Syracuse or Louisville.

I have never had a worse experience at a road venue than I had in October 2005 on a Friday Night in East Hartford, CT.

Worst fanbase ever.

They never appreciated the golden ticket they were given. Programs like BYU, Boise, TCU have had to scrap their ways in division 1 football for years and never been given the treatment UConn got. Louisville played in Conference USA and worked their way up. Louisville way more worthy of the last ACC spot over sUeConn.

Screw them and I hope they enjoy Yankee conference schedules in the future.

That fanbase does not treat visiting fans well at all. What they did to BC fans in the early 2000s before BC left was part of the reason they didn’t want to play them.
Their fanbase entitlement is so disgusting they deserve what has happened in realignment.

I don’t feel bad for UConn. I point to your second sentence. They did not TRY to build a major football program. They sat back while the BE schools did all the heavy lifting to establish the conference. They sat back and waited until all the other schools took all of the risk. They are the only school in history who was able to move up to D1 directly into a BCS level conference. The only one. Automatic bowl tie-ins, TV revenue, established opponents who were known commodities. UConn waltzed in like the hot mess sister who was late to Thanksgiving dinner while everyone waited for her. Didn’t help prepare the meal, but complains about the food. I have no sympathy for UConn.

Last edited:
I don’t feel bad for UConn. I point to your second sentence. They did not TRY to build a major football program. They say back while the BE schools did all the heavy lifting to establish the conference. They sat back and waited until all the other schools took all of the risk. They are the only school in history who was able to move up to D1 directly into a BCS level conference. The only one. Automatic bowl tie-ins, TV revenue, established opponents who were known commodities. UConn waltzed in like the hot mess sister who was late to Thanksgiving dinner while everyone waited for her. Didn’t help prepare the meal, but complains about the food. I have no sympathy for a UConn.
Ding ding.
They did nothing right.

Cincinnati, Louisville were playing college football in the midmajors and they built their programs to where the Big East wanted them. USF created their program from scratch went to CUSA and got called up to the BE.

UConn got handed a golden ticket from FCS to a BCS League. Screw them.

The nail in the coffin for the program. Kids should be allowed to transfer out with no penalty in time for the Spring semester.

Not surprising. With all of the issues this seemed the only course of action.

Not surprising. With all of the issues this seemed the only course of action.
There isn’t going to be college football this fall. We all know it.
UConn couldn’t create a schedule so they rightfully made this announcement now. They couldn’t let their players train when they didn’t have a schedule.

Their ability to stay FBS now is the question the administration over there is contemplating. The program is a money drain on the university and now they can reassign Edsall and cut back spending and drop down to FCS with political cover that it’s because of the pandemic.

It was inevitable but it is still kind of shocking to see this formally announced.

I am saddened whenever athletes who dedicate so much time and effort to prepare for their sport are not able to play. It stinks, especially for the seniors.

Will UConn be the first of many BCS teams to cancel, or an outlier?

At this point, I have no idea.

Screw UConn they did nothing right.
They got handed a golden ticket into a BCS conference by going Division 1 and then acted like they are god’s gift to the Big East because they became solid while we had Greg Robinson.

UConn cut to the head of the line in division 1 football and when they were shown how valuable they truly are they complained and sued.

When you sue the group you want to be part up you deserve nothing and that is what they got. UConn didn’t deserve in the ACC over Pitt/Syracuse or Louisville.

I have never had a worse experience at a road venue than I had in October 2005 on a Friday Night in East Hartford, CT.

Worst fanbase ever.

They never appreciated the golden ticket they were given. Programs like BYU, Boise, TCU have had to scrap their ways in division 1 football for years and never been given the treatment UConn got. Louisville played in Conference USA and worked their way up. Louisville way more worthy of the last ACC spot over sUeConn.

Screw them and I hope they enjoy Yankee conference schedules in the future.

That fanbase does not treat visiting fans well at all. What they did to BC fans in the early 2000s before BC left was part of the reason they didn’t want to play them.
Their fanbase entitlement is so disgusting they deserve what has happened in realignment.

I stand by everything I said. I feel bad for the university. I'm swayed by personal feelings and people i know that are close who went there, played there, etc. They did not handle everything right. Obviously. The lawsuit was truly a dumb idea by a single attorney general/now senator. He did a reverse Governor Warner.

But to state that they somehow swindled their way into D1 is your opinion. I think they took advantage of their basketball programs and leveraged into bigtime football.

This is not good for Northeast football.

i agree with you it's a moot point b/c no college football is playing. This stings more because there's more to this decision as you said. They are going to be done playing D1 football.

I stand by everything I said. I feel bad for the university. I'm swayed by personal feelings and people i know that are close who went there, played there, etc. They did not handle everything right. Obviously. The lawsuit was truly a dumb idea by a single attorney general/now senator. He did a reverse Governor Warner.

But to state that they somehow swindled their way into D1 is your opinion. I think they took advantage of their basketball programs and leveraged into bigtime football.

This is not good for Northeast football.

i agree with you it's a moot point b/c no college football is playing. This stings more because there's more to this decision as you said. They are going to be done playing D1 football.
Villanova has a better FCS program than UConn did. Have a better geography to recruit from and they didn’t join the BE football conference.

UConn got a golden ticket.
Any FCS football program would take the path UConn was afforded if offered.

Louisville won 2 NCs in basketball in the 1980s it didn’t help their football conference. Louisville FB on the field won games became successful and earned their way from CUSA to BE to ACC.

That is what UConn never did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom